Cast from Original (CfO) - ROTJ Death Star stormtrooper build - Going for the hattrick! [*CFO]

I swear I've seen quite a lot square frowns in the movie? Just rambling on from memory here, but I'm sure I saw the respective screencaps not too long ago...

Will check again.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rounded frown it is then! :)

Ā 

@Blƶrre-Bolzer: Yup, when I get all intellectual and do some helmet building, I wear my nerdy glasses.

Ā 

Also, calling Conny a "slug-like creature" is not very nice, Mr. Lindsay. I am sure she enjoyed being chained to me as much as I did being chained to her. :P

Ā 

But can we PLEASE leave this dark basement now and/or get some food&water...? I get cold in this metal bikini, paradise island or not...

Hahahaha....ja ne is klar :lol:

Mr. Nerdy Man :P

Hey Rick...this man has not enough water and bread... :laugh1:

The decals are ordered and payed for so I am just waiting on the printing and delivery. They said about 2 weeks and that was a week ago. :duim:

Ā 

I could also do with a new set that will not crease and wrinkle as badly as my TK-4510 ones did on my CFO bucket.

The decals are ordered and payed for so I am just waiting on the printing and delivery. They said about 2 weeks and that was a week ago. :duim:

Ā 

Yay! My ROTJ blaster should be here very soon too so I should be able to get this costume completed and cleared over the next few weeks.

Here's a couple more pics from our CfO helmet building session.

Ā 

Rich wearing another kind of helmet:

Ā 

298804_260489147323583_100000874990305_768887_1661810342_n.jpg

Ā 

The finished lid without paint or decals:

Ā 

313217_260489190656912_100000874990305_768889_925585546_n.jpg

Ā 

Rich insisted on using this unusual colour of internal padding...

Ā 

300041_260489297323568_100000874990305_768895_677338108_n.jpg

Ā 

Here's an inside look on the topic at hand: (Get it? "inside"..."look"...hilarious! ;) )

Ā 

305192_260489323990232_100000874990305_768896_1141813979_n.jpg

Ā 

Wearing it, the pink padding on the inside made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Ā 

311060_260489360656895_100000874990305_768897_2105175486_n.jpg

Ā 

Let's do that again some time soon, mate! Funny weekend.

I reckon you could trim the teeth out a bit more. The ROTJ teeth didn't have any return and are quite large and open.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

EDIT: actually looking at yours with the frown painted , I wouldn't worry about it!

Edited by sskunky

I reckon you could trim the teeth out a bit more. The ROTJ teeth didn't have any return and are quite large and open.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

EDIT: actually looking at yours with the frown painted , I wouldn't worry about it!

Ā 

I tried to copy Joe's original helmet as close as possible. I probably ended up being extra careful and cuttign less though.

I thought this picture of the ear moulds might help to show how thin the original ones were trimmed.

Ā 

491.jpg

Ā 

Awesome work Rich, keep the pictures coming!

Ā 

JoeR

Ā 

Wow! Superb reference photo.

I think we left the ears a bit thicker at the back. We pretty much used the photos of your original helmet as a guide but had to use screen caps of other helmets for the back becasue I only had front view shots! :laugh1:

Very happy with the fit of the ears in the end though. They sit really happily in place. A little bit of gap here and there but all "screen accurate" kind of levels.

A quick suit-up today with the full armour.

Ā 

Observations:

1. Thereā€™s really no way I can troop with bubble lenses. Going to have to go for flat ones if I take this armour out to events.

2. The legs fit me like a glove. I can walk incredibly freely.

3. The shoulder straps are a pain in the bum. Need to glue them at the front. Velcro at the back and front is not secure enough.

4. I need to add some internal strapping inside the torso towards the bottom. The top sits really nicely but the bottom flaps about a bit. Nothing a couple more connections up and down the torso wonā€™t solve.

5. The biceps and forearms need to be reshaped with a gentle bit of heating. The curve is too pronounced in the wrong direction and the biceps twist towards the front as a result. A bit of hot water and gentle squeezing I think ...

6. Might look at my belt assembly. Could do with the plastic belt material being a bit snugger on the material part.

7. Need to secure the foam inside the helmet and need a chin strap. Bit of tilting going on at the moment.

Ā 

In general, just a few tweaks away from a very nice and surprisingly comfortable suit. Quite pleased with it so far.

Ā 

biceptwist.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1672.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1673.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1674.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

DSCF1676.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1677.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1678.jpg

Edited by Rick330

Looking good! So now the bubble lenses are bad again? Duuuude, make up your mind! :D

Ā 

They look great but I can't see a thing through them. :D A quick swap for events might be the remedy. Either that or in the end I do an Endor weathering job and a full-on replica of this trooper ...

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m13s138.jpg

The deed is done. It's not a massively noticeable change but this will eventually mean I have to get the wood stain out and make my suit a replica of our friend with the flat lenses. Can't see any clean Death Star troopers with flat lenses. :rolleyes:

Ā 

DSCF1752.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1753.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1754.jpg

Ā 

Been doing a bit more work on the armour ...

Ā 

-Added some more strapping to the torso to keep it tight at the sides

-Glued the shoulder straps at the front

- Am currently trying to get the right curve into the biceps and forearms ....

Edited by Rick330

Can you make the lenses interchangeable? So you can keep him clean, with bubble for display and flat for trooping?

Ā 

I suppose I could do. At the moment I'm using hot glue which is only semi-permanent as it is. But I did consider a solution with velcro or something similar.

Without completely resculpting the armour there was nothing could do about the curvature I'm afraid. I have thought about it but then it takes away the whole lineage thing.

Ā 

I noticed that the parts were perfectly formed, i.e. it was not a fault. Just found the biceps a weird shape in the end. I'll get it how I like it with a bit of heat I think. And otherwise it's as if the armour was tailored for me! :D

I couldn't believe how freely I coudl walk around. The missus said "You're quiet. You're hardly making any clickng noises!" :laugh1: