New Member in FXBG, VA

Chef

Hello all.
I am super excited to be here. I have been wanting to join the 501st for years and am now in a position I feel I can dedicate the time. Here is a bit about me:

Full Name: Brad E

Nick name: Brad or Chef (that is my callsign)

Physical Location (City and State only): Fredericksburg, VA

Costume you have or will be making/obtaining: I want to make a TK Stormtrooper first, then possibly an Imperial Officer.

Garrison or Outpost, Garrison or Outpost name: Garrison Tyranus

What does Star Wars mean to you? I have grown up with Star Wars and it has always been a part of my life. My parents took me to see Return of the Jedi in the theaters (albeit I was 4 and don't remember it). I have always loved the movies, the special effects, and the story. I don't think there is a better cast of characters and portrayal of the good vs evil saga. Now that I have a kiddo of my own, I love sharing the movies and characters with her, and it is so fun to hear her talk about favorite movies, shows, and characters.

What are your hobbies or interests? I love to paint, cook, and bike.

How did you discover/first hear of the 501st? I don't remember, but it was a while ago.

Anything else fun for your introduction to the group?

Looking forward to getting started and involved.

Edited by RebelScum
  • Like 3

Welcome to FISD Brad

Looks like you have had an interesting life, and it's about to get a whole lot better again! :)

This is a wonderful, fun hobby and I am positive you will fit right in here.

Hello and welcome aboard, a great thread full of helpful info to get you on your way 

Hello and welcome Chef!

Have you looked into where you will buy your armor from yet?

Cool to learn about your history with the Tie Fighter, err.. Prowler! Sure you don't you need a Tie pilot as well? :rolleyes:

Welcome Brad, and thank you (and your family) for your service and sacrifice. Were you on carriers, then, or land-based? We look forward to following along with you on your journey! For the Empire!

18 hours ago, Nairy said:

Have you looked into where you will buy your armor from yet?

I am looking to Dave's Darkside Depot. Seems to get really good recommendations.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

I am leaning toward an ANH Hero TK first and going for Centurion right away, as may posts say it is better to start there rather than trying to make modifications later.

10 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Welcome Brad, and thank you (and your family) for your service and sacrifice. Were you on carriers, then, or land-based? We look forward to following along with you on your journey! For the Empire!

I was land-based. All the USMC Prowlers were during my time. Although was able to get some launches and landings while riding in the backseat on the USS George Washington during flight school.

46 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

I am looking to Dave's Darkside Depot. Seems to get really good recommendations.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

I am leaning toward an ANH Hero TK first and going for Centurion right away, as may posts say it is better to start there rather than trying to make modifications later.

Just note not sure about your sizing but Dave's Darkside Depot (AM) suit the larger trooper

I can't remember if Dave's Darkside Depot makes a Hero helmet so you may want to check as there are differences in amount of teeth, ear bumps and screws

A PDF on the differences between Stunt and Hero https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

Also the CRL's (costume reference library) 

Stunt https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

Hero https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero

8 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Just note not sure about your sizing but Dave's Darkside Depot (AM) suit the larger trooper

Thanks for the tip. I would not consider myself "larger." I am 5'9" and 185#.

Any suggestions on where I should look?

I guess hero vs stunt is not that big of a deal to me. I would rather find someone who makes a great product and I wont have to wait too long.

You have a lot to choose from check out the thread below

Also check out some of the EIB threads as most will have info on weight and height, will give you a better idea of what will suit you

On 10/1/2022 at 3:52 AM, RebelScum said:

Thanks for the tip. I would not consider myself "larger." I am 5'9" and 185#.

Any suggestions on where I should look?

I guess hero vs stunt is not that big of a deal to me. I would rather find someone who makes a great product and I wont have to wait too long.

Hello Brad! Amazing that you finally feel that you have the time to spend on this wonderfully niched and oh so aweosme hobby! :jc_doublethumbup: I remember the feeling myself, when it was finally time to take the step towards realizing the dream of becoming a TK!

How's everything going in your hunt for a TK?

From my own personal experience, I got a commission from RS Prop Masters and if you want to build the kit yourself, I would consider them value for money! (+ you wouldn't have to wait as long) Their customer service is great and I even got sent some extra pieces of ABS plastic free of charge so that I could make ABS paste and so on!

The time on recieving a pre built kit is about 12 weeks at the moment (that is how long I had to wait for at least) and I got my suit in the beginning of August 2022.

You are certainly a good size for their armor, and if it is screen accuracy you want it is a very good kit since it is casted off of one of the owners' own screen used ANH suit! Is it an ANH suit that you want to get first?

Edited by Nairy