modded rubies supream tk armor

Yup, that's the crux of it. It's all in the build - a well done FX will always look better than a poorly built TM. Now we know a Rubies with enough attention to detail - plus a helmet swap - can be made to look 501st acceptable.

What we should do is catalog the list of changes required and codify it. This is what was done by the UKG with regards to the MRCE helmet and as we've seen was rapidly adopted by MEPD & FISD, and then Legion wide. It's due to that discrete list of codified changes that IMHO allowed the MRCE to become so amazingly popular.

So, are we saying that the required changes would be:

1. Replace the helmet with a 501st approved option

2. Replace the oversized bodysuit with one that is 501st acceptable.

3. Large gaps on side of armour to be corrected (if present)

4. A 501st acceptable holster needs to be acquired and mounted.

5. Armor has to be properly trimmed/shimmed/adjusted to the wearer, just like all other armor makes. *

* This is required of all applicants, regardless of armor make

For ANH?

From doing my ROTJ Rubies there are really a lot of differences between ANH and ROTJ and the Rubies. Most all of them are nit-picky for sure, and your average passerby would never notice them. Especially kids. But living up to 501 standards is what joining garrisons is about.

Here is a small list of differences between the Rubies, and an ANH suit.

1. The ridge around the armor pieces is only seen in ROTJ armor. Unless you are doing ANH/SE TD which is actually ROTJ.

2. Shoulder straps are riveted on. I don't know the ANH CRL that well.

3. Shoulder straps DO NOT have the flat piece at the ends.

4. The belt boxes DO NOT have the raised square button in the middle or on the ends.

5. Rounded shoulder bells.

6. ROTJ hand plates, not ANH.

7. Skinny belt. The ANH belt is almost as wide as the belt boxes, right?

8. Chest plate hangs too low because of the rivet and shows too much black at the neck.

9. Butt and kidney plate are connected in one piece.

10. The drop boxes are held by black elastic. Don't know ANH CRL that well.

11. Belt is plastic, not canvas. Can cover it in canvas.

12. Buttons are just black stickers. They aren't grey and blue.

That is a list of things that I have seen different between the Rubies and an ANH suit.

Maybe I am confusing Elite status with 501st approval. But that list I have made is definitely things that would be lacking for an ANH suit. Nit-picky? Yes. I guess.

Here is the list of things he could change to make it an ROTJ suit instead of ANH. The list is much, much shorter.

1. Get an ROTJ helmet. Need to DIY as there really aren't many/any for sale.

2. Clip the rivet in the shoulder straps and replace with white industrial velcro.

3. Replace the drop box straps with white strapping.

4. Cover the belt in webbing or canvas. I am looking for the type of webbing for my own suit.

5. THE HARD PART, flip those ab buttons.

6. Change the ab buttons to 6 black, 3 blue.

That's about it. The hand plate, the rib around the armor, the belt boxes, the skinny belt, the rounded bells, and the connected butt plate are all ROTJ.

I'm just posting the reasons why I had to turn mine to ROTJ. There are just too many differences that I'd never be able to look at it and say, "Wow, nice ANH! Except for the ribbing around the armor, the bells, hand plates, belt, belt boxes, drop box straps, shoulder straps and buttons." It's just too deficient in the little details that make an ANH suit an ANH suit. At least, too deficient for me. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

i was unable to login here for a while but bro I want to thank you and the other guys for helping me some with my armor, hopefuly we can all get together again soon and i can get some more done, for the $400 I paid for this new in box i am not sure i could have bought and assembled a fan made for the same and still would have had to do all the mods and fitting, this armor is thick heavy gauge abs not thin like some of the fan mades i have seen not that that makes a difference just wanted guys to know it is a rigid material that they used ;) i was given a pair of calves and eventualy may start to fase out the rubies pats in lou of fan made so I match everyone else depending on how well we can make this set fit :)

Lets all keep in mind that this dorky hobby of ours is for our love of Star Wars and our desire to be a part of it in some way. I take my hat off to anyone tackling a Rubies project as I too enjoy a challenge. Just as I appreciate a good set of modded FX armor or a pimped out MRCE. It's the time and effort that really counts for me, and as we all know it's that effort in assembling and strapping our armor that forms our right of passage into the 501st.

Tom, I'd be proud to troop with you. :salute:

• 5 months later...

I just found this thread and all I have to say is "Wow." Those pics in post #21 of the thread are really impressive. Sure, like is pointed out, it's definitely a ROTJ type of suit. But it's FAR better than any other Rubies pics I've seen... and yes, I would say well worth entry into the Legion. There are some FX suits I've seen that look worse than that one. Those comparison pictures at the armor party are something too. I mean it makes the Rubies look... dare I say... BETTER than the FX. The FX legs and such look like tubes comparatively.

So yeah... good job guy!

I'll be excited to hear what happens... or did it happen yet? :)

• 3 months later...

hey I tink I want to take this on.

I got minein a after Halloween sale $225

it will give me something to play with then pass on or loan out when the time is right

learning this new hobby of mine before I dive in and try to join the 501st

thank to every one for the great ideas and readings

and the button filp is for ROTJ only? and what order is the black and blue buttons?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:huh: It's too bad that most unsuspecting fans think that the Rubbies is a great costume. The picture on the box looks nothing like what you get once it's opened. The pieces are all warped & sit wrong when wearing it. I saw this thing in person when it first came out. It looked horrible :blink: Grandma or Mom don't knnow about the nicer cheaper kits out there when they buy lil Jimmy a stortrooper costume. Edited by Chunk
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

fcogfs.jpgI had to! smile.gif

I have been doing my research to get to the point of building my first TK armor. I noticed some people are complaining about the button configuration on the ab plate and that it should be flipped. I found a reference picture from ROTJ on this site that shows the same configuration as the Rubies has, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/1315-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-bluray-capture-69jpg/ , Am I missing something as to why this isn't acceptable?

I have been doing my research to get to the point of building my first TK armor. I noticed some people are complaining about the button configuration on the ab plate and that it should be flipped. I found a reference picture from ROTJ on this site that shows the same configuration as the Rubies has, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/1315-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-bluray-capture-69jpg/ , Am I missing something as to why this isn't acceptable?

The button plate on stock rubies is like it was in ANH and ESB. What you are looking at is a modded rubies where it has been flipped to how it was in ROTJ.

Sorry,  My first response came out a bit harsh.  I did not mean it to sound like I was Bashing.

Some one put a lot of effort into this, and while I am not sure the thought process of going to all that effort when there are better/same price kits out there, I salute the attempt.

:smiley-sw013:  :duim:

Edited by rhapsodyred99

• 1 month later...

It is unfortunate that Lucasfilm see fit to licence inaccurate armour instead of speaking to fan 'professionals.' You know, people who make armour out of love (as well as ABS and HIPS wink.gif .)

LOL  :laugh1:

• 1 year later...

I think with all the correct modifications, it should be acceptable. Replacing the helmet with an MR-CE, trimming, buttons, new canvas belt, a real undersuit & boots & holster, it can work and not look so bad. I've seen worse FX and recast suits be accepted. But people should know if they go this route, it'll be a LOT more expensive in the end and a lot of modification work than if they just bought accurate armor though accepted (unlicensed 501st armorers) sources.

I've been seeing a lot of folks picking up the Rubies Collectors Edition helmets, thinking they're cool and cheap then finding out the lenses are glued to the outside of the helmet when they could have picked up a slightly more accurate MR-CE for a bit more cash.

• 11 months later...

I'm flipping the button panel on mine. Can anyone share their experience on doing that?

"chirp...chirp"

I guess Ill hot-knife it out, flip and caulk back in. 

I have a nice EFX (not "FX") helmet that would probably work, I just REALLY don't want to paint the frown all black, maybe there's an alternative? I thought about strips of black electricians tape.

This baby is actually shaping up well.....dare I say.

Anovos....please get here soon though...I much prefer ANH.

Edited by meekerscott

• 3 weeks later...

huh.gif It's too bad that most unsuspecting fans think that the Rubbies is a great costume. The picture on the box looks nothing like what you get once it's opened. The pieces are all warped & sit wrong when wearing it. I saw this thing in person when it first came out. It looked horrible blink.gif Grandma or Mom don't knnow about the nicer cheaper kits out there when they buy lil Jimmy a stortrooper costume.

Hee hee. As one of the Rubies mistakes, I find your lack of faith disturbing...

...but your post is extremely funny and true. 

• 2 weeks later...