Clearance = fail

Just got word back from the UK garisson regarding my armour. I failed my clearance. :(

It's got some issues that need fixing.

Apparently the FOREARMS and BACK need to be sorted. They're too big.

Now the back isn't too much of an issue. I think if I just heat up the shoulders and have it sit closer to my body, it'll be alright. Maybe add some elastic that connects the back to the front might pull it in a bit.

Forearms are the problem. I've glued the forearms closed with a covering strip on the inside and outside.

I used E-6000. So can I somehow prise them apart or take the strips off so I can make them tighter on my arms?

Can't afford to buy new forearms, so I'll have to mod the ones I have.

I've included some pics that might help illustrate the problem and you guys' be able to offer some pro tips.

23UDbdB.jpg

rHvsByf.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Hi Ricky. Sorry to hear about the fail. I'm no expert at all but I am in the process of strapping myself. Could you not just get the back to sit tighter to you by making the webbing shoulder straps shorter?

Good luck mate.

Hi Ricky. Sorry to hear about the fail. I'm no expert at all but I am in the process of strapping myself. Could you not just get the back to sit tighter to you by making the webbing shoulder straps shorter?

Good luck mate.

Yeah that's what I'll try to do. Heat up the shoulder bits on the back and then have the whole thing sit tighter to my back. I could feel that it was a bit loose, but didn't know for sure if it was so bad that it'd be a fail. It's an easier fix than the forearms - those are the things I'm most concerned about. Really not sure how to pull off the strips without damaging the forearms or cracking them or something. I can't just cut off the strips either, I really do need to get the strips off, cut more off the top portion of the forearms and make sure they're tighter, but not so tight I can't get my hands in.

Sorry about your UKG clearance. The good news is since you used E6000, you can carefully pull apart the forearms, make the fixes, and reglue them. That's part of the reason why E6000 is so highly recommended over plastic weld, CA glue, ABS cement, etc.

I just redid my own forearms to tighten them up and give them a more tapered look, so I know for a fact it can be done. I slipped an Exacto knife in the seam and worked it open by carefully slicing through the glue. Worked for both the exterior and interior cover strips. Once they are off, you can use your thumb or some Goo Gone (citrus-based solvent) to clean up the residue.

Sorry about your UKG clearance. The good news is since you used E6000, you can carefully pull apart the forearms, make the fixes, and reglue them. That's part of the reason why E6000 is so highly recommended over plastic weld, CA glue, ABS cement, etc.

I just redid my own forearms to tighten them up and give them a more tapered look, so I know for a fact it can be done. I slipped an Exacto knife in the seam and worked it open by carefully slicing through the glue. Worked for both the exterior and interior cover strips. Once they are off, you can use your thumb or some Goo Gone (citrus-based solvent) to clean up the residue.

Agreed 100%

Posted much the same thing on your UKG thread mate. B)

At first i didnt see what they were talking about with your forearms from the side shot, but i was able to see it with the front shot. TKrestonva is correct, since you used e-6000 you should be able to slice right through the glue with a hobby knife or box cutter/snap blade knife. Be sure to wear gloves when doing this..i got a NASTY cut once from doing something similar..live n learn lol. Anywho, what i did with mine was trim the inner and outer forearm on the inner seam (which is if you put your fists up to box, they would be facing you) I pretty much removed the entire area where you would attach the strip to. so it wont have that curve up to the sealing strip, but will look nice and even. You would just be using the strip to cover the seam and be butting together the edges. If you need to take off more, then evenly trimming both sides of the inner arms would need to be done as well. But i think you could get away wtih just trimming a little off that inside seam area on both pieces. Do that, tape it up put em on, and post new pics so we can see how that looks. :)

For the back..i wouldnt heat up anything yet. Since your so thin (ugh i wish i was almost that thin lol :rolleyes:) ....First id shorten the straps between the chest and back plates. If you shorten them to the point that the chest and back are touching and its still not enough, you can trim a little off the tops of the back/chest the same amount on each piece. that should bring it all closer to your body. THEN if you need some minor tweaking you can take a little heat to it to fit it to you even better.

dang, you UK guys are tough!...... i like it! LOL!

Edited by Darth Voorhees

ARGH! Disaster! Whilst cutting through the glue to seperate the forearm my armour litteraly tore!

For F sake! :angry:

--------------

Not the best photo, but the best I can do.

Might have to buy new forearms....ugh.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I found that if you heat the knife a bit when cutting through the E6000 if works much better...and I have to ask what is the make of the armour, that might make difference as to how easily it separates once glued...

I found that if you heat the knife a bit when cutting through the E6000 if works much better...and I have to ask what is the make of the armour, that might make difference as to how easily it separates once glued...

The armour is from chimera bespoke. Yeah I know..ergh.

I have seperated the forearm pieces now, but I got the bloody tear. I'll probably just glue the inside, stick on some duck tape and hope that the imperfection isn't too noticeable from the outside.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that! No one form your Garrison could hellp you get it sorted? We work with the newbies here to build their stuff and get them right on. That looks like an ABS set, not painted? You could still maybe get away with some bondo and paint on the tear. I use white appliance epoxy paint, and it matches the ABS plastic quite well.

Yea what Julie said. Id glue it with CA glue and put a piece of old t-shirt soaked in CA glue on the back. then fil the crack and paint that one part with the paint Julie said. That should sort that out ...at least until you can replace the part.

OR

You can do the CA glue thing and fill the crack with ABS paste made from shaving from your armor. (mix them with a little acetone to make the paste) sand it down with 300 then 600 then 1000 grait sandpaper and polish. that will be very close to the original finish, and again should get you through till you replace the part if you decide to do that.

Edited by Darth Voorhees

If you're trying to separate an E-6000 bond.

- heat the area gently with a heat gun or hair dryer, this will soften the glue / bond

- I run a 3/4" flat chisel between the 2 parts

- pry the cover strip off

- repeat inside with inner shim or overlap, etc.

- remove all the of the remaining E-6000 before doing a light sanding / trim / re-glue

I don't know what plastic that armor is, but if it's styrene or ABS, you can easily repair it. I would personally use a small plastic shim underneath, join the split with plastic weld from the inside, then glue the shim in place.

Good luck!

I've been over to Rickys house (troopervenger) to help him out, yes.

He lives not too far from me but I've been flat out of late.

I have a spare set of arms. 2 actually :)

Maybe even 3 lol

Yup and very greatful I was too.

The arms are glued and setting at the moment. I've taken a look at the damaged on and the tear isn't that noticeable. Unless you get really close up you'd not see it.

It's not as bad as I first thought. If I can, I'll post a pic later today or tomorrow.

Im just modding my TM arms

Luckily one side is butt plated, the other isn't

Both sides of TM arms are designed to be butted together - no overlapping.

The front joints of the forearms are flat and should be butt jointed, where the back joints don't have a flat edge and you can tailor them to fit your arm, same as the original ANH armour ;)

Both sides of TM arms are designed to be butted together - no overlapping.

The front joints of the forearms are flat and should be butt jointed, where the back joints don't have a flat edge and you can tailor them to fit your arm, same as the original ANH armour ;)

And it's really easy! I modded my arms slimmer by opening them up and cutting off an inch or so. Maybe was one hours work to fix both arms.