Snap system (pic heavy)

Thought I'd post this in case anyone was curious on how to use the snap system for their FX kits. I've had several troops in my armor now and all seems well. I am very happy with the way it's held up.

1aMzp2u.jpg

Kibw5Ra.jpg

ylTdMBl.jpg

Rd8FCrg.jpg

O2hNCFf.jpg

9TTsp5q.jpg

That is cool to see. I am waiting on a canvas belt and have been trying to decide if I should attach the belt (with the abs part) to the actual armor or keep it loose like yours. I kinda like the way you did it and may do the same for mine.

• 1 month later...
TK-1842 said:

Thought I'd post this in case anyone was curious on how to use the snap system for their FX kits. I've had several troops in my armor now and all seems well. I am very happy with the way it's held up.

Intresting!!!! has the snap ever poped? why did u go with one snap and not 2 or more?? Intresting i think i will be doing some mods ... ;)

Intresting!!!! has the snap ever poped? why did u go with one snap and not 2 or more?? Intresting i think i will be doing some mods ... ;)

Thats very similar to how mine is set up and I have had no issues as of yet. I have used heavy duty marine canvas snaps, they are very strong. The only thing I did differently was I decided to install abs sheets into my canvas belt to make it stronger and then attach it to my ab piece, i was too worried it would slide down during troops.

Pretty much the same except everywhere I put a snap I put two snaps, one male to female, the other female to male. Helps hold together a little better and if one snap pops open you've got a back up still holding it together.

Double snaps, good idea, nothing worse than a thigh heading south mid troop! ;)

I did my belt with the snaps but the abs part keeps popping off the canvas belt on the side when I put it on? How do I keep the snaps from popping loose?

You could attach the front ABS utility belt with screws/nuts or rivets, then cover up the screw/rivet with a piece of ABS glued in place over it.

Double snaps, good idea, nothing worse than a thigh heading south mid troop! ;)

Yeah, I can attest to that. :(

I'll definitely be adding double-snaps to my thighs before my next troop.

• 2 weeks later...

A little tip;

If you are using snaps to connect parts together that normally do not need to come apart, put a drop of hot glue inside the snap before you close it and then it will not pop undone unexpectedly, but you can open them up again if needed :)

What snaps do you use, the snaps I purchased at Home Depot where terrible, they pop open all of the time.

I couldn't attach my belt to the torso with the snaps because the pull from the plastic would pop the snaps open within seconds of standing still.

It created a huge snag in my progress and I haven't done much with my suite since then.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in a while. I just noticed this thread I started has shown some interest. I purchased my snaps at JO ANN Fabrics. I also got the elastic strapping there.

Just to add, I haven't had one snap pop since I've been trooping, except for the few times my bicep strap came undone. This is minor and can be easily fixed with double snaps or locking snaps. I have done plenty of crazy stuff in it too, including a parade troop at Trek Fest three weeks ago. A friend of mine did his set up the exact same way I did and he has had a few minor problems, but mostly because he is a much bigger guy than I am. Most people find the snaps can pop off from the shoulder bells and the bicep straps. His did this, but mostly his belt gave him problems. If you're not over 190lbs and about 5' 10" or taller you should be fine with this set up. Snaps are definately the way to go however. I have seen way too many troopers having endless problems in mid troop with just velcro . Good luck. :)

small strips of ABS, then glue the ABS to your armor

You can use the spare abs belt that comes with the kit. You don't want to use that for the belt anyways. Score it, then break it into 1 1/2" squares. Then drill a hole through the middle and snap it up. :)

Just went out to michaels today and bought some 5/8" snaps. Don't know if they're heavy duty or not but will that size work?

Got my Tandy Line 24 snaps there and they will more than do. ;)

Found this on the Bay. Not sure if its worth the high $$, probably can do it yourself for a bit less.

Snap system for armor

You're totally paying for labor there. Probably $20-25 in materials.

And while having the snap tabs pre-made is fine, it's only useful if he countersinks the snap into the plates. And the straps are less useful because he's predetermined the length.

IMO, better off buying your own elastic and making your own tabs. Then you can determine where to place the tabs and make the elastic straps in only the length you need.

Oh...and here's a helpful tip I discovered making mine: once you've attached the male part of the snap to the ABS or styrene plate, if you want to avoid using a heat gun and heating the entire piece of plastic (which can misshape it), use a soldering iron! Get it nice and hot and place it in the hole in the center of the back plate for the snap. It will superheat only the snap and you'll see it start to sink into the plastic after about 30-45 seconds. Pull the soldering iron tip away, press the back of the snap in gently, and let it cool. Viola! The rest of the plate retains it's shape and you have a nice flat plate on the back. :D

Not one that is / has become a sticky, there are several...... mostly that of the old guys that have been here since the start ( there were only a hand full of TK and less EI , so every one was doing very very detailed threads of how they did there armor. I would go back to the begin and check that out. They are there.