Cheap TK Boots

Difficult to get a cheap pair that look good and stand up to the rigours of trooping. The cheap option is to get a pair of Chelsea boots and dye them white, but they end up all scuffed and you have to keep re-dying them. The other option is to bite the bullet and buy Stormtrooper boots from caboots.com. There used to be other makers out there, but they seem to have stopped making them. If there are other options, I'm sure someone will be along soon... HTH! :)

They smell of the rubber material and the glue used in the soles. I've had mine three years and they still smell. :) I don't mind the smell. Some say it's like fish, but all I smell is rubber and glue.

However, the look is perfect!

They are shoes....you were expecting them to smell like roses?

Authentic Mark Chengs are the best.

then the CAboots

then the Vietnamese well water kids

then dyed Chelseas

after that you get into the realm of TK's wearing white Chuck Taylors.

They are shoes....you were expecting them to smell like roses?

Authentic Mark Chengs are the best.

then the CAboots

then the Vietnamese well water kids

then dyed Chelseas

Personally I'd put dyed Jodhpur's above Caboots, but that's MHO.

Yeah, Mark Chengs are by far the best, but you'll have to sell a kidney to find any left.

Ooooh.. comfy! :)

CABoots are a good easy choice. I got mine fairly quick, but the service left a little to be desired. The smell isn't too bad, it just smells like rubber and glue. If you're like me and you keep them in your armor bin, everyone in the house will know whenever you are getting into that bin. :lol:

Yeah, Mark Chengs are by far the best, but you'll have to sell a kidney to find any left.

I agree & are also the most accurate IMO each scuff that reveals black under the white dye brings you closer to film accuracy.

I almost place the Dyed Chelsea's over the CABoots, but didnt cuz ya gotta admit, when CABoots are brand new, they are just sexy parked under some ABS shins.

I'd put dyed Jodhpurs at the top of the list myself. That's what they used on screen so how can you get any better than that :blink: Just my opinion of course :)

They dont smell that bad. The intensity is about the same as "fresh paint" on a model or hee hee a helmet. You cant smell them at all when they are worn. Just when you pull em from the box in your bin. You wont find a newer, nicer boot for $80. I dont think. Most of the "jodphurs" are hard to track down here in the states as NOBODY wears them except maybe Mike Myers....and the illusive boots can be pricey even for used ones. I cant find any anywhere "cheap". If you are diligent you can find similar boots at the 2nd hand store occasionally, but you have to paint them and the paint will flake off regularly. Thats just one of the costs of being a trooper. The Caboots are over priced for the quality and workmanship, but its all we have :)

When I bit the bullet, I picked up 2 pair of the Caboots. I also have a pair of "dye job" boot's, that I did before I found out about the Caboots. I still have the nice,dull,ready for sand ones. After I dyed them, they right away struck me as real good TD boot's.

• 1 month later...

Eddie, I wouldn't worry too much about the CAboots and the smell... I bit the bullet and got mine a couple weeks ago and truthfully it's not that bad. There is a distinct difference between an offensive "funk" smell and a rubber/glue, faux leather (?) smell of which the CAboots are the latter. I haven't trooped in them yet but as Smitty said they just look great. I haven't heard any stories from the more experienced troopers about people saying, "Awesome costume; BTW did you step in something that died some time ago?"

I think if you save up and go for the CABoots you won't be disappointed. My two Republic credits worth. :trooper::salute:

I haven't heard any stories from the more experienced troopers about people saying, "Awesome costume; BTW did you step in something that died some time ago?"

I´ve got Caboots as well, and the odors seems mainly to be given off from something inside the shoes. So when you stuff your foot in it, nobody can smell them. Also, airing them outside for a few days (or, preferably, weeks, or better yet, months) seems to get rid of the worst of it.

I would, however, advice you to always bring a fresh pair of socks when trooping in them...Oh the horror! The horror!

Also, if you keep you gear in a suitcase or anything with a closed lid, I suggest taking the Caboots out before storing your gear for the next troop. I speak from bitter experience.