Does this Stormtrooper Suit make me look fat...

TK-5988

Here's a test run of fitting most of my armor:

wf9nOTz.jpg

iox6E6m.jpg

I think the ab/butt piece needs to be moved down a bit, which in turn I will need to shorten the thigh webbing. I think the thighs need to be trimmed a bit more as well.

I have webbing between the ab crotch and butt part, but how close are they supposed to be to your naughty bits down there?

Obviously the parts missing are:

1. Shoulder bells (with the webbing I still need to make, will also hold up the biceps better)

2. Belt + it's accessories

3. Helmet (I have this, but needed it off to help my picture taker to operate my camera

4. Ab buttons (waiting on VaderDaves to come in the mail)

5. Knee parts

6. Neck Seal (In the process of sewing one)

How do I make the ab/cod piece a bit thinner to tuck around me? I think what I have concluded is:

1. Add elastic to the chest/back piece sides.

2. Have the belt on, as this should tuck some of the sides in

3. Possibly trim the ab piece a bit thinner on the sides?

What would you recommend?

Yeah, your kidney and butt plate are way too high. I would drop it down until the tops are even. You may have to trim the top of the ab and kidney plate to better fit you. When you wrap your belt around the bottom of the belt should be even with the top of the butt plate seam.

you need to have the butt plate on your butt! ;)

what i did was cut my ab plate and stretch it by about 1 1/2" (this gap will be covered by your belt). the FX ab plate it too short and you end up with a 3" long cod piece and then the belt sits on you hips. not good for mobility. the TOP of the belt should sit right under the ab button box and the BOTTOM of the belt should rest righ above the cut line for the back/butt plate. this is where you might find you need to stretch the AB so the belt is high-waisted like the origianls as opposed to wrapping around you hips

You look like a small guy to be wearing fx armour, its almost drowning you there!!

But with a bit of work you can make it work. Some pointers for you;

Start with the ab plate and butt and kidney plates. Get the ab plate low as you can with out it hanging around your knees. Lower the butt plate alot, until it really covers your butt. I would trim some off the top of the kidney part so the upper back plate does not cover so much.

Then try to get the chest and upper back plate as high as you can so that it is comfi and not cutting into your neck. Seriously think about trimming the bottom of the chest plate to show more details and the ab buttons.

The legs look good to go, there are in the right place and if anything maybe bring the thighs in a little so they dont look so much like board shorts, but they look good as they are.

The arms may need trimming in length, and either pad the biceps with foam or i would trim them to slim them down a bit. Can you put on your lid on in armour? If not trim some off the forearm so you can. No more though.

And i know you dont have the shoulder bells on there but if your using the fx ones i would expect you may need to trim about an inch off the bottom so they dont cover all your bicep armour.

Do all that and report back for duty ;)

I've finished the shoulder bells, trimmed the thighs and lowered the ab/butt piece. I'll be finishing the belt tomorrow, and get some pictures posted. All in all it's turning out a lot better, thanks everyone for the tips. I'll keep everyone updated.

Everything I wanted to say Mark beat me to it. Take heart bro - it's the rare person who can just put a suit on out of the box w/o at least some trim/shimming to do.

I figured a fair amount of work needed to be done to get everything completed. I'm feel pretty proud putting it all together mostly myself, and am happy the way its going. This is my first attempt at doing something of this nature, and I haven't screwed it up yet, so its going well.

Here are a few more pictures:

ThboVHs.jpg

vzKRIlY.jpg

90SIYuy.jpg

Changes Made:

Thighs trimmed

Shoulder bells completed

Neck trim done

Ab/Butt piece lowered

Belt 50% complete

Changes Needed:

Shorten ab to thigh webbing.

Add knee parts

Complete belt

Add ab buttons

Finish o2 canister

I also realize some of the poses make the shoulder bells look off, though I don't believe they are. Also I think the position of the butt piece is too low, and the ab piece might be too high.

How's everything looking otherwise?

TK-NA8C said:

Here are a few more pictures:

Changes Made:

Thighs trimmed

Shoulder bells completed

Neck trim done

Ab/Butt piece lowered

Belt 50% complete

Changes Needed:

Shorten ab to thigh webbing.

Add knee parts

Complete belt

Add ab buttons

Finish o2 canister

I also realize some of the poses make the shoulder bells look off, though I don't believe they are. How's everything looking?

That's really starting to look good!

My opinion is that you might want to shorten the thighs a bit, they seem a bit "tall" for you. You can do this by taking maybe an inch off at the top (just take little by little). And the shoulder bells can still be made a little smaller, and if you feel they stand out, you can use a heatgun to fix that part. I did a lot of work on my FX-bells to make them look better.

If you separate the kidney and butt, it's easier to shorten each individual part to fit you better as well, just a tip.

Great work so far!!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say anything, but I'd hide the parts of the neckseal that is showing by your shoulders. Maybe just tuck it inside your suit or something? I notice it's popping out on top of your back plate too.

You look so much better now! :)

All comments are appreciated and welcome!

Definitely measure twice, cut once. Most of what I have modified is fixable. Right now the suit is all done in velcro, I haven't plastic welded anything besides the buttons for the webbing.

I believe I will wear the leather part underneath my jumpsuit next time so it doesn't jump out like that again.

Since nothing is glued down yet I'd recommend the following.

Move your shoulder straps forward so more of them are on the chest plate.

Move the shoulder bells to where they almost touch the shoulder staps (your thin enough to do it).

Trim a little maybe 3/4 inch off the bottom of the shoulder bells.

Taper the thighs so they are more form fitting at the bottom. You do this by cutting out a wedge from the back and taking more from the bottom and very little if any from the top.

Hope that helps, and take the mods one at a time and take your time. Getting armor to fit properly is alot of tweaking and retweaking, but in the end it'll be more than worth it.

Just a quick question. How tall are you? I'm just wondering. It's always nice to see someone with a new build and how their size/height compares to different types of armor out there.