ROTJ why?

Mate, I agree to the ?, but I finally cracked :o

Most of us are also collectors, and lets face it, if you have more than 1 helmet to a suit, it is collecting.

I really did not like the ROTJ as I was born 72 and my fav is the original ANH, however, I have 5 vader lids and 7 ST lids.

I recently bought this one and all range from different films

---------

Sometimes as a collector, aswell as trooping it is nice when someone asks, why is that helmet different? very lengthy and sad conversations follow ;)

I am now only missing a Hero, I had a Fallano years ago but sold it, will be from TM next time as I rate him very highly and own a full suit, not yet made though as it is very precious :D

The point is when you study something so much, you end up wanting to compare and that is one of the interests of the hobby, its not just being a a guy dressed as a Stormtrooper

Hope that says something why

regards

gra

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 1/22/2011 at 1:34 PM, zsavk said:

----------

Mmmmmmmmm, 2 ROTJ lids forms, one made to look ANH, not the best comparison but point made.

There are better ANH lids that look much different

A lot is in the eyes.

left to Right and all (aimed to be ANH)

AP, SDS,TM,T Bits, MFX.

------------

Very different from my recent ROTJ purchase as seen above

regards

Edited by gmrhodes13

Like everyone else who starts out, I didn't see much difference in the Stormtrooper helmets, but now many things are so obvious. There is definitely mainly a preference for ANH style but as I have looked more and more at the ROTJ helmet I have started liking it a bit more. Like fashion, our tastes can change :)

I dont understand the love of clones either

ROTJ are a bit different but I wouldn't say ugly...?

I'm currently making one of JoeRs lids and love it

Learning lots

The ears are all different, eyes are all different, frown paint different

I've increased my exposure and knowledge to TKs

How can that be a bad thing? :)

I used to be pretty anti-ROTJ too, until I saw TK-J

tail. How can you not like the results? They really opened my eyes.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Isn't he too BIG to be a Stormtrooper... :D

Ya that isn't too bad looking. I guess it also has to do with the way people take a picture of the helmet.

some pics I've seen, the helmet is too close, causing lens distortion.

Thus making the helmet look narrower then it is.

Hmm your a bit off unless I wasnt sold what I thought I bought :) The one on the left is a T/MC ANH helm. Its almost identical to my AP. The one on the right is a signed TE RotJ. They are very different. My camera angle maybe is not the best to show a comparison.

Rob

On 1/22/2011 at 3:00 PM, tk7713gra30 said:

Mmmmmmmmm, 2 ROTJ lids forms, one made to look ANH, not the best comparison but point made.

There are better ANH lids that look much different

A lot is in the eyes.

left to Right and all (aimed to be ANH)

AP, SDS,TM,T Bits, MFX.

Very different from my recent ROTJ purchase as seen above

regards

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 1/26/2011 at 9:14 AM, zsavk said:

Hmm your a bit off unless I wasnt sold what I thought I bought :) The one on the left is a T/MC ANH helm. Its almost identical to my AP. The one on the right is a signed TE RotJ. They are very different. My camera angle maybe is not the best to show a comparison.

Rob

Hi Rob, it could well be the angle, the dome is certainly different.

The eyes on the ANH look very similar cut out wise which is decieving as they are curved in the pic and rounded, like the ROTJ, ANH is generally more open and angled, but again its the angle of the pic.

I don't believe anything Matt says but thats another story, however I can see these similarities straight off.

My apologies for the bad artwork, maybe I should not have said both ROTJ, could it be Matt has remodelled ANH helmet to ROTJ, faceplate I mean.

These are stikingly similar and thats what promted my initial post, looking at it the ANH is wider but the slopes and angles are almost exact, they must have come from the same lineage

The shadows are even the same showing all the curves etc exactly

My point was really that there are some MAJOR differences between the 2 and in some pics it shows up immensly as they are completely different

I am not trying to be picky, but hope you can see what I can

I have also read of Jedi lids being backdated to ANH

Regards

Edited by gmrhodes13

The TE ROTJ helmets were cast from the outside of the original and it was a very ANH looking original helmet, much less wonky than my ROTJ helmets. TE's look more like the background ESB/ROTJ helmets to me.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

That is exactly what I was trying to get at.

The helmets look to have the same lineage (whatever it is) and so the true differences between ANH and ROTJ are lost somewhat

All the best

gra

Edited by tk7713gra30