Helmet ridge

he pre stretches the plastic into a vertical bubble almost as high as the mould buck.

then again, after it's cooled he uses the formech manual machine to again blow air into it to release it from the buck.

I finally found the gif animation I did from his video to show this:

backcap.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...I may have a solution for you. Did you get taken care of?

Nope...I emailed asking how long it would take to get a new one with less of a line/ridge, but haven't heard back. He might be on vaca or something. What's your idea?

he pre stretches the plastic into a vertical bubble almost as high as the mould buck.

then again, after it's cooled he uses the formech manual machine to again blow air into it to release it from the buck.

I finally found the gif animation I did from his video to show this:

backcap.gif

Ok I see what you mean,

If you look carefully thats a bad pull he did right there, you can actually see a webbing forming on the forehead which runs from bottom to top front, the plastic was too soft or had too much sag creating webbings (wrinkles)

Mark

TrooperTim came over today to help me, and got the ridge completely sanded down. It can't be felt at all now, although the discoloration is still present. He also tried polishing out the sanding marks, but they wouldn't polish out. So we're going to prime and paint it, once I find out which color of white will work best on it.

Starting to feel like this is all going to be ok! B)

I'll post the pics, if anyone can't tell where the line is, let me know and I'll add arrows. It looks a LOT better, and feels smooth.

lid1.jpg

lid2.jpg

Thank you, TrooperTim. :D

Edited by Sarathe

It's closer. I sanded this thing for 3 hours with 120 - 1,000 - 2,000 then applied novus scratch remover and spray on turtle wax. Those tiny sandpaper scratches are tough to get out. I think a higher grit sandpaper and wet sanding will most likely fix that issue. More sanding is in order and maybe also a buffer. You also need to decide on Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy or Rustoleum high performance enamel paint. I don't know for sure, but I assume either one would match T/MC armor fairly well.

It's closer. I sanded this thing for 3 hours with 120 - 1,000 - 2,000 then applied novus scratch remover and spray on turtle wax. Those tiny sandpaper scratches are tough to get out. I think a higher grit sandpaper and wet sanding will most likely fix that issue. More sanding is in order and maybe also a buffer. You also need to decide on Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy or Rustoleum high performance enamel paint. I don't know for sure, but I assume either one would match T/MC armor fairly well.

Tim, FWIW... I used Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel (Gloss White) on my helmet. That stuff is rock hard once it cures. Should be a great match!

Sarah, I know you've put a lot of time and have had help from Tim putting time into your helmet but I have been working on getting new plastic done for you and hoped you would wait before you starting sanding and having to paint your helmet. After a lot of testing We have gotten the best pulls ever on the helmets. He assures me there is little to no lines anywhere on the dome. New plastic parts will be coming to you and hopefully you will be able to use the new helmet parts instead. I am sorry it has taken so long to get back with you on this. Maybe you can use one of the helmets as a display helmet.

I'm sorry the helmet you received wasn't in better shape. I hope with the new parts you get you would reconsider recommending our full kits, helmet included. After yours and Michael's bad pulls we went back to the drawing board on how to best pull the helmets. We think we've done a great job and have something better to offer now. They should be going out to you this week. Please let me know when you get them.

Edited by Tray

Oh wow, Tray, that is awesome! I'm speechless....which never happens, haha. :lol:

Thanks so much. Can't wait to see it! One thing I know I will recommend you guys for is your excellent customer service.

• 4 weeks later...