My first armor build (lots of pics)[*TE]

Here is the armor I got a few weeks ago. The guy that sold it to me claims it to be a TE but I found out other wise.

DSCF1728.jpg

Got a chance to start on a few parts over the weekend. Sanded it down with 220. Primed and sanded with 1500. Nice and smooth :)

DSCF1749.jpg

DSCF1750.jpg

DSCF1757.jpg

DSCF1756.jpg

I didnt start on the back plate yet. Wanted to find out if this bump should be here or not. Should I grind this out?

DSCF1751.jpg

Pretty good combo. I liked how these 2 worked out.

prmpan.jpg

I think the paint job came out pretty good. Has a really nice shine to it.

DSCF1758.jpg

DSCF1759.jpg

DSCF1760.jpg

DSCF1761.jpg

DSCF1763.jpg

DSCF1762.jpg

Letting it dry :)

DSCF1764.jpg

Once I am all done with the armor I will be using a med. cut cleaner and polish. I used this method on a Vader and Tie helmet a while back. Really brings out a great shine.

DSCF1766.jpg

The arms and legs I will try and work on next weekend. Just seeing how this stuff fits together.

DSCF1767.jpg

Should this over lap?

DSCF1752.jpg

Or should it be flush like this?

DSCF1754.jpg

DSCF1755.jpg

DSCF1753.jpg

Hope to get more done next weekend.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a bit off-topic, but I am wondering, does you guys have any good tips regarding spray painting? I feel I never have control over the spray painting process, as it seems that I always leave some parts without the necessary coverage, making some parts non-glossy - kind of 'sandpaper' like. :(

Ā 

I've tried to hold the spray can at least 30 cm above the painting area, and I always keep the can in motion to avoid drippings, but sometimes it still does not work that well :S

The back plate bump can be taken out.

Ā 

As for spraying, the only way to ensure perfect coverage is to spray in the lightest of coats, first up and down, then side to side. let each coat dry and be TOTALLY patient. GO have a cup of tea in between coats! Don't be tempted to go back and touch up while its drying! I found this out, its the only way to get a nice finish.

The back plate bump can be taken out.

Ā 

As for spraying, the only way to ensure perfect coverage is to spray in the lightest of coats, first up and down, then side to side. let each coat dry and be TOTALLY patient. GO have a cup of tea in between coats! Don't be tempted to go back and touch up while its drying! I found this out, its the only way to get a nice finish.

Ā 

Ā 

Going back and fourth on the bump. Wont take much to take that out.

Ā 

Yeah, you got to have lots of patients when painting.

Did some work on this today. Not to happy with how a few pieces came out when painted. First question. Are these suppose to be this off centered?

DSCF1777.jpg

DSCF1778.jpg

Ā 

I taped the areas that will be glued later on. Didnt want to have to remove the paint down the road.

DSCF1779.jpg

DSCF1780.jpg

DSCF1781.jpg

DSCF1782.jpg

Ā 

Cut this little plate out.

DSCF1783.jpg

DSCF1785.jpg

Ā 

I took that bump out. Filled it in and letting it dry.

DSCF1789.jpg

DSCF1787.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg

DSCF1786.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

Primed, Sanded with 1000 and ready for paint.

DSCF1794.jpg

Ā 

Painted :)

DSCF1798.jpg

Ā 

Here is the frustrating part. Not sure what happened here. None of this came through on the primer. Dont know if something was on it, the paint was bad, not hot out enough, to close when painting, to much paint ect. Insted of sanding and repainting just going to use some 2000 sand paper and buff it out.

DSCF1800.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

DSCF1801.jpg

Ā 

I noticed this on the leg armor that I still have to do. The guy I bought it from must have had some tape on the armor. I think this is what messed up my paint job. I thought I sanded it off pretty good. Is there anything else that would take this off better?

DSCF1796.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome man... just awesome! amazing and detailed thread, the accidents part is specially important as when it happens to other people they can know what to do!

This kit comes with everything you need..

Ā 

http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/Products/S...?q=stormtrooper

Ā 

Ā 

And here is a good tutorial a lot of people follow...

Ā 

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html

Ā 

Ā 

That's a nice looking neck seal, where did you get it from?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ā 

Been reading this with interest.

Ā 

I have been thinking about spray painting my FX kit for a while ( I was never happy with it's off-white shade ), but have been put off because I didn't know how durable it would be ( rubbing of the thighs scraping paint off etc. )

Ā 

Now that I've seen that so many others do this, is wear on the armour rubbing the paint off a major issue?

Ā 

Darren TK4841

Hi all,

Ā 

Been reading this with interest.

Ā 

I have been thinking about spray painting my FX kit for a while ( I was never happy with it's off-white shade ), but have been put off because I didn't know how durable it would be ( rubbing of the thighs scraping paint off etc. )

Ā 

Now that I've seen that so many others do this, is wear on the armour rubbing the paint off a major issue?

Ā 

Darren TK4841

Ā 

Ā 

That I dont know. I have never worn armor before. This will be my first. I can see that happening though.