ABS vs HIPS

I haven't used the regular Rustoleum, but I have tried the Krylon "Fusion" paint before-- it's supposed to be chemically engineered to bond with plastic. It looked *okay*, but didn't have anywhere near the same luster and depth as the enamel.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used the regular Rustoleum, but I have tried the Krylon "Fusion" paint before-- it's supposed to be chemically engineered to bond with plastic. It looked *okay*, but didn't have anywhere near the same luster and depth as the enamel.

Ā 

How well does the enamel hold up?

How well does the enamel hold up?

Ā 

Unfortunately, I can't answer that one-- I've only had the painted kit (ATA) for a couple months, and haven't really kicked the tires yet. I'm not even finished assembling the body armor! :blush:

It seems like it's pretty resilient paint though. I put down 4 coats, so I suspect I'd have to rough it up pretty good to require a repaint.

I kind like things scuffed up though, so I may not be the best guy to ask. ;)

Ā 

My other 2 kits are ABS and High-Gloss HIPS, and they've held up brilliantly.

Ā 

You could ask Smitty about his lid, or Daetrin about his armor, as they both have been trooping in their painted TE2s for a long time.

Rustoleum maintains its glossiness very well over time. I have had painted TE2 for 2 years now. Since I smoke in my house the paint has slightly yellowed. Not sure if its the smoke or age but I can hit it with Novus polish and ALMOST get a perfect match to my ABS. I didn't notice it much until I had it sitting side by side with my freshly painted ATA bucket.

So what about HIPS that is 3mm thick? Also, I was reading this fella talking about his armor and he was saying that his is the Movie FX not to be confused with the AFX that the common 501st trooper wears. What if any is the difference? Who would the maker be or is this just a recast?

Thanks!

Movie FX is made in Germany-- I've seen quite a few pictures, and it's ridiculously thick armor.

I saw a couple shots of it in the trimming/assembly stage, and couldn't believe how chunky the plastic is.

Ā 

I'm not 100% sure, but it definitely looks to be based off the TE-lineage, although the helmet has been really heavily modified.

There's something very "off" about it.

Ā 

R2-Dan, here on the board, used to own a set... he would be a good person to ask.

Movie FX is made in Germany-- I've seen quite a few pictures, and it's ridiculously thick armor.

I saw a couple shots of it in the trimming/assembly stage, and couldn't believe how chunky the plastic is.

Ā 

I'm not 100% sure, but it definitely looks to be based off the TE-lineage, although the helmet has been really heavily modified.

There's something very "off" about it.

Ā 

R2-Dan, here on the board, used to own a set... he would be a good person to ask.

He is saying that the Movie FX is very accurate as well and is more durable then common HIPS. I guess it is because it is so thick. The helmet he has looks great! I don't know if it is the same. It is a HIPS tho. Heck, from what I have seen the armor looks great too. I was comparing it to pictures from ANH and could find little difference. I don't know! Seems like a great set, but from a distance so does that E-bay recast armor. Kinda like a $300 car paint job. I am interested in buying it for hospital trooping and just don't want to get ripped off.

From bad experiences of my garrison mates I suggest staying away from MovieFX: very bad dealing, long waits, incomplete deliveries, bad communication.

Ā 

Stick to the known and good producers: TE2, AP, TM.

I'm having a hard time deciding on the ATA or the FX. Those are the two in my price range. I'm not sure about the TE2 though. It seems like the ABS is better in the long run, bit more expensive. But HIPS can be good, but you have to be really careful cutting it out and wearing it, and you have to paint it which is hard for me to do living in a 2bd apt, and in north texas which is very humid. I don't know if my asthma could handle the fuems or how little cat and rabbit fur I could get to stay off the paint. And my local hasn't been real helpful on any of this.

Brandon -- if painting is an insurmountable obstacle, I would honestly recommend extending your waiting period a bit, and saving up for an AP or a TM suit. There's also a new kit coming from the current producer of FX armor that looks promising.

Ā 

Those options are a bit more expensive than the FX, but trust me... almost everyone who gets seriously involved in this hobby gravitates towards screen-accurate armor at some point. Might as well get the good stuff right off the bat.

Ā 

I owned my FX suit for a whopping 4 months before I sold it on eBay for a more accurate kit. The more I learned about the real stormtrooper armor, and the available reproductions, the more and more dissatisfied I became with all the discrepancies in the FX armor.

And mine's not an uncommon story... just somethin' to think about.

Ā 

Ā 

Corey -- I've also heard the Movie FX is next-to-impossible to procure if you don't live in Germany. As Pablo said, there are plenty of customer stories floating around about horrific delivery schedules.

I wouldn't have cash to even get the other set till this project I have is done. Hopefully the bext few weeks. The ATA doesn't look bad. Just that I was really hoping to have a set done by the spring. That and its hard to convince wifey to get the kit at $600! I am waiting to see the new FX kit and am on his list.

From bad experiences of my garrison mates I suggest staying away from MovieFX: very bad dealing, long waits, incomplete deliveries, bad communication.

Ā 

Stick to the known and good producers: TE2, AP, TM.

This armor comes from someone here in the states. It is his personal armor. He was going to join the 501st but his job and home took to much of his time. He has only worn it twice. It is fully finished with boots (happen to be my size), neck seal, everything.

I just can't put the armor together right now because of my condition (leg missing). I can do some of the detail work but I am in no shape to fully assemble armor. So, something complete would be nice. If the biggest problem with Movie FX is dealing with Germany then I'll probably go for it since it is already here in the U.S. Unless there is some big reason I should not.

This armor comes from someone here in the states. It is his personal armor. He was going to join the 501st but his job and home took to much of his time. He has only worn it twice. It is fully finished with boots (happen to be my size), neck seal, everything.

I just can't put the armor together right now because of my condition (leg missing). I can do some of the detail work but I am in no shape to fully assemble armor. So, something complete would be nice. If the biggest problem with Movie FX is dealing with Germany then I'll probably go for it since it is already here in the U.S. Unless there is some big reason I should not.

Ā 

Corey-- sending you a PM. I might have another option for you to consider. :)

Is it because they are of lesser quality?

Ā 

Nope. The particular maker I'm thinking of prefers to stay out of all the "he said/she said" garbage that surrounds the trooper world sometimes.

The pulls aren't quite as sharp as some others, but it's good stuff, for sure.

Ā 

And to quote Forrest Gump-- "That's all I have to say about that". :D

This is a fun read... and you guys are (of course) doing a great job of answering Brandon's questions... but I did want to jump in and reiterate a few things... since it is a "forum" and all. ;)

Ā 

First off man, you know ATA will need to be painted too... right?

That being said, I've seen some pretty impressive sanding tutorials for HIPS armor that use zero paint.

THAT being said, if you're gonna go with HIPS wait a few extra days / weeks / minutes and get TE2. B)

Ā 

I also agree with what doug said about his FX armor. I was really, really happy with mine (bucket and all) until I watched the movies again... and then started seeing pictures of other people's armor... and then... well... it doesn't hold its place on a pedestal long for anyone.

Ā 

I've said it on many threads so far and I'll say it again... if you're getting into this new I just can't, in good conscience, recommend starting with FX. Start "high" and go "higher." There's no reason (money, time, nothing) that should make you start with FX anymore.

Ā 

That's my most humble and gracious opinion. ;)

This is a fun read... and you guys are (of course) doing a great job of answering Brandon's questions... but I did want to jump in and reiterate a few things... since it is a "forum" and all. ;)

Ā 

First off man, you know ATA will need to be painted too... right?

That being said, I've seen some pretty impressive sanding tutorials for HIPS armor that use zero paint.

THAT being said, if you're gonna go with HIPS wait a few extra days / weeks / minutes and get TE2. B)

Ā 

I also agree with what doug said about his FX armor. I was really, really happy with mine (bucket and all) until I watched the movies again... and then started seeing pictures of other people's armor... and then... well... it doesn't hold its place on a pedestal long for anyone.

Ā 

I've said it on many threads so far and I'll say it again... if you're getting into this new I just can't, in good conscience, recommend starting with FX. Start "high" and go "higher." There's no reason (money, time, nothing) that should make you start with FX anymore.

Ā 

That's my most humble and gracious opinion. ;)

Ā 

Since ATA is HIPS, then yea I figured that. :)

Ā 

The FX I was thinking of getting is Tupperware TK's new redesign he is working on. I am not sure it if it really FX then, but that was my other choice. What would you go with then?

The FX I was thinking of getting is Tupperware TK's new redesign he is working on. I am not sure it if it really FX then, but that was my other choice. What would you go with then?

I've not seen that new armor (I don't think), but I've heard good things. And yeah, I doubt it will be called "FX". But, again, I don't know. :P

Ā 

Personally I still choose something different... but ask 100 guys on here and you'll get 101 answers. ;)