Neutralizing velcro adhesive

I'm working on my armor and am having a problem. In a few spots the velcro backing points towards the inside. I figured the adhesive would dry out, but after 5 days it's still sticky. I've also tried rubbing it down with acetone but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

I was playing around with my armour today and removed some velcro . I got the glue off with some methylated spirits and a plastic dish scourer ( like steel wool , but much gentler and made of plastic ) . Took a bit of effort , but it worked a treat :) .

Acetone is the active ingrediant it goo gone, and too much can melt the plastic backing of the velcro. Keep in mind I'm not trying to remove the velcro just the sticky from the backside where it touches my undersuit.

I tried some of these ideas and it was messy and damaged the plastic a bit (can't remember which idea that was). The best thing I did was just to roll some tape around my hand (sticky side out) and tap that against the adhesive. Takes a few minutes, but pulls it off w/o any trace left on the plastic.

Well I got some oops today, it's naptha based not acetone. It just made the semi-dry glue sticky all over again.

Thanks to my wife reading parenting magazine Q&A I got the solution. Hand lotion..................who would of thought. I put some lotion on my hands and lightly rubed it over the velco adhesive and let it dry. Worked like a charm.

Rubbing alcohol. It will take off the adhesive and you won't risk damaging your armor.

Yep , that's the same sort of stuff as the Methylated spirits I used . My armour came up as if it had never been velcroed , nice and shiny :) The lighter fluid may well be a similar thing .

• 2 weeks later...

I use charcoal lighter fluid for my ABS and styrene. Shines and conditions it. dab some on your remaining adhesive, let it soak up a bit, and the stuff comes right off. It also removes paint scuffs, jelly stains and mold and milldew.

I use charcoal lighter fluid for my ABS and styrene. Shines and conditions it. dab some on your remaining adhesive, let it soak up a bit, and the stuff comes right off. It also removes paint scuffs, jelly stains and mold and milldew.

I use Zippo lighter fluid for paint scuffs too, but I have to hear the story behind the jelly stains (including what flavor)!

I used Furniture polish, "Pledge" I think. It is safe for your armor, and should leava a shine! use napkins to lift the adhesive off when it is soaked with the polish.

Thats a pretty good idea, something I never would have thought of thats for sure :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I used strength! My fingers felt like they were breaking!

I know this is a slightly old and moldy topic (but I'm sure I can handle that with some goof-off :P ).

I actually used a combination of good ol' finger power (ya, mine felt like they we're going to come off after an hour or two of pulling velcro goo), and once the bulk of the velcro was off, I used the Goof-Off natural version (safe for plastics) to get rid of any residue.

Many great ideas, and they all work very well. Have allso used lighter fluid with great results. Even with those darned stickers that they put on glassware from the store. Heck of a lot better than using the sandblaster approach :P