How to use a Rivet Tool

Okay I have to confess, ive never used one. Seemed pretty straight forward to me. But for some reason, while testing this tool, the nail portion wont come out, only if I cut it off, and I know thats not how its done. I damn near stabbed my hand like heysoos on the cross trying to pull it out with a pair of pliers!

Anyway, here is a pic of the tool, the rivets, and the test piece.

---------

Now there is a little adjuster on the side but doesnt seem to do anything. on the other side there is a place to adjust with a screwdriver, but it seems to not have an affect on any changes I make to it.

So im taking one for the team, for anyone who was ever afraid to admit they cant use what would normally seem to be a pretty basic tool :blink:

Anyway, thanks for any tips and hope this helps the concerned, er I mean the curious :P

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

well this is a "Arrow" rivet tool, it wasnt cheap, like 15 bucs. I wont use it on my armor until i can get it to work properly.

EDIT:

Okay im going to answer my own question here but hope this helps anyone who was unsure how to use this as I was.

THis morning I was sharing my experience with a co-worker who happens to be ex-navy and told me that he had to use a rivet tool a lot so he clued me in:

Once you drill your hole, insert the rivet, you will be left with the remaining nail, simply place the tool into the nail again squeezing the grips a second time releasing (or popping) the nail off.

Ive tried this on a few test pieces and it works fine. being the perfectionist I am ill probably go over the hole with some puddy and paint over it, dunno.

Anyway, hope this helps

I have the exact same tool you have pictured and it's actually not too hard to use once you figure it out. I admit I was just like you when I bought it... it seemed simple enough but even after reading the instructions I was completely clueless having never used one before.

I'm not an expert costume maker but I can try my best to explain it to you, at least how I do it.

I first drill a small hole in the pieces I want to rivet. The hole is just large enough to push the small part of the rivet into (The end with the little "knob" and sheathe - don't know how to really explain it).

Next you put the large (nail) part of the rivet into the tool. There are different size tips on the tool itself and they unscrew so you can change them to match the size of the rivet you are using. Than is kinda important. When you unscrew to change them make sure the handle is pulled together (use the clip on the end to lock it). The tips unscrew to change, not adjust... I think this is what you were referring to when you said you adjusted it.

Once the tool is on the nail part you simply squeeze the handle together slowly. Make sure as you do this you keep pushing the tool forward so it is flush with the small part of the rivet. As you do you will see it gets harder and harder to pull the handle together. Eventually it will snap the nail part off and your rivet is on.

To get the nail part out of the tool simply squeeze the handle back together and point the tip toward the floor. The nail part will fall right out.

You should use washers as well. They would go on the opposite side of the plastic. This is all kinda difficult to explain, I hope it does help. I'm off today and will try to take some pictures on a test peice later and post a better tutorial. Like I said I'm not an expert and I'm also new to this forum, I'm sure there are way better experts here that can explain it better but since I just saw this I thought I'd try and help ya. Good luck.

well this is a "Arrow" rivet tool, it wasnt cheap, like 15 bucs. I wont use it on my armor until i can get it to work properly.

EDIT:

Okay im going to answer my own question here but hope this helps anyone who was unsure how to use this as I was.

THis morning I was sharing my experience with a co-worker who happens to be ex-navy and told me that he had to use a rivet tool a lot so he clued me in:

Once you drill your hole, insert the rivet, you will be left with the remaining nail, simply place the tool into the nail again squeezing the grips a second time releasing (or popping) the nail off.

Ive tried this on a few test pieces and it works fine. being the perfectionist I am ill probably go over the hole with some puddy and paint over it, dunno.

Anyway, hope this helps

Ha, looks like I was writing my reply at the same time you were :lol:

Glad you figured it out, it really is a good way to attach some of the peices you need to attach.

Just remember to use washers on the plastic, it really does make a difference. I forgot to use them on some of my first tries and the rivet just pulled right through. Talk about aggravation... trying to drill the rivet out without doing further damage to the armor, ugh :angry:

WOW, what a major difference in durability!

--------

With the 1/8 3mm washers in the back, it makes a HUGE difference. Highly recommended if your going to go this route :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Eh :blink: I thought you were having problems with the nail sticking inside the rivet tool. So was the problem that the nail wasn't snapping off the rivet or what :blink: If that's the case then the rivet body is too long and you need shorter rivets. You always need washers on the backs to so remember that when you buy the rivets and add that to the final length.

FYI

If you ever need to discuss this with someone due to a problem in the future send me a PM . I was a detail fitter for 16 years so know my way around a fair few tools of this ilk. The " nail " is called the rivet stem by the way.

Hope this helps :)

Hello Felixx

At least with my Rivet Tool, i think that the problem u are having is that u are not usingthe right size rivet tip on your rivet tool, ( theses are the 3 tips that are on the side of your rivet tool) u need to use the same size tip for the rivet stem. Sizes tips on mine are 2.4, 3.2, 4.0, 4.8 and so on. so try to use the same tip with the same stem. after 2-3 practic rivets and notice this it was great, Stem shoots out almost like if it were a ejection chamber.

oh one other thing to, what rivets u use, Down here there are only 2 type Aluminium and Steel ( not steel but thats what its called) if your rivet tool is not a Pro tool i would uses the Aluminium. >The Steel are harder to place even if it is a pro.

Thats my 2 pesos hope it helps, but i would pm Matt 16 yrs is 16 yrs ;)

• 5 months later...

dang I love this forum.

I just logged on to post a question about using rivets and found this thread.

My question was about the big bulb of metal that ends up on the one side of the rivet:

-----------

I'm preparing to rivet a holster to a canvas belt, and I'm wondering if I'm going to end up with this lightbulb-shaped wad of metal on the belt side...? It looks like all this does is expand the darn hole! Or will the washer help control that?

Anyone have shots of their riveted holster/ bandolier???

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Actually, what Steven is talking about are not rivets at all but snaps, not unlike what you would find on a coat. I used heavy-duty snaps to attach my holster to a canvas belt and they work very well. You could also use rivets but that is a more-or-less permanent solution, whereas with snaps you can remove the holster when you want.

Dont use rivets to do that. Use heavy duty snaps. Like these Snaps

Follow this tutorial and you will have an awesome belt.

Ok, I should be receiving my armor next week, which means I'm gonna need snaps and also the device used to put them together. Can anyone tell me were to buy the snap assemly device and what it looks like and how much will it cost me. :blink:

Any fabric store carries them They look like a big pair of pliers. Probably should cost $15-20 I'm guessing. I use a Dritz #24P I bought at Joann Fabrics.

Ok, I should be receiving my armor next week, which means I'm gonna need snaps and also the device used to put them together. Can anyone tell me were to buy the snap assemly device and what it looks like and how much will it cost me. :blink:

That's because it's easy. :)

The pointy end goes into the tool. Find the tip (several come with the tool) that's the right size for the shaft of the rivet. Put the other end through the hole you've drilled for it in the plastic. Put the backing washer over the bit that sticks through on the inside of the armour. Squeeze handle. Release. Slide the tool down flush with the plastic again. Squeeze again. There will be an abrupt PING! as the shaft reaches its tension point and pops off (hence "pop rivets"), so be ready for it and don't jump. Release and let the popped-off shaft of the rivet drop out of the tool into an appropriate waste receptacle.

--Jonah

I had no idea how to use a rivet gun when I started but my friend demonstrated and they're simple enough :) Jonah explained it perfectly. Just be sure to use the right size washer so the rivet holds - that's where I went wrong at first

That's because it's easy. :)

The pointy end goes into the tool. Find the tip (several come with the tool) that's the right size for the shaft of the rivet. Put the other end through the hole you've drilled for it in the plastic. Put the backing washer over the bit that sticks through on the inside of the armour. Squeeze handle. Release. Slide the tool down flush with the plastic again. Squeeze again. There will be an abrupt PING! as the shaft reaches its tension point and pops off (hence "pop rivets"), so be ready for it and don't jump. Release and let the popped-off shaft of the rivet drop out of the tool into an appropriate waste receptacle.

--Jonah

I found out that i not only have a rivet gun, but as you stated its really easy to use. Thanks for the help guys. I think ill be able to go rivvet happy on things about the house very soon.