SublimeBW's Armor Master's (AM) ANH Stunt Kit - Build Thread

SublimeBW

On 1/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, SublimeBW said:
  • When trimming the length, is it easiest to use a compass to make sure sure you keep the correct contour all the way around? It's what I used.
  • Is there a limit of how much can be taken off? You don't want your thighs to be to high at the knee. best to take off a little at a time and post pictures. These guys can give you valuable input.
  • Is there a desired end point that can easily be referenced or is it simply what is comfortable?C74kymF.jpg You'll see that once you rotate your center cover strips (red lines) to the center of your legs, you want to trim more off of the sides near the cod ( Blue lines ). I somewhat followed the curve of the cod as well. Armor bite here hurts for sure!
  • We noticed that one leg of the armor was actually longer than the other, is this normal (I am assuming this is OK, but never hurts to ask)? That shouldn't matter to much since AM armor is sized for us big guys. It looks like your thighs are a little low at the knee so I wouldn't worry to much about that cause you likely be trimming the top anyway which will bring the bottom up.

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SublimeBW said:

Awesome feedback guys and glad to know I was (mostly) on the right track.  I will see about getting the first pass of trimming done today.

Hi Brian

Take a read to this thread . 

I pulled a slight audible on my order of operations and adhered in front interior cover strip first to give more stability to my form. With that in place, I went ahead and made a few cuts to the height and an extra pass around the groin. Much more comfortable now. Any areas of concern before I toss on the other cover strips?

tiry4Gp.jpg

FgesYsp.jpg

Dc9OvUR.jpg

spIXBR1.jpg

H2jzY4o.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

I think I backfilled the gaps pretty well and should be ready for that ammo pack and shoulder bell tomorrow! After that, it is measuring the waist to order my belt! Getting closer.

aGAQBF6.jpg

f2GmkLf.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

We attached the ammo belt on today and think we did OK. Unsure if we have the positioning right but the picture lines up with what we saw on the CRL image.

Z1mUIaS.jpg

HSEEM1l.jpg

KEjN5kO.jpg

hSUyFJ7.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW

I think you got it just right.

Something to bear in mind is the rear mounting will vary based on how much material you trim from the halves of the thigh based on getting the right fit for an individual.

Slimmer legs mean the mount is a little further back on the rear, large, and it may not get as close as this reference image.

You do have the centre block aligned nicely with the cover strip as per the bottom reference image.

1wiNvGu.pngLigrz9h.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, Sly11; glad to know we got it right.

A simple bit of progress tonight.

First, let's start with the infamous Han Snap. Searching around, I saw that 10mm in and 20mm down was the most recommended placement so that is what I went with.

HLVp01D.jpg

I painted up the abdomen buttons. I have a bit to clean up (round it off, clean up some spillover) and am a bit ashamed I didn't do better on the first pass given the amount of miniatures I have painted.

QpsqYNh.jpg

aVcREeN.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

I nuked the paint on all the buttons I thought were in rough shape and busted out the Cricut for some 11mm templates. Worked like a charm.

IoWIthy.jpg

5HOj2TQ.jpg

Now to finish up rigging (have ~75% of it in place) and figure out if there is anything else that can easily be done between now and next build day (which will either be holster & belt stuff or finishing up the helmet from its partial state when I first started building ages ago).

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We returned to work on the helmet today but wanted to be SUPER cautious given that this is where I was originally thrown off track and threw myself into a fear of progress (see posts from 2 years ago in this thread). I was a nervous wreck but eventually gained some confidence. We trimmed back one side and believe we have the ear in a good alignment in relation to the rear traps (we have been attempting to build with level 3 in mind) but wanted to double check positioning before we move forward on working on the second side (I already have enough holes to patch due to my mess ups 2 years back).

7J74Xgt.jpg

IwUgyER.jpg

UQSdhgB.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

Ear is a little thick at the top.

UQSdhgB.jpg

Some great ear trimming threads:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Ear is a little thick at the top.

UQSdhgB.jpg

Some great ear trimming threads:

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give them a read.

Overall positioning (with relation to the trap alignment), do you think we are looking good?

Edited by SublimeBW

11 minutes ago, SublimeBW said:

Overall positioning (with relation to the trap alignment), do you think we are looking good?

Looks good to me.

DO's references

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Finally got back to working on the ears after life got in the way (death in the family, expected, but still sad, then both households getting sick). I THINK we are in good shape though. I would have liked to have zero gap, but am happy with the bit of gap that is present. Assuming we are good, I will start working on patching the old holes this week and then move on to painting.

A question regarding the opening/bottom. How much is trimmed away for the S seal?

Right side

52BHrQU.jpg

Right side front view

N9v9NVU.jpg

Right side rear view

mit1t1d.jpg

Left side

hK2Yrg2.jpg

Left side front view

V6l9LLD.jpg

Left side rear view

cq6FqZF.jpg

Frontal view

afQ4s5i.jpg

Bottom

Le46pr2.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SublimeBW said:

Finally got back to working on the ears after life got in the way (death in the family, expected, but still sad, then both households getting sick). I THINK we are in good shape though. I would have liked to have zero gap, but am happy with the bit of gap that is present. Assuming we are good, I will start working on patching the old holes this week and then move on to painting.

A question regarding the opening/bottom. How much is trimmed away for the S seal?

Right side

52BHrQU.jpg

Right side front view

N9v9NVU.jpg

Right side rear view

mit1t1d.jpg

Left side

hK2Yrg2.jpg

Left side front view

V6l9LLD.jpg

Left side rear view

cq6FqZF.jpg

Frontal view

afQ4s5i.jpg

Bottom

Le46pr2.jpg

This is all I trimmed. Hopefully, your head isn't as big as mine. I still have to do the Storm Trooper twist when I put my bucket on. Your ears look great btw. There were gaps in the original buckets. I wouldn't trim them anymore. Ihad problems with mine and had to get a new set.CAH7aw8.jpg

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dblcross said:

This is all I trimmed. Hopefully, your head isn't as big as mine. I still have to do the Storm Trooper twist when I put my bucket on. Your ears look great btw. There were gaps in the original buckets. I wouldn't trim them anymore. Ihad problems with mine and had to get a new set.

Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to know I have them in good shape. I figured with the gaps in the original, it would be NICE to have them as flat as possible but not necessary. I was telling my build partner that maybe I will order another set and work on getting "perfect" ears at a later point.

Also, thanks for the confirmation as to what to cut from the opening. I was thinking that was the area that needed to be cut but I am going at this cautiously given that we are so close to the finish line (I have this and then the belt and then am done (excluding the blaster, which is on its way)).

21 minutes ago, SublimeBW said:

Bottom

Le46pr2.jpg

Really depends on the size of your head, we all have to do the twist and drop method when putting the helmet on. I like having more return edge than less, people can't see as much under the helmet, especially younglings.

I normally trim so it's curved on the sides so no sharp areas,/corners. Loosely add your S trim and see if your noggin (head) will still go in, if not trim a little more.

Ear gap references

DaveMANH02.jpg.acf465389aa519f3e8b3cf4cd70a429c.jpg

DaveMANH08.jpg.298d68b6ec1484efff46af83f67fa01a.jpg

DaveMANH06.jpg.c05146d5fd8c0dcc604e25aeb1c946ec.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Really depends on the size of your head, we all have to do the twist and drop method when putting the helmet on. I like having more return edge than less, people can't see as much under the helmet, especially younglings.

I normally trim so it's curved on the sides so no sharp areas,/corners. Loosely add your S trim and see if your noggin (head) will still go in, if not trim a little more.

I like the trim and try idea. I will give that a go tomorrow.

Also, thank you for all the feedback you have given thus far. Really helps as a confidence reassurance!

Edited by SublimeBW
  • Like 2

Can we call this SBB day? My blaster arrived from @Troopacoola (there was also a stand, but have that set aside). I am looking forward to digging into this build once we wrap up the armor.

My agenda today/tomorrow is to paint the ear bumps and v-coder (if anyone has tips on getting a clean v-coder, let me know) as well as start my patch jobs on the extra holes in the helmet.

Uuy9cwk.jpg

• Like 1