The Body - One Piece or Two?

I am sure I am beating a dead horse here (or punching an ewok... same thing) so for all you veterans, grab your popcorn and let the broken record play.

As I wait for my big brown box of AP armor to be delivered I have been scouring the boards to get the definitive way to assemble my armor which for TK armor is almost impossible with the many varients. For the most part I keep running across 2 different ways to put it togehter. One being the 2 piece body which consists of the "Stormtrooper T-shirt" and the lower body using suspenders and the second that has the body in one piece with the chest and abs connected and you slide into the side.

So here is my conundrum, which way do I build mine. This is what I have gathered and feel free to correct me and put me in my place as a newbie. The one piece body is the way to go if you are going for EIB and screen accuracy and this seems to be the way to go if you want closed in sides, but the 2 piece looks easier to troop in because it is flexibe because you can bend over easier. But I tend to see a lot of that black strap overlapping the armor on the side this way.

I will be aiming for EIB and am leaning towards the one piece body, but I know being shorter than the average stormtrooper I will have to take some liberties in trimming the armor (which is another post all together, any links?). So any expert advice from my fellow experienced troopers would be great to put me on the right track.

I don't really understand what you're talking about. Pretty much all armour is the same in what I think you're talking about. Maybe this photo will help.

0sUHzvs.jpg

On 2/11/2011 at 9:47 PM, Locitus said:

I don't really understand what you're talking about. Pretty much all armour is the same in what I think you're talking about. Maybe this photo will help.

0sUHzvs.jpg

The other method can be seen here in this pic from one of our troops (that's me in the foreground wearing the wampa legs). I have seen the suspender method in other build threads and on youtube of people suiting up. Like I said I will probably strap it the traditional way. I was just curious on peoples opinions either way.

dAfIngx.jpg

Well whichever method you chose would not hinder your ability to go for EIB. As it's how it looks from the outside that matters. But if you really want to go for screen accuracy then you need something like this;

hJemX5G.jpg

i agree. though i dont have EIB yet. i dont think it'll matter if you have suspenders or "one piece suit". there's many ways to keep the chest plate from flopping around. sometimes you just wont know what style you want until you try one and see if it works for you or not. i've changed up a few things on my suit on many occasions. as many others have im certain.

screen accuracy is always great, but if you're trying to figure out a method... really there's just two, screen accuracy or figuring out what fits you best...

just my two cents. ionno if it helps any :P but best wishes on figuring out what you want. :D

Edited by Eric

it is great you are going for EIB out of the box. that is the way to go :duim: be sure to study the build threads and EI threads as well.. once you decide on the variant you wish to build focus on that particular CRL and EI requirements..

you can search for AP armor builds and EI threads using the quick search tags HERE

and the crls and ei requierments are HERE

and the type of strapping is really up to you as long as it holds the armor on correctly (no parts falling off) you will be fine..

Do what Mason said here. Study the build threads and focus on the requirements for your particular TK variant.

When you are talking about the two piece body construction:

The AB, kidney plate and butt plate are held together and are worn with a suspender style strap.

The chest and back piece are put together like a shirt and worn that way.

When it comes to this style of build typically a piece of elastic strapping is on both the left and right sides connecting the bottom corner of the chest and back plate. This elastic usually ends up overlapping the kidney plate and is very noticeable. That piece of elastic strapping may hamper you from getting you EIB.

If you want to go the two piece route like you are talking about, if you can hide the strapping so it is not overlapping the sides of kidney plate, I think you will be OK.

rEuS0bY.jpg

As for trimming your armor, the AP actually is built for an average size guy. So, you possibly won't have to do as much trimming as you may expect. Here is pic from ABS80/Mike Harrison, showing a guy 5' 7" wearing the armor without any modifications or major trims other than trimming to the normal edge.

i4KjBi7.jpgHatucxe.jpgYPULEzM.jpg

But, if you do need to trim your armor and want to put back the return edge to give the 3-D effect, here is a link that will help you out in doing that: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12972

Also, with the AP kits, you are going need to upgrade the Hovi's, the neck trim (which you can get from Mike/TK4510) here is the link: http://members.cox.net/appstronaut/tk4510_decals.html

But, if you have questions about anything, just post. We are here for you. :)

Tom

You can solve this by simply moving the strap higher so it doesn't overlap the white sides.

In the end the internal strapping choice has no bearing on EI. Just needs to look good from the outside :)

or you could use white elastic, it'll still show, but blend in with the armor better. that's actually what i'm going to do to my armor soon enough. once i get some spare time. lol

On 2/12/2011 at 2:54 AM, RogueTrooper said:

I'd say that after looking at your photo, you'd probably like the Armor T shirt method with suspenders.

that helps to keep everything lined up, and tight for your body shape.

putting the side gap straps on the chest/back up higher like paul said is exactly what you should do!

I am being a realist with my height and figured I might as well go with hero since I can guarantee the too short comments. I figured. I should embrace it and go the extra step, I read about the "Luke cut" with the chest and back and will probably go the grappling hook route too. After spending 7 months on the wampa build last year, the TK is a welcome change of pace.

I have my handler while in the wampa building her own AP at the same time so I really look forward to getting work. The TKboots are being delivered tonight and I am already underway making snap squares. I will keep researching until then. Thanks for all the info!

Haha, height also influenced my decision to go hero. I'm only 5'2", though, so yeah...

I'm hoping to achieve 5'5"-6" with some techniques I've read about here, though.

I have a few more concerns about the chest plate, though. Unfortunately, there's not really anyone I can ask about that.

Haha, height also influenced my decision to go hero. I'm only 5'2", though, so yeah...

I'm hoping to achieve 5'5"-6" with some techniques I've read about here, though.

I have a few more concerns about the chest plate, though. Unfortunately, there's not really anyone I can ask about that.

Try us. :) what do you want to do with the chest?

awesome to see that you're deciding to go the grappling hook/commlink rout :) my personal fave

Now only if I could hunt down an actual hook, those seem to be hard to find the for sale threads are all over a year old on here. I might have to settle for the thermal detonator until then.

Now only if I could hunt down an actual hook, those seem to be hard to find the for sale threads are all over a year old on here. I might have to settle for the thermal detonator until then.

that's true, i got my hook a fair while back, and it was a little pricey. but try theRPF.... i havent seen any recent threads on there. but you could try asking around. you never know. the boxes are easy to get ahold of.

VacTrooper is the guy to ask about the boxes on these threads.

Russrep is the guy to ask about the grappling hook itself. he's much easier to find on www.theRPF.com but i think he does periodically visit these boards...

and if you're in need of a commlink.... i hear there's a guy on here that has recently started an interest thread on them. ;) haha. not 100% screen accurate, but their close. :P

best wishes to ya

If you're alluding to a potential bust size problem, the question has been asked and answered a few times. I'll try to find a couple of links, but in the meantime it would be better to start a new thread asking about it - we don't want to hijack this thread. :)

Concerning the chest/back strap overlapping the kidney, aside from moving the strap itself up, as Daetrin mentioned, it also depends on how you are "wearing" your armor. If you have the ab/kidney hiked up high you will have this problem. There is no need to pull it up quite that high. what i did with my kit was make sure there is a bout 2inches above the "button box" on the ab plate showing before the Chest plate bottom edge. you can trim the neckline up yo an inch to raise the chestplate if needed. I just balanced it out so the ab/kidney plate isnt ALL the way up, and trimmed a little off the neckline(and shoulder part of course) to raise it a bit and that worked out much like the photo posted earlier from ABS80.

As for the 5'2" female chest plate issue.....:)ill look for your other thread....

Edited by Darth Voorhees

It is a concern to my friend that is building too. You're not alone!

Oh, you know another woman building? That is awesome!

As for the 5'2" female chest plate issue.....:)ill look for your other thread....

Heh, too mortally embarrassed to do that now...maybe after a few glasses of wine :lol:

Sounds like it truly is an issue that needs to be addressed, though.

that's true, i got my hook a fair while back, and it was a little pricey. but try theRPF.... i havent seen any recent threads on there. but you could try asking around. you never know. the boxes are easy to get ahold of.

VacTrooper is the guy to ask about the boxes on these threads.

Russrep is the guy to ask about the grappling hook itself. he's much easier to find on www.theRPF.com but i think he does periodically visit these boards...

and if you're in need of a commlink.... i hear there's a guy on here that has recently started an interest thread on them. ;) haha. not 100% screen accurate, but their close. :P

best wishes to ya

Russrep has 2 left, and I had to snag one up. I have been in talks with VacTrooper too, I saw the interest thread for the comlink, and noticed Doopydoo's makes resin ones too which is alright but needs work, though it is tempting to build my own.

building your own is fun, but it can be tough. lol. there's a few build threads out there. if you have issues finding them, let me know. i'll send you some links. but... FYI... if you want a total screen accurate one and want to try building one with the ole engine cylinder halves for the black section of it... they no longer make those. and you'll have to search for an antique model set. odds of being able to build one like that are slim, and you'd have to ruin an antique blink.gif but i'm not saying it's impossible.

So I have settled on the one piece using snaps. So I got to ask the experts, where is the best place to buy snaps that are the right strength.

I have looked at craft stores but they are limited to about 8 snaps per pack. I have seen them by the gross on eBay for about half the price. They say heavy duty but we all know eBay can be iffy.

Any tips will be welcome