Cast from Original (CfO) - ROTJ Death Star stormtrooper build - Going for the hattrick! [*CFO]

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that if you have too much of a curve towards the inner half of the lens (pointing to nose) that causes the distortion. Try and keep most of the bubble towards the outer half of the lens and keep the inner half with hardly any. They may not look as good as the original bubble lens, but at least you can see through them pretty good.

I found that if you have too much of a curve towards the inner half of the lens (pointing to nose) that causes the distortion. Try and keep most of the bubble towards the outer half of the lens and keep the inner half with hardly any. They may not look as good as the original bubble lens, but at least you can see through them pretty good.

this is a good description of a lens that is slightly flat near your nose. allows for less distortion right in front of the eye.

I have a set in my hero lid and it works pretty well. almost like a rear view mirror on a car.

Just back from the vac formers yesterday and I got an extra couple of bicep pieces and a new faceplate formed for you. I was entirely happy with the pieces I had in stock so got some new pieces formed for you. :) I will get them out to you as soon as I have a spare day to sit in the the courier...... Do I need all the same paper work printed out for your delivery again?

Cheers,

Mark.

Just back from the vac formers yesterday and I got an extra couple of bicep pieces and a new faceplate formed for you. I was entirely happy with the pieces I had in stock so got some new pieces formed for you. :) I will get them out to you as soon as I have a spare day to sit in the the courier...... Do I need all the same paper work printed out for your delivery again?

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks, mate. I'll drop you a line.

Just got back from a trip to the UK and a break from armour building. Whilst I was away some elastic I ordered for the biceps arrived so I turned my attention to those parts today.

Here are my reference photos and observations.

The biceps are clearly fitted with elastic in a similar way to the ANH suits. The striking differences are the positioning (it’s much higher up) and the width (it’s much thinner).

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m31s225.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m13s138.jpg

Looking at the screen caps I roughly estimated that the elastic is placed approximately a quarter of the way up the bicep. My biceps measure roughly 24cm so I went for 6cm from the bottom.

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h17m15s81.jpg

DSCF1440.jpg

The elastic in the first screen cap looks thinner than in the second. It could almost be elastic cord. The elastic in the second screen cap is more of a flat tape.

In the end, I went for 10mm black bra elastic. It looks reasonably close to the setup in the second screen cap.

DSCF1435.jpg

DSCF1436.jpg

Just glued in with dual-component Araldite.

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1441.jpg

Interesting side question about the lenses in the second screen cap. They look flat to me. What do you lot think?

Edited by Rick330

I’ve also been looking at whether there is possibly a biceps-to-forearm connection like on ANH suits. There are not a lot of shots which clearly show that area but I scrutinised all the screen caps from ROTJ and the one thing that strikes me is that the biceps generally seem to keep in position in relation to the forearms, i.e. they don’t twist much. That leads me to believe that there is a connection between both parts.

I also increased the contrast on this screen cap to see if I could reveal anything. The narrow area on the inside of the arm is clearly rippled. It could just be the undersuit but it is a narrow strip leading between the two parts.

Not conclusive by any means but enough for me to think that there may be a strip of elastic. I think I’m going to add this to my suit.

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h17m15s81.jpg

Edited by Rick330

Shoulder strapping looks good! Nice eye for detail, impressive. And yes, those dudes' lenses look flat indeed. Not the first time I heard of flat lenses for ROTJ, but that is the best pic I've seen yet. Details were all over the place for ROTJ, huh...? ;)

Edited by ObiHahn

I'm guessing that the really thin elastic across the shoulder bell could be twisted, resulting in a thinner look. After all, he is falling, so it might have turned while moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in business today ...

I had the help of this feller ...

DSCF1633.jpg

And, with Dennis having already put together a CfO helmet, it was a great help having him to lend a hand.

I have to say though that the CfO helmet is a dream to put together. It's definitely the crowning glory of the armour kit. To say the armour is "nothing special" would be wrong because it's great but the helmet is the real highlight of the package. It has a really short and still clear history, has been cast directly and capably from an original helmet and it tells. Really easy to put together and looks great.

Here are some progress pictures ...

DSCF1632.jpg

DSCF1637.jpg

DSCF1639.jpg

DSCF1640.jpg

DSCF1641.jpg

DSCF1642.jpg

DSCF1636.jpg

DSCF1635.jpg

We got the ears on in the end too. Just got to spray the mic tips and paint the helmet details and wait for the decal supplier to get his act together. Dennis took a few more pictures of the helmet as we left it today,for now I've jut got this one of the silly sod modelling it ... :laugh1:

DSCF1647.jpg

It's a stunning helmet, I was really happy with the results. A very satisfying day's work!

Edited by Rick330

Very nice. I really cant wait to get working on mine. I have the box sitting here next to me just staring at me. I just finished my ESB and now I've got an ANH bucket and some other things to work on so not yet.

Rounded frown it is then! :)

@Blörre-Bolzer: Yup, when I get all intellectual and do some helmet building, I wear my nerdy glasses.

Also, calling Conny a "slug-like creature" is not very nice, Mr. Lindsay. I am sure she enjoyed being chained to me as much as I did being chained to her. :P

But can we PLEASE leave this dark basement now and/or get some food&water...? I get cold in this metal bikini, paradise island or not...

Silly @rse! :laugh1:

Yeah, I looked at all my indoor trooper screen caps and decided the round frowns were prominent.

Edited by Rick330