Carbon Fibre TK

I think that would be a very cool project and idea IF it was made with real carbon fiber. I realize the cost on something like that and the logistics involved would be insane lol. Just being a big car guy and modder, I don't like any of the "carbon fiber look" material out there. But that's just my opinion, I am sure most would love it.

Ive just spent 12 months working on carbon panels for Aston Martin DBS, Rolls Royce and Porsche GT3 RS cars.

For a front fender for an Aston comprising a carbon inner and outer skin with glass fiber central layer you were looking at approx £1200.

There is no way you could use a Vacuum forming process on it, you would need the likes of a Nickel mold of the outer surface to get a good surface/display finish. This mold would need to be heated to high, controlled temps for several hours.

Complicated structures such as the face plate would need to be made from several seperate pieces of cloth at the laying up stage and where these pieces meet you would often get distortions requiring dressing out, therefore removing the high finish.

Don't get me wrong, it "could" be done but to do it right with proper carbon and not the cheap imitation muck would cost major dinero.

http://www.gurit.com/moulding.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

This is so cool! Do you have the cap and back that matches the faceplate? it would be so cool to see this finished! biggrin.gif

No Juan, I was testing out my vacformer and proving to myself just how easy it is to make a recast faceplate, the plastic is an offcut from a local vacforming shop.

I don't want to get involved in the Stormtrooper nonsense cast/recast/modified/fan sculpt/approved/bought"rights"/etc etc, all I can say is that the actual vacforming is very very easy to do, I suppose this is why there are so many different helmets to buy.

• 4 months later...

No Juan, I was testing out my vacformer and proving to myself just how easy it is to make a recast faceplate, the plastic is an offcut from a local vacforming shop.

I don't want to get involved in the Stormtrooper nonsense cast/recast/modified/fan sculpt/approved/bought"rights"/etc etc, all I can say is that the actual vacforming is very very easy to do, I suppose this is why there are so many different helmets to buy.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Vac forming is not an easy thing to do. Not consistently and it varies with what materials you use. Pulling the odd piece, yes is easy but to pull a complete suit and get it right with no mistakes takes time and practice. Half the problem is in the mould design. simply recasting someones elses pull and forming that would be fairly easy as half the hard work has been done for you.

• 1 year later...

Would a full carbon fiber TX suit meet the Shadow Trooper Standards? i have the capabilities on making these since i am working with the Virgin Atlantic Space program and they use outragous amounts of Carbon and said i can use the facilities for whatever..so i was curious if i take this endevor on would it be a waste of time since i would be making several suits out of this material?

Would a full carbon fiber TX suit meet the Shadow Trooper Standards? i have the capabilities on making these since i am working with the Virgin Atlantic Space program and they use outragous amounts of Carbon and said i can use the facilities for whatever..so i was curious if i take this endevor on would it be a waste of time since i would be making several suits out of this material?

I highly doubt it would get 501st approval, but you can do it anyways.

I would be curious as to what moulds you would be using to make full suits of armour?

It would be pretty cool to see a carbon fiber sui.

The molds i am making myself so i will have them on hand for future projects, just finished sculpting a few of the parts and going thru the final stages...so when it comes down to the casting i will be baby stepping it and taking lots of pics for all to see my progress...