TM's Latex hand plates

Well, I had to give it a go....didn't I :P

I made some clay sculpts and took a plaster cast mould of them. Filled the mould with latex and Voila! ANH hand plates ready for paint. I have some plastidip white paint to try on them, but first I will leave them for another couple of days just to make sure they are fully cured. I poured these on Friday and left them in the airing cupboard above the water heater and they seem to be cured, though I am not sure if they should be a uniform colour when fully cured? You'll notice that the latex has shrunk about 5% so I may have to increase the size of the mould if the hand plates look too small when glued to my gloves. We'll see how it goes at the end of the week when I should have a finished pair of gloves ready to wear. Stay tuned!

Latex.jpg

Latex2.jpg

Latex1.jpg

Tip tip mate.MAGIX leather spray paint sticks to almost anything.I tryed plastidip and found it just pealed off .

I found these to be the best price in the UK MAGIX leather spray dye

Covers well and very flexable.

Btw really like the hand guards ;) you have my address dont you?

This is a great day for the Empire. First there were no latex hand plates for sale, now we have three excellent sources.

What a great day!

Excuse my ignorance but what is the advantage of the latex hand plates over abs?

Uber accuracy!

The original ANH hand plates were made from latex, not vacuum formed plastic like what comes with replica stormtrooper armour. I don't think there are any advantages of using latex over ABS, but if you are going for a screen used look, then latex is what you want. If you want a pristine set of armour for trooping, then ABS will probably be better.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the advantage of the latex hand plates over abs?

Jim

Here you go mate, take a look at these and you'll get an idea of what they looked like :)

LatexHandplates.jpg

Paul

Pretty darn nice there Sir B)

Hey Paul,

I used Dulux white house paint on the ones I made. The type that has a measure of latex in it. Just brush it on with a sponge brush and it will go on smooth as, and is flexible enough for wearing the hand backs on troops/filming or what have you. Of couse if you double over the hand back, it will strech the paint a bit too much causing cracks. But that is to be expected.

Hope that helps

• 3 years later...

It's been a while since I added anything to this thread and now I am happy to show off a few sets of my latest version of latex hand plates.

After making my original hand plates I soon realised they were too small after the latex had cured so I decided to have another go at making them. I was lucky enough to go vist the guys at RS props and I took a pair of Karins hand plates with me and compared them to the ABS hand plates that came with Simons suit which were bigger. I realise these may not have been the exact same size of the original hand plates but I am guessing they are, so I have based mine on these from Simon and made them slightly bigger to allow for the latex shrinking.

Here are the photos of the first lot I have made. The last photo shows one of Karins for size comparison only.

DSCF1857.jpgDSCF1858.jpgDSCF1859.jpgDSCF1860.jpg

I will paint a pair soon and get them fixed to some rubber gloves to see how they look and post a few photos to show you :)

Paul put me down for a couple of sets please mate.

Try Plasti-dip paint - it is special paint for latex and will really do the trick mate.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?type=Domestic_Solutions/Plastidip&stage=1&gclid=CNqgzI7j064CFcImtAod0VBacw