ESB E-11 real prop article

RogueTrooper

I was doing some research on ESB E-11's and ran across this off of The Prop Store of London, where it talks about an actual ESB E-11 that they had purchased. I noticed that instead of T tracks that this one has half metal tubes down the barrel and it is not like the ROTJ that is a more rounded tube, but this is actually a steel channel which is flat without any curve to it.

Just thought I would share since it's the 30th anniversary of Empire and see what everyone else thinks.

I also though it would be helpful too.

Pic of 90 degree steel channel

0yKDFDi.jpg

eQJYZLt.jpg

Gp6ILfJ.jpg

lElej1O.jpg

From the original article:

George Lucas, taking a well educated gamble, decided to finance his much anticipated Star Wars sequel, with his own money. It is safe to say that the gamble handsomely paid off. The Empire Strikes Back was released in 1980 to huge excitement and enormous box office. It remains many peoples favourite movie of the franchise.

Along with the New Hope Blaster, the Prop Store collection also contains a Storm Trooper blaster from Empire. Although the basic overall look is the same the construction and detail is different. Firstly, this is a real gun that has been de-activated, a Sterling MkV sub machine gun. The majority of the New Hope blasters were cast and were never practical. (there were just a very few live fire guns) Like the ANH blaster this gun has a specially cut down magazine from 32 rounds to approximately 10. Perhaps most notably the Hengstler counter box is missing, changing the profile to a more elegant look. Also missing are the various buttons and add-ons which were put on the original gun to help disguise it. The ESB blaster is a much more robust prop. This gun does show evidence of some of those buttons suggesting this is a recycled live fire gun from the first movie The sight rail has been replaced by a sturdy box and the rubber draw runner “fins” on the original are now metal U shaped sections which have been screwed to the Sterling barrel.

This blaster was purchased directly from the on set armourers Bapty, who were responsible for most of the weapons for the trilogy and remarkably it was still in its exact production condition. The accompanying photo of this exact blaster was taken at the armourers in the early 1980’s as reference for a Japanese magazine.

Poor shots the Storm Troopers may well have been, but without their blasters, the domination of the universe would have ended long before our heroes took them on. An iconic weapon of cinema.

Here is the link to The Props Store of London article: http://www.propstore.com/empirestrikesbackblaster.htm

Here are the pics from their site, sorry I don't why they put the E-11 with a black background and awful day glo blue hightlight around it.

KavQ2Cz.jpg

0CJ5N0c.jpg

Hv6tDdr.jpg

ePM2Ysu.jpg

HTLPz6P.jpg

Uk3GyfN.jpg

The accompanying photo of this exact blaster was taken at the armourers in the early 1980’s as reference for a Japanese magazine.

TM508nS.jpg

Alas, I can't add it to my cart? Interesting find and this is the first anyone's brought up the different implementation of the t-rack, at least on this forum.

Great find!

Yeah I was blown away when I saw it :o:blink:

I have sent an email to them asking for more info about it. When I do get their reply, I with add it too.

Yeah I was blown away when I saw it :o:blink:

I have sent an email to them asking for more info about it. When I do get their reply, I with add it too.

That is the kind of U-track I put on my ROTJ as I couldn't find rounded.

You can get that style 90* U-track at Menards for sure and I think Home Depot also etc if you were looking for some.

Thanks August for the info...I have seen Steel Channel at Home Depot, Lowes and a few metal sites on the net.

There is a way to make the U shape track like what's on the ROTJ E11: ----------

JSmails said:
That is the kind of U-track I put on my ROTJ as I couldn't find rounded.

You can get that style 90* U-track at Menards for sure and I think Home Depot also etc if you were looking for some.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Interesting!

Have those buttons ever been identfied?

PS: Those new pics contradict in several ways to the EIB section, e.g. d-ring mount, muzzle, tracks, etc

K.

That's not surprising Karin. The EIB was created and continues to be based on the information available. Each year there are new discoveries, so it's only natural that this occurs.

That's not surprising Karin. The EIB was created and continues to be based on the information available. Each year there are new discoveries, so it's only natural that this occurs.

Yes, I know. I truely find it fascinating that we still find new things after 30 years.

(I hope my last post didn't sound offending; I was not critizising)

I wonder when the first replica of this blaster pops up.

K.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I know. I truely find it fascinating that we still find new things after 30 years.

I wonder when the first replica of this blaster pops up.

I guess I'll have to do the best I can to attempt this!

Looks like a fun blaster to try out!

I guess I'll have to do the best I can to attempt this!

Looks like a fun blaster to try out!

But remember that some of the greeblies are missing and are not pictured!

If I hadn't going on so many projects right now I'd try it myself :)

K.

• 4 weeks later...

MAN! I'm learning new stuff everyday. I never knew there was so many diffrent blasters for the stormies. I really do enjoy the finds you guys make. It helps me pass the time by everyday. Before I know it, it's usually 2am :dancing-trooper:

I have to bite my tongue when I want to tell them to watch ANH and just count all the differences or different versions there. Consistency was hard to come by when they scavenged for parts to get enough blasters.

I'd suggest biting your tongue less then :)

To some extent it depends on the end goal of the person : are they trying to go for prop recreation to the maximum extent they can or are they just trying to capturing an idealized version?

For example let's say that there are 15 different possible versions of the E-11 used in the films. This is great for prop recreators, but for most 501st troops who are just trying to enjoy trooping they prefer less choice - give them a base standard of a few options that are readily obtainable and then should this not be enough for their fandom, then provide the list of the 15 variants.

For instance Rolf documented 19 variations of sandtroopers, and while this is a great reference for what could be should people try to re-create it, trying to document this for say a Costume Reference for general membership would probably be overly detailed.

Again - two audiences:

1) 501st members for trooping / general costuming purposes

2) Die hard people trying to recreate props as exactly as they can

I agree! I've had long conversations with my partner in crime concerning the opposite ends of the spectrum. Those that are completely happy with a paper towel tube painted black and hardened playdoh as a pistol grip or the guys who pay 800+ for a deactivated sterling. It just cracks me up the enormous grey area in between and those that point out something isn't close enough to the "authentic" end of the spectrum. Meanwhile some have looked at the pictures I posted above and asked "Are those 501st approved?" I answer "I don't know but a $20 plastic toy from Hasbro is". What are you going to do?

I like the variants in costumes, weapons etc. No two soldiers are exactly alike, even if they are supposed to be uniform. You are stormtroopers you're supposed to all look alike but it's those subtle differences that bring out hints of character, status and where you're stationed. I'm having flashbacks to my US government class 18 yrs ago and the understanding of "inclusive" and "Exclusive" interpretation.

Agreed - for me it's all time & $$$ and I suspect it's the same for most. There's what we want, and what we can afford.

I'd also love my helmet to be tricked out not only with fans and 100% self contained vox, but also the ability to - without using my hands - toggle between external vox, my mp3 player, or my cell phone. And, have a small LED readout on my lens that showed current time/temperature/direction, and perhaps could also scroll down my email. And be able able to snap pix too from line of sight. This technology exists today to do all that, but I bet it would cost at least $5000 in parts and labor to make it happen, just like wanting a de-act Sterling conversion that also had the BlasterCore in it ($3000?). :)

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't touch the prop store with a barge pole mate

I have pictures of a film used ESB E11 from the Musical Orchestral tour as they had one in a glass cage

Rubber T tracks all over it. No metal brackets anywhere in sight :)

I wouldn't touch the prop store with a barge pole mate

I have pictures of a film used ESB E11 from the Musical Orchestral tour as they had one in a glass cage

Rubber T tracks all over it. No metal brackets anywhere in sight :)

I have no idea but I always imagined that a lot of the original blasters from ANH would have been recycled, along with the armour.

The world of Star Wars blasters is a weird, diverse and random place though! :D

I have no idea but I always imagined that a lot of the original blasters from ANH would have been recycled, along with the armour.

The world of Star Wars blasters is a weird, diverse and random place though! :D

I only say this becuase from time to time a auction appears on Ebay for a claimed screen used E11

Apparently they were loaned to the studio by a company called Baptys

Baptys recycled the blasters to be used elsewhere and 'apparently' wanted them back as they were sent to them

i.e no scopes and no counters.

Maybe thats why they started casting the props in resin for ESB?

Saying that, whos to say that that E11 above isn't an ESB version. ANH had lots of different versions, so who knows. I just don't trust the prop store, it's open to too much abuse and that auction would raise many a knowledged eyebrow.

If it is a screen used E11, it's just a screen used sterling and someone has then come along and added the parts we know today. (Scope and rails etc) Therefore, it's not screen used at all

It might be, but I just doubt it

• 1 month later...

As John said dont take prop store as 100% , they recantly had an E11 for sale with an M38A2 scope on it saying it was 100% accurate, this could possibly be a base gun and the parts were added after filming, the scope is sitting a lot further back than any i have ever seen before.

Another possibility is that most props get damaged to hell in filming and parts may get replaced , put in the wrong place or exchanged for the nearest thing. My policy is if it doesnt come with a pic of it on film then its not proved.