MRCE Mod Opinions

sci_fi71

I am getting ready to start modding my MRCE and i need some opinions. my thought was to make an ABS filler to fix the gap at the mouth. anyone have any thoughts about using acetone to make an ABS paste filler. do you think it would be worthwhile? a waste of time? i think i may just try a test on the inside of the lid to see how well it works but if anyone has any experience with this i'd love to hear about it.

thanks,

dj

I have only heard of the clone armourers doing that - in their seamless looks

should be ok I think. But I would do wot u hav e- ie test on a small place thats not visable.

but there are easier options - bondo, milliput, silicone have all been used

Nate

I have only heard of the clone armourers doing that - in their seamless looks

should be ok I think. But I would do wot u hav e- ie test on a small place thats not visable.

but there are easier options - bondo, milliput, silicone have all been used

Nate

well, my thought was to see if i could match the plastics look. fill, sand smooth, then buff to see if i could forgo the painting since i like the shiney plastic look. :)

I wouldnt recommend acetone as its a paint thinner though its not being applied on top of the paint, it just doesnt seem like a good idea at all...

I too wouldnt do so if a "no-repaint" is desired. I just received my MRCE this morning, going to try a simple white silicon to mask the front and back seem.

Aside from that new lenses and a few ear cap screws..hope its up to snuff...

Cheers, Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

I used the caulk gun technique since I didn't want to repaint mine. It's not as easy as it sounds, and i got a little too much build up in some places. When I wiped it away with the paper towel like people told me to, it smeared along the edge of the groove too... which made the surrounding area non-shiney. Also, as time went by, when the helmet got dirty, the dirt would stick to the caulk that was smeared in the surrounding area making it very noticible (by me, not in pictures).

However, now it looks great.. and it's only because I was using my abs polish to maintain my shiney look on my armor, and I realized that the abs polish took off all the caulk around the groove, and not the stuf in the groove itself. This left it looking neat and clean, and making it seem like I magically only got caulk in the very tiny crack along the frown.

Definately try this technique out! It's cheap, and it makes it look great in pictures :).

I'm going the 'no paint' route in my MRCE mod.

Be aware though that there's already paint on the helmet and if you sand the surface, chances are you'll go through it to the off-white styrene underneath. I'm going to finish mine with plumbers white silicone for the frown join and see just how far you can go without a re-paint. Any spilled over-run silicone should come off with t-cut or similar polish, or wet & dry fine grain sandpaper.

my 2 credits DJ... get it dirty with bondo, and repaint the bucket. There are a lot of mods you can do on a CE to get it looking really nice, so I think it's best to really get into it.

i see your point but i have 2 problems with that way....

1- i am impatient and like instant gratification. :rolleyes:

2- i do not have the required skill-sets :huh:

1- i am impatient and like instant gratification. :rolleyes:

2- i do not have the required skill-sets :huh:

I'm so sure that's not true, and I don't even know you. :)

#1 might be true... #2 is only true until you DO the project (repaint) and then it's no longer true.

Repainting has the added benefit of giving your bucket a harder paint shell as well.

The paint that comes on the bucket will chip and flake off very easily! One little knock against a wall, blaster, or anything else hard and you'll get a nice little yellow area where it chipped off. A chip off the ol' bucket if you will.

Just my thoughts... I think they end up looking nicer too.

Oh, and I didn't have the skill set when I did mine either... had to repaint it like 3 times.

But by #3 I got it... and now I'll be able to paint my TE2 if I ever get some. :)

Noel is right. No one has the skills until they do it.... I'm here to help ya too DJ. You are not too far away from me :) It's really not too difficult, but it does take time. So if number 1 is the main factor, then well.... ya know.

But with time, you will find yourself with a nice result.

Noel is right. No one has the skills until they do it.... I'm here to help ya too DJ. You are not too far away from me :) It's really not too difficult, but it does take time. So if number 1 is the main factor, then well.... ya know.

But with time, you will find yourself with a nice result.

I started out going for the caulk/silicon seal method but it just ended up messy. Even thought the gap was filled I just couldn't live with the mold lines on the front of helmet, just didn't look right.

Trust me dude, I agonised for a week over sanding mt brand new lid as I'd never resprayed anything this size, but if you take your time the end result can be awesome. By the time I'd finished I was chuffed to bits!

BTW, if you're removing the tube stripes do this BEFORE you fill the gap! I didn't and the silicon/caulk went a fetching shade of light blue! :rolleyes::D

... By the time I'd finished I was chuffed to bits!

Copy THAT!

It will get a LOT worse before it gets better.

There were many, many times that I had that sinking "oh cr@p... I've mucked this up for good..."

Just keep trusting... it WILL get better. B)

also, on the inside glue the lower part of the face to the top part of the face. that way your seam wont end up cracking.

i used plastic welder to fill the one i did for a squad mate. throw that 'no repaint' idea out the window too while your at it! :P

I'm right there with you about the skills. But, I decided to go all in for my MRCE. It's really been pushing my skills to the limit and then some, but I'm having a ton of fun doing it. I'm almost ready for the painting. Sadly, it's hard to paint in the winter here when it's windy and wet.

It can be hard and it will possibly push your limits, but just think of it as a learning experience. Enjoy yourself and have fun with it! :)