New here, feeling overwhelmed

Hello everyone. Joining the 501st has been a longtime desire for me for a while now. I'm actually going to do it now though, but I'd like to ask for some help...

• I will likely be a part of the Golden Gate Garrison (they seem the closest to me), and I'm trying to look for their forum.
  • I don't have a lot of space to build my own armor. I also don't have much experience with making my own either. Will need someone vetted to commission I suppose.
    • I'd also like it to be as accurate as possible with all the details.
    • Looking to make an OT TK suit (ep 5 probably my favorite)
  • It looks like I need my suit before officially joining, am I getting that right?

Thanks, I look forward to one day being a part of the community :)
I apologize for the short post, but nevertheless, I intend to fully commit! I'm just intimidated!

Edited by Elflord_Knight

5 hours ago, Elflord_Knight said:

Hello everyone. Joining the 501st has been a longtime desire for me for a while now. I'm actually going to do it now though, but I'd like to ask for some help...

• I will likely be a part of the Golden Gate Garrison (they seem the closest to me), and I'm trying to look for their forum.
  • I don't have a lot of space to build my own armor. I also don't have much experience with making my own either. Will need someone vetted to commission I suppose.
    • I'd also like it to be as accurate as possible with all the details.
    • Looking to make an OT TK suit (ep 5 probably my favorite)
  • It looks like I need my suit before officially joining, am I getting that right?

Thanks, I look forward to one day being a part of the community :)
I apologize for the short post, but nevertheless, I intend to fully commit! I'm just intimidated!

Hi Adam, 

Welcome to FISD.  Glad to read you're in the way to become an Imperial Stormtrooper of the 501st . 

Most of us were on your feet once, so don't be afraid and take avery step at the time. Don't spend any money till you are sure you have the correct info.

You may want to try contacting Golden Gate Garrison by FB  https://www.facebook.com/501stGGG

If you haven't done yet, take a look to the following sections

And this useful inedx

Hello and welcome aboard, each costume has a CRL (costume reference library) base standards for 501st legion acceptance, for EPV 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_esb

Lots of research with this hobby but don't worry there are plenty of people here ready to help and answer your questions

Good luck

Hi Adam, welcome aboard,

Your feeling of being overwhelmed is common with new members, but you are not alone on this journey.

I too was blown away by the sheer volume of information these forums contain back when i joined in 2014, completely overwhelmed by it all, and not knowing where to start.

Rest assured, none of us had ever assembled armour, many never sewn a stitch in their lives when we decided this is our new adventure, but we had support and an influx of information from members and the staff of this detachment that built the confidence to make it all work out.

Research is the key to this hobby, but we are by your side to assist, your local unit will also have members there, possibly Imperial attaches of this detachment to also assist.

I see you have been shown some excellent links to important parts of the forums, keep asking questions, you are now on a new and exciting learning curve and in time will become proficient in the lingo, the ability to assemble an armour kit and be darn proud of what you will achieve.

Once again welcome aboard, the fun only gets better and better, that is a promise.

Welcome! As mentioned above, research is key, the more time spent talking with others on the forum and researching build threads/ videos things will start making more sense. It is alot to take in when starting out. This is a great page where you can ask anyone questions for build advice. Armor also comes in different sizes as well. The key is not to rush anything and research. We all were in your shoes when we started. 

Edited by viewoptic

Welcome.  I know the overwhelmed feeling all too well and my advice on that is to be active on this board as much as you can.  It will all seem less stressful when you get to know a few people and this place starts to feel like home.

Bart

I can certainly attest to the helpfulness of the folks here on FISD!

Unlike forums for my other hobbies, where questions are often met with "stop asking questions when you can just Google it!" (*I bet you can imagine the gruff tone*), you will NOT be confronted with that here! On FISD, answers are plentiful, and you will be pointed in a helpful direction if an answer is not available!

Also, I have learned it is a common experience to not have much space to build. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so space is at a premium for me, but I make it work.

When you are ready to begin your build, I recommend starting a build thread so others can follow along and answer questions or point you in a helpful direction!

Hi Adam. Welcome to FISD. I too was scared and overwhelmed when I started my journey a year and a half ago. The information given above I’d-s exactly what you need to get started. Looking forward to seeing your build thread. Remember, ask lots of questions, we are here to help you succeed