Thigh strapping/adhesive question

I know that a lot/most troopers use a garter system for attaching their thighs at the top. I decided instead to try a small strap of nylon that connects between the inside of the ab plate and the top of the thigh. The male side being on the ab and thigh and the female side on the strap. This works very well unless excessive movement is required. I have had a couple "wardrobe malfunctions" that, with rubber chemical gloves on, are nothing short of a pain to re-attach.

I am starting a new armor project soon and will go with the garter. However, I want to avoid the snap at the top of the thigh and use a plastic clip but a strap still needs to be attached to the top/inside of the thigh. What have you troopers used as an adhesive that bonds nylon to abs? Is it all E6000 or is there another option?

Is this HIPS Or ABS? I ask in that i did the same thing (strap from thigh to bottom of ab plate) on my old FX kit and did the Rose Parade and a few downs of football and been OK. That was ABS and I used ABS cement. I do a garter now for HIPS though...

You need to use a strip of plastic, ABS or for sale sign across the strap so that it is the strip that is sticking to the armor. Make sure you rough up the armor site and the plastic strip. FYI: the Loctite brand of glue for plastics works awesome. Just make sure adhering sides of whatever you are sticking together are roughed up good.

Is this HIPS Or ABS? I ask in that i did the same thing (strap from thigh to bottom of ab plate) on my old FX kit and did the Rose Parade and a few downs of football and been OK. That was ABS and I used ABS cement. I do a garter now for HIPS though...

The new armor will be ABS. How long did you need to let this set?

I used E6000 to bond my nylon snap plates directly to the armor, and it works like a charm. Elastic is easier to tear off the armor, so make sure it's just the nylon webbing.

Thanks for the info, Dan! Maybe I am not understanding you completely... I am trying to AVOID using snaps here at all. The strap will be sewn to the garter. One end of a small plastic clip will then be attached to that strap near the garter. The other side of that plastic clip will be attached to the nylon strap that will run to the top of the thigh. I will have nothing but nylon strap against the inside, top of the thigh. Paul already suggested ABS glue for this. I already have plasti-weld and am wondering if anyone has used this to bond nylon strap with ABS?

Interesting idea. I imagine you can get away with gluing the end nylon strap to the top of the thigh with e-6000. A bunch of us use nylon webbing as snap plates adhered with e-6000. Also... if it works to glue the elastic inside the shoulder bells it should work at the top of the thigh with nylon strap webbing.

Ā 

If you do decide to put a strip of plastic over the nylon as well, I suggest having it run down the thigh in the direction of the pull. That should provide better reinforcement than a perpendicular strip across the strap.

Ā 

What sort of plastic clip were you thinking? Like a backpack type squeeze release buckle thing?

Ā 

Post pics when you're done :)

Ā 

Aloha,

Ā 

-Eric

The new armor will be ABS. How long did you need to let this set?

Ā 

Realize I used snaps and snap plates. It's been so long I don't recall, but ABS cement cures in an hour or so for light weight duty - I'd not touch it for 24 hours though for something weight bearing.

Yeah Eric...the squeeze kind. You can get them fairly small so that they won't be uncomfortable under the cod. Once they are "clicked" in, they're really strong.

I can't visualize for the life of me your "nylon webbing snap plate" Any way you can post a pic?

Edited by gazmosis

Now I'm stepping in what you're laying down! I thought nylon "webbing" was more like screen. It's in fact nylon strap. Same deal. But anyway, E6000 or ABS cement glues these to the armor?

Edited by gazmosis

I've had mine (identical to Martin's) on with these webbing tabs for over a year of trooping with zero issues.

Use E-6000 if you go with this solution. I can't say how abs-cement will react with the webbing or if it gives a good bond.

Edited by Locitus

I used snaps with styrene plastic plates to glue the snaps to my armor. Then I made an elastic straps with webbing for reinforcement and snaps on that. They run behind my drop boxes to stay hidden.

Ā 

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

For some reason it was the snap that was failing to remain...well..snapped. Perhaps the ones I used were too small (line 24's) anyway, I tried elastic strap instead of the nylon and the weight of the thigh itself pulled the thigh down making it ride lower than I wanted. I like the elastic/nylon combo. Moot point if using the garter system. I just need to settle on a nylon to ABS adhesive. Leaning toward white PVC cement right now.

On 11/29/2011 at 5:43 AM, MartinSivertsen said:

I'll do it for him :)

-----------

Ā 

Ā 

Ha.... I thought man those look so similar to the nylon strap snap plates I used... oh wait a what what... they are mine :)

Ā 

I had two of them come off so far and they were both because of an uneven and rushed e-6000 application. The other eleventeen of them are rock steady.

Ā 

Aloha,

Ā 

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It won't break my bank to get both the white PVC cement and a tube of E6000. And try them both. I will follow up on the decision when I post the armor build in a few months.

Thanks all for your help!!!