The FX bucket...

..here we go..... :) ..after reading the blaster thread, and seeing it nearly hijacked with discussion of the FX lid, I desided to start this can o worms! If the Elite is the best of the best, does the FX bucket fit the bill?

Personaly, I would say no..and heres my reasoning..the helmet is the focal point of your costume.. there really is no way to modify it to look acurate like say, a Rubies Vader..even the FX armor can be modified to look very close to screen used, and for larger troopers, FX armor really is the only option ....but the lid? not so much....there are other large size, more accurate helmets available ( RT Mod, ANHV2..)..I have a big noggin and wear glasses, and I fit in a ANV2 with three fans and a voice amp no problem..

..and I realize there are very few troops who have reached Elite status,I am still working towards it, but I don't think waiting to upgrade the standards makes much sence...we know what looks correct, most of it is readily available...so why wait to raise the bar?

To me, the harder it is to achive, the more it will mean in the long run...

I'd be completely happy with dis-allowing the FX bucket for Elite standards.

1) It's the most visibly inaccurate of the entire FX kit

2) It's too large proportionally on most anyone under 6'3", and for folks that size there are other makes that look fine.

3) Other makes are readily available.

4) It's on it's way out already. It used to be that sporting an ANH lid was pretty rare, but more and more I'm seeing that they are displacing FX Legion wide. My observation is that the sandtroopers are already ahead of the curve, but it's getting more and more standard in the TK ranks as well.

5) Cost is less of an issue. Presuming you can sell your FX lid for $100, the delta on upgrading is less than $200 in kit form for pretty much any other model.

Gets my vote in a heart beat :)

I agree with both, the higher we set the bar the better. but as a FX lid ANH elite, were would that but current FX elite holders and new potencial FX Elite, when FX helms are a no for Status. Short and long terms? I guess there would be grace/wait period after the FISD makes it official, right? There has been underground talk that the FX retailers have been getting many a request to get not only the helmets but armor up graded, I have talked to my FX provider and there was mention of this sometime ago. any idea of vote time on this???

I agree with both, the higher we set the bar the better. but as a FX lid ANH elite, were would that but current FX elite holders and new potencial FX Elite, when FX helms are a no for Status. Short and long terms? I guess there would be grace/wait period after the FISD makes it official, right? There has been underground talk that the FX retailers have been getting many a request to get not only the helmets but armor up graded, I have talked to my FX provider and there was mention of this sometime ago. any idea of vote time on this???

To be clear, FX is not on the out with respect to Elite status so there is no immediate concern with those working towards status with an FX helmet nor those that have achieved status with the helmet.

wow, I got to sit back and see where this one goe's :unsure: This can be a very touchy subject, as it was the last few times we had it...I am all for getting rid of the FX Bucket, unless you have a size 8 head :D

I think we should get rid of it for elite status all the way, but what about those who have already attained thier elite status with an FX bucket? :unsure: what will become of them?

wow, I got to sit back and see where this one goe's :unsure: This can be a very touchy subject, as it was the last few times we had it...I am all for getting rid of the FX Bucket, unless you have a size 8 head :D

I have a 7 7/8 sized head and I wear an AP :D

Yes I have to force and flex my helmet to get it on and off. Also no room in there for silly comforts like a fan or hard hat liner (the top of the helmet sits on my head), but by golly it looks good. :D

feat_1787.jpg

Let's can the FX bucket for Elite status.

It's not only because the the FX is too big, but rather because it's such a casually-informed interpretation of what a trooper helmet looks like. It's a true caricature: the eyes are wrong, the frown is ridiculous, the cheek/side tubes are out of control, and the overall shape is more like a large coffee can rather than a curved helmet. (phew... it feels good to get that off my chest)...

But to continue: I don't think the matter should be decided by a vote of FX bucketeers with Elite status. Although the status is granted by FISD, it's essentially a public acknowledgement of what we all consider to be the best.

Grandfather those already with Elite status. They really did earn it at a time when things were different (a time when it was a lot harder to assemble a good suit).

But thanks to everyone's hard work and rising awareness, standards are changing. Eliminating the FX would be a good way to recognize that.

I would agree to keep the existing elite FX members, that's only fair, and really it's not that big of an issue really, considering there's only a handful of elite members at the moment. Now would be the time to change the stardards or requirements though. I really don't think it's an issue that should be sitting on the back burner, it should definitely be addressed and decided right now, versus later.

I would agree to keep the existing elite FX members, that's only fair, and really it's not that big of an issue really, considering there's only a handful of elite members at the moment. Now would be the time to change the stardards or requirements though. I really don't think it's an issue that should be sitting on the back burner, it should definitely be addressed and decided right now, versus later.

Yes! we should do this now why wait any longer? B)

Well as a FX Elite, i do like the idea that current FX lid wearing trooper, keep there rank!!!!

I honestly think that yes getting a better looking helmet is a must, but for me at least that will be a big issue. the average cost of the better helms for down here is around 5-6 months of salary.... no joke US $ to Bolivian peso is really high. That is some thing that i would have to start saving for and prioratiz (sp?) to see what i can do with out to get the helmet. as for a vote i would have to see what is to my advantage. i do think that there should be a grace period of 8 months to a year. for the FX elite current holders and new applicants in before a formal detachment vote is done. I think that since Scott got a new helm i am the only FX Elite...... that right????

Man i feel endangered.... but i do want the FISD to be better then it is now and if that means that i get a Honerable discharge for my helm i can live with that, if i am not mistake the MEPD still keeps fx lid as an option ( it is discorageed but its allowed) so we could not only set the bar higher here but in general. after all i am the first Bolivian 501st and Firrst Bolivian to get Elite so i can hold my chin high.

so i suggest that the actual vote plans of how when,were ..etc starts.

and i see what way i vote on the different options i have to choose from.

*looks to see who started this thread..... :angry::P

Well as a FX Elite, i do like the idea that current FX lid wearing trooper, keep there rank!!!!

I honestly think that yes getting a better looking helmet is a must, but for me at least that will be a big issue. the average cost of the better helms for down here is around 5-6 months of salary.... no joke US $ to Bolivian peso is really high. That is some thing that i would have to start saving for and prioratiz (sp?) to see what i can do with out to get the helmet. as for a vote i would have to see what is to my advantage. i do think that there should be a grace period of 8 months to a year. for the FX elite current holders and new applicants in before a formal detachment vote is done. I think that since Scott got a new helm i am the only FX Elite...... that right????

Man i feel endangered.... but i do want the FISD to be better then it is now and if that means that i get a Honerable discharge for my helm i can live with that, if i am not mistake the MEPD still keeps fx lid as an option ( it is discorageed but its allowed) so we could not only set the bar higher here but in general. after all i am the first Bolivian 501st and Firrst Bolivian to get Elite so i can hold my chin high.

so i suggest that the actual vote plans of how when,were ..etc starts.

and i see what way i vote on the different options i have to choose from.

*looks to see who started this thread..... :angry::P

..I'm all for grandfathering the existing FX elite..TK MD rocks!...I do feel that we should step up the standards sooner rather than later...

My my my! What elitists we've all become and in such short time! The FISD has been around for over a year now, we're still in our infantile stage of our progression. It took quite a while to come up with "elite" qualifications, we tried to make them fair and obtainable. The quallifications are fine for right now. Why? How many "elite" statused members do we have? Just a handful. Others are working on it, which is great... it does not mean it's time to raise the bar. How long as the MEPD been in operation? I don't know the definitive answer but "a hell of a lot longer than us" is one way of putting it. Have they seen fit to ban certain armor/helmet types that are allowed by for 501st Legion membership? I don't believe so. What have they done: they raised the bar by making a TD more like a TD should be; with a pack, dirty, a BFG, etc.

Part of the point of a detachment is to help the costuming standards and we are already way ahead of the curve in regards to the Legion's TK standards. By shutting out others in FX helmets, you're driving away many others who like their helmets. The ANH V2 is not screen accurate either, so why would that be accepted, because it's a bit more accurate? How long until those helmets are not considered "elite?" Why stop at the helmet? We all know the FX kit is not completely accurate either, so if we're voting, let's just vote out the FX kit all together!

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Given the rate at which we're going, that'll be the conversation by next summer. If you want your "elite" status to be a label of elitism, you can have it and you'll enjoy the company of the dozen or so guys who have the same label. I'm for raising the bar, but how about taking it one piece at a time?

But that's just the thoughts of a large craniumed trooper who happens to like his helmet, despite how inaccurate it may be. When I complete my upgrades and if I qualify for deployment at that time, I seriously doubt I'd submit it if this is the attitude of the "elite."

It's sad really. I've been here since almost the beginning and I never thought I'd see a time so quickly that people turned so elitist.

I agree with butah fett to a point. We shouldnt be getting elitist. That usually tears a club apart in the end. Some people cant spend anymore on the armor and helmets they have. Its an option as far as I can see. I hate the FX and I think it looks just plain silly on a trooper, but hey, if you like it then keep it. Who are we to get all high and mighty about it. I say for now FISD need to stay put. Dont push new members away. This forum still has a long way to go.

I'm afraid that I must agree with Carlos. As a newbie under construction, some of us that wish to go for elite status cant afford to upgrade the helmet as we spent most of our money on the rest of the armor. I can do all the rest of the standards because they are basically mods to the kit but to outright replace a perfectly good bucket just to comply with the elite status would be beyond my price range at the moment.

But I have a question. What EXACTLY is it about the FX bucket that has people all hot and bothered by it? Yes it is bigger than the others, has the wrong aerators and the trapezoids are too big but is there anything else that is glaringly "wrong" with it? It seems that the only people that complain about it are the troopers. I have never seen any of the public that we entertain, and face it, thats what most of us are in this for, ever come up to someone using an FX bucket and say, "Isnt your head too big?"

Dont get me wrong...I have been a Star Wars Fanatic since I saw it in 77 at 12 years old and I am all for being accurate. I spent over $4000.00 on my Vader for just that reason BUT no one and I mean no one but us, sees any kind of difference between what is on screen and what we are wearing. FX bucket included. As someone getting ready to join the 501st and hopefully apply for elite status with the FISD, I wonder sometimes with everything I have seen, that perhaps we might be getting a bit out of hand on the subject of "screen accuracy". I am all for standards, though. No one wants to see the "duct tape" or "paper machie" trooper get into the legion.

I just dont see why a properly put together FX bucket with the proper aerators and lenses and the proper number of teeth in the frown should be excluded from Elite Status. Unless I am glaringly missing something...if I am please relay me the information so I can understand.

Just my 2 cents. :salute: