ABS vs HIPS

I am just trying to get a consensus. I really liked the idea and price of the ATA. I guess another question is how is AP so detailed if it is ABS?

It's not AS detailed. It's just more detailed than FX. We're not talking about the difference between a mountain range and the great plains here... we're talking about a mountain range with every pebble showing or one with only pebbles bigger than your fist showing. (That analogy make sense?) FX is just a mountain model without any rocks at all.

One thing you can do on the HIPS armor is strengthen it.

I just figured this method out on my TD last week and am thinking of buying enough E-6000 to basically "coat" my next set of armor completely on the inside with a layer of canvas and E-6000 before final trimming, assembly and painting it. That would really make it strong.

The thing is ABS is "tackle me and I'll bust a crack" strong.

HIPS is "hit me with a bat and I'll bust a crack" strong.

BOTH are "troop in me and pack me and use me and I'll last good strong." B)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does. It really does. I think I will wait and compair the new set with AP and TM. This is really enlightening. I just wish I could see them all in person side by side.

Get in contact with Star Garrison and go to a larger troop and look over all the different armor there. You may not see every maker but you should get a decent sampling.

Get in contact with Star Garrison and go to a larger troop and look over all the different armor there. You may not see every maker but you should get a decent sampling.

Personally the biggest difference I say is FX vs anything else -- the pieces are just so wonky and distorted. The chest piece is like a freakin cooking apron.

Oh NO! Really? How the heck do you paint it? I tried painting trim on my car and it wouldny dry overnight. Not my best talent...

The best way to paint it is to get it done professionally with automotive paint, which requires a paint gun and air compressor. The results form spray can and auto paint is like night and day. Automotive paint is ALOT more expensive then a spray can but ALOT more durable and flexible being its a catalyzed paint. The gloss is far superior and you will have less peel(texture) in the finish.

• 2 months later...
do they cost the same or is ABS more expensive?

ABS is used because that's the original format for the type of plastic.

HIPS is more modern and a little less expensive.

some armors require paint, so that's an extra issue of strength.

a couple coats of paint, and a clearcoat makes for an even thicker equation.

WRT to pricing; my understanding taking to some of the guys who form is that ABS prices can fluctuate a lot and have been high lately, whereas HIPS has been less expensive to get - sometimes by quite a bit per sheet. Not sure if this is still the case.