AstrumVolucris - TK ANH Stunt Build by WTF

AstrumVolucris

Hello There! 

I recently acquired a secondhand set of armor and helmet which were made by Walt's Trooper Factory. The armor is basically new and has a lot of fittings already installed so I need to work on modifying them to fit me. At this point, I am going for Basic level approval. 

So far there are a few things I have questions/concerns about. Here is are some pictures of the full set with specific pics and questions below that

LeIQcU0.jpg

4H8L2Np.jpg

Fsh1I7B.jpg

SpHRPqr.jpg

Right now, my biggest concern is the ab and kidney plate fitting. As you can see below, there is a gap in between the plates. I am not sure what to do to fix this other than loose some weight lol From what I can recall reading ,  some people say that a gap is not acceptable at all for basic approval while others say it is not ideal,  but IS approvable for Basic Level. 

gwJSBnU.jpg

pEUjCyk.jpg

My next concern is the back cannister. The plate is set on top when is should be facing back. Should I try to remove it , trim it an re-glue it, or what are your recommendations? 

v1i0R7J.jpg

9J5yo9E.jpg

f4RlrQ3.jpg

Last on my list ( for now ) of concerns is the strapping on the thigh pieces. The straps on there right now go up and over the shoulders. I haven't yet seen this method yet and most people seem to utilize the method of looping straps over a belt. Is there any reason why I should not use these over the should straps method?

PAUKAWT.jpg

Thank you all for your time and help! 

Hello and welcome, these may help, it's not too much of a gap and some GML's will allow a larger gap than others for basic approval you could reach out to them as they will be the ones looking after your approval

Here are a few threads on filling that gap

L2 and above

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wid

v1i0R7J.jpg

You would need to adjust the clips as they are hitting the control panel so you won't be able to trim that. Note the angle of the plate/detonator to belt

azZiJX4.jpg?1  QKiTB7a.jpg?1

Notes:  The top of the TD should should sit level (or slightly) higher than the top of the canvas belt. 

66W22Oe.jpg?1   ENBGgGW.jpg?1  eXtIssr.jpg?2   

I use a belt around me which also has shoulder straps, there is no real correct way, just a belt is fine if you feel the shoulder straps aren't working

I have back issues so I use a compression belt for my harness

v19Lg5w.jpg

Originals use a belt and thick straps

z75hUfR.jpg

i49ThVN.jpg

wmp7C0A.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hello and welcome, these may help, it's not too much of a gap and some GML's will allow a larger gap than others for basic approval you could reach out to them as they will be the ones looking after your approval

Here are a few threads on filling that gap

L2 and above

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wid

v1i0R7J.jpg

You would need to adjust the clips as they are hitting the control panel so you won't be able to trim that. Note the angle of the plate/detonator to belt

azZiJX4.jpg?1  QKiTB7a.jpg?1

Notes:  The top of the TD should should sit level (or slightly) higher than the top of the canvas belt. 

66W22Oe.jpg?1   ENBGgGW.jpg?1  eXtIssr.jpg?2   

I use a belt around me which also has shoulder straps, there is no real correct way, just a belt is fine if you feel the shoulder straps aren't working

I have back issues so I use a compression belt for my harness

v19Lg5w.jpg

Originals use a belt and thick straps

z75hUfR.jpg

i49ThVN.jpg

wmp7C0A.jpg

This is great, thank you !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstrumVolucris said:

Hello There! 

I recently acquired a secondhand set of armor and helmet which were made by Walt's Trooper Factory. The armor is basically new and has a lot of fittings already installed so I need to work on modifying them to fit me. At this point, I am going for Basic level approval. 

So far there are a few things I have questions/concerns about. Here is are some pictures of the full set with specific pics and questions below that

LeIQcU0.jpg

4H8L2Np.jpg

Fsh1I7B.jpg

SpHRPqr.jpg

Right now, my biggest concern is the ab and kidney plate fitting. As you can see below, there is a gap in between the plates. I am not sure what to do to fix this other than loose some weight lol From what I can recall reading ,  some people say that a gap is not acceptable at all for basic approval while others say it is not ideal,  but IS approvable for Basic Level. 

gwJSBnU.jpg

pEUjCyk.jpg

My next concern is the back cannister. The plate is set on top when is should be facing back. Should I try to remove it , trim it an re-glue it, or what are your recommendations? 

v1i0R7J.jpg

9J5yo9E.jpg

f4RlrQ3.jpg

Last on my list ( for now ) of concerns is the strapping on the thigh pieces. The straps on there right now go up and over the shoulders. I haven't yet seen this method yet and most people seem to utilize the method of looping straps over a belt. Is there any reason why I should not use these over the should straps method?

PAUKAWT.jpg

Thank you all for your time and help! 

If it is any consequence I'm going to ultimately be using an over the shoulder harness for the thighs too instead of a belt.

Bart

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bartman said:

If it is any consequence I'm going to ultimately be using an over the shoulder harness for the thighs too instead of a belt.

Bart

Yeah , I have no real experience with either, obviously, but just from trying them on for initial fitting, I really like how solid and supported the thighs feel front to back. I will probably keep this style for now. 

I started with a belt, which I found did not stay up because my belly is bigger than my waist.  And if it sat on my hips, it could be seen under the ab armour openings. So I added suspenders to the belt to hold it up and it worked well.

For the thermal detonator, you can literally unroll the metal to get the plate at a more correct angle.  Put it on the belt (or something flat) and roll the TD downwards. I'm betting that it isn't centered in the belt currently anyway and would have some room for the metal clips to unroll a bit.

Of course, you may end up with some visible metal above the TD body.  If there's enough metal to permit it, just keep unrolling till the plate angle is correct. Then flatten the metal tabs with a hammer and re-bend it. It's usually aluminum and aluminum usually allows you to do this.

1 minute ago, revlimiter said:

For the thermal detonator, you can literally unroll the metal to get the plate at a more correct angle.  Put it on the belt (or something flat) and roll the TD downwards. I'm betting that it isn't centered in the belt currently anyway and would have some room for the metal clips to unroll a bit.

Of course, you may end up with some visible metal above the TD body.  If there's enough metal to permit it, just keep unrolling till the plate angle is correct. Then flatten the metal tabs with a hammer and re-bend it. It's usually aluminum and aluminum usually allows you to do this.

You're absolutely right. What are the guidelines on how much visable aluminum is allowed above the TD?

er... some? heh.

Ideally you wouldn't have much visible aluminum above the TD. The TD and belt should be about the same width, and the TD should be centered on the belt, so you should just barely see the metal in an ideal world.  But your belt may be thicker or thinner and you may have some visible aluminum when dressed properly.

You don't want a big obvious tab above the TD, but you don't want it to be hovering above the belt in a non-centered manner either (no metal showing in other words).

Reference pix borrowed from @gmrhodes13

iOYNSGQ.jpg?3

VeXjroO.jpg

czoLYmX.jpg

37 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

er... some? heh.

Ideally you wouldn't have much visible aluminum above the TD. The TD and belt should be about the same width, and the TD should be centered on the belt, so you should just barely see the metal in an ideal world.  But your belt may be thicker or thinner and you may have some visible aluminum when dressed properly.

You don't want a big obvious tab above the TD, but you don't want it to be hovering above the belt in a non-centered manner either (no metal showing in other words).

Reference pix borrowed from @gmrhodes13

iOYNSGQ.jpg?3

VeXjroO.jpg

czoLYmX.jpg

Understood. Thank you

If you want more photos of thermal detonators on-screen I have you covered. :laugh1:

50556227227_fc27fd07c9_o.png

50556091596_c33eed19e9_o.png

The TD part of my build thread (link) has additional close-ups of the shots shown above. Hope this helps! One other quick observation; the shoulder bridges in your very first photo appear to extend a long ways off of the chest piece, which makes me wonder how much overlap there is on the chest piece (adhesion security) and if there will be a lot of excess on the backside. Good luck with your build!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

So many TDs.

Adam I still have a TD with your name on it for once I finish my TD master thread. After approval. Also I have a meme already created and ready to go for my TD obsession.

• Like 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb MaskedVengeance:

If you want more photos of thermal detonators on-screen I have you covered. :laugh1:

The TD part of my build thread (link) has additional close-ups of the shots shown above. Hope this helps! One other quick observation; the shoulder bridges in your very first photo appear to extend a long ways off of the chest piece, which makes me wonder how much overlap there is on the chest piece (adhesion security) and if there will be a lot of excess on the backside. Good luck with your build!

HRjJcgW.jpeg

Caleb, this is beautiful

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Haha this is brilliant. Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

I took some pics of my first test fitting last night. I can already see that I need to fix the crooked belt , bring the forearm pieces down and bring the chest plate down. I may need to bring the thighs down too. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time and feedback. 

j9YjBPg.jpg

vs1KuKr.jpg

GDZA99y.jpg

oBam3VR.jpg

dBRWGji.jpg

p9Gm9gf.jpg

Yeah definitely straighten and bring the belt up. The top of the plastic part of the belt should just barely touch the bottom of the lowest blue center ab button. I think you may be able to raise your biceps up a bit to have a little more overlap with the shoulder bells. That will then impact forearm placement.

Your chest piece actually appears to have an appropriate amount of overlap with the ab piece, but you do appear to be a little shorter in stature (any chance you’d share your height?), so extra overlap could help overall fitment. Do you already have your chest-to-ab strapping in place? If so, it could be tightened as the chest appears to pulling up and away from the ab.

There’s also some overlap in your back and kidney piece, and as you already mentioned, there is armor bunching around your cod/posterior and thigh pieces. So certainly some adjustment may be necessary.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Yeah definitely straighten and bring the belt up. The top of the plastic part of the belt should just barely touch the bottom of the lowest blue center ab button. I think you may be able to raise your biceps up a bit to have a little more overlap with the shoulder bells. That will then impact forearm placement.

Your chest piece actually appears to have an appropriate amount of overlap with the ab piece, but you do appear to be a little shorter in stature (any chance you’d share your height?), so extra overlap could help overall fitment. Do you already have your chest-to-ab strapping in place? If so, it could be tightened as the chest appears to pulling up and away from the ab.

There’s also some overlap in your back and kidney piece, and as you already mentioned, there is armor bunching around your cod/posterior and thigh pieces. So certainly some adjustment may be necessary.

haha yeah I am 5'7"