New Costume Award Programs for MEPD/FISD in 2011

Daetrin

WHAT HAPPENED?

Both MEPD and FISD have had above-and-beyond programs for a quite time and SpecOps is in the process of establishing theirs. In all cases, the intent of these programs is to be viewed as an optional set of requirements for those who wish to take the accuracy of their costumes to the next level, and be recognized accordingly.

The requirements do not replace or

supersede 501st standards, and instead serve as an inspiration for the next level of accuracy that can be achieved. The standards are meant to be high but achievable, rather than focusing on the pinnacle of screen accuracy.

While these programs have been successful (2 out of 3 Legion sandtroopers are MEPD Police Officers, over 150 FISD Expert Infantryman), we recognize that as the state of the art for stormtrooper-based costuming has evolved and more information is available on how the original props were made, there is a group of costumers who want a higher bar to reach for.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!

Rather than increasing the current program standards to a level only a few can achieve or else not providing any guidance for those with the accuracy bug, MEPD and FISD have decided to work in concert to help promote the highest standards of costuming. Given how much the base costumes have in common, keeping the detachment-specific programs in harmony will help reduce confusion among Legion members.

Consider the 501st standards being the "must haves" and the original detachment programs as the first step of "should haves". In the new programs the "should haves" become "must haves", and closer attention is paid to every visible detail.

NOTE: While there are those who aspire to it, these new designations are not meant to be a leap into "prop forgery". There will be no concern for what sort of strapping system is used, what connectors are made of, or what sort of plastic helmets and armor are pulled from. The focus will instead rest on the outward appearance of the costume, e.g. are there rivets on the sides where they should be and so on. "Prop forgery" has its place and may one day have its own recognition programs, but these are not it.

The MEPD's new designation will be "S.W.A.T."; in keeping with the "police force" spin of the detachment. Just as those who are deployed have gone one step beyond the Legion requirements, the "S.W.A.T." designation will be awarded to those members who have gone the extra effort beyond Police Officer status.

S.W.A.T are elite paramilitary tactical units in American law enforcement departments as well as some foreign police departments. They are trained to perform high-risk operations that fall outside of the abilities of regular officers. A SWAT team is often equipped with specialized firearms and equipment."

-- Source: Wikipedia

In keeping with the infantry theme of FISD's "Expert Infantryman" program and also drawing from the word "Legion", FISD will create the Centurion program.

Centurions often suffered heavy casualties in battle, generally fighting alongside the legionaries they commanded. They usually led from the front, occupying a position at the front right of the century formation. They led and inspired their men by example. They also sought to display the skill and courage that may have brought them to their rank in the first place. It is for these reasons that they often suffered a disproportionate number of casualties.

-- Source: Wikipedia

WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE?

The final details and requirements are still being put on each program. MEPD will roll the SWAT program out first (as befits the sandtroopers expeditionary nature) with FISD's Centurion program soon thaereafter. We highly recommend you visit your favorite detachment to keep up to date, as these programs will evolve throughout the spring.

MEPD: http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showforum=44

FISD: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showforum=66

SOUNDS COOL!

It is! Clearly these programs will not appeal to every trooper in the Legion, but even if it's not your kind of blaster it's all meant to be fun in the end. Those that choose to push the accuracy bounds actually to everyone a service by inspiring others of what is possible.

With unquestioned loyalty,

TK-8020 "Daetrin" (FISD Detachment Leader)

Fighting Dirty,

TD-8541 "Bluey" (MEPD Detachment Leader)

What do we get when we become Centurion , a certificate ?

It would be nice to get a red broom like this to add on top of our helmets:

Please let me know so i can start drilling holes in my helmet .

imagesCAFJ5O79.jpg

Edited by Quebectrooper

What do we get when we become Centurion , a certificate ?

It would be nice to get a red broom like this to add on top of our helmets:

Please let me know so i can start drilling holes in my helmet .

imagesCAFJ5O79.jpg

:rolleyes::lol:B)

Joking aside, a red rocker patch like the EIB could look good.

Edited by carbonitekid

Will less accurate armors will be accepted for this Centurion rank? AM armors for example, after being approved for EI?

While I have no say so in deciding the what's and how's in the qualification criteria, I would expect them to emphasize what has been done to strive for a great build rather than what make the armor is. If e.g. Pandatrooper's AM-build doesn't qualify, I would consider the new Award Program to be a bit too narrow.

I think that ADDING centurion to the EIB program is excellent!

I would not want to have to throw away my EIB patches.

this layout would look very nice:

th_Centurion-Tab-Special-Forces-Style-03b-gold-border-yellow-text.png

Patience, gentlemen. The new requirements are being developed and will be unveiled once ready - hopefully sooner than later. :)

@Pat - funny stuff!!