Hello 501st pleased to be here

Zinfer

A brand Newby from Lima, Ohio.  Pleased to be here.  I signed up and am joining the Ohio Garrison.  I mainly want to be a StormTrooper, but I also love the Tie Pilot.  So I gotta put a costume together.  At any rate I have done alot scatterbrain hobbies.  Way too many.  From 80s arcade collecting to Drones, Electronics Repair, Astronomy, VR and Flat screen gaming and probably more that I'm just not thinking of.  My latest is Cosplay.  I've done Star Lord and attempted Kadaj, but trying to pull off a teenage Kadaj requires alot of bishonen.  :D  Trying to pull off a teenager at double the age is just Hard, so I didn't want to disgrace the character.  As a former US Marine I think I'll fit right in with a Trooper,  Tie Pilot just looks cool and probably a lot more affordable entry into the 501st as a Reserve at first.  Anyways I think what you all do is really first rate.  I been watching Jake up in Alaska on Youtube for a bit and boy they know how to have alot of fun and some very nice people.  So I am very intrigued and eager to check this whole scene out.  Thanks for having me be a part of it.

• Like 4

Hello and welcome aboard, here is a great read to help you on the way 

Good luck with the journey, it can be a very rewarding one.

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Rod!

This forum can be overwhelming with the sheer volume of information and posts so remember to ask plenty of questions and our members will always set you in the right direction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zinfer said:

A brand Newby from Lima, Ohio.  Pleased to be here.  I signed up and am joining the Ohio Garrison.  I mainly want to be a StormTrooper, but I also love the Tie Pilot.  So I gotta put a costume together.  At any rate I have done alot scatterbrain hobbies.  Way too many.  From 80s arcade collecting to Drones, Electronics Repair, Astronomy, VR and Flat screen gaming and probably more that I'm just not thinking of.  My latest is Cosplay.  I've done Star Lord and attempted Kadaj, but trying to pull off a teenage Kadaj requires alot of bishonen.  :D  Trying to pull off a teenager at double the age is just Hard, so I didn't want to disgrace the character.  As a former US Marine I think I'll fit right in with a Trooper,  Tie Pilot just looks cool and probably a lot more affordable entry into the 501st as a Reserve at first.  Anyways I think what you all do is really first rate.  I been watching Jake up in Alaska on Youtube for a bit and boy they know how to have alot of fun and some very nice people.  So I am very intrigued and eager to check this whole scene out.  Thanks for having me be a part of it.

Welcome aboard.  My suggestion is build what makes you happy, even if you have to wait a bit.  Go with what you want to do and have fun with the process.    Enjoy the whole process and build something you are proud of.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  Well I pulled the trigger already.  Did alot of research with whom I could find.  I went with RS Propmasters TK.  I'm in trouble now, I've never in my life built or tried to build anything like this.  Feeling a little intimidated but I have all winter + Covid to build this.  Right now I need to find the right glues and cure sprays and magnets here in the States.  Oh and probably an undersuit, neckseal.  Tried looking for a balaclava on Ebay but really not looking for something warm and hot for winter riding...  :D  I need so much more stuff now. Not even looking for boots.  Gonna be a long, grueling build for me.  Oh BTW, the painting looks really hard.  Would you suggest that or go find some decals?  I should probably handpaint to stick to the ANH theme.  Gonna be working with PVC rather than ABS.  So yea - I'll have alot of questions :)

• Like 1

Hey Rodney, what a great news!!  :jc_doublethumbup:  looking forward for your BBB day photos.  All us of felt exactly  as you now one day , intimidated and nervous, but don't worry we are here to help step by step.

Meanwhile you can browse the Building threads section to be familiar with the process, also you can watch some YouTube videos , I think RS prop master has some tutorial for building and I can recommend to look for RWA creations videos.

Good luck :salute:

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

Thanks guys.  Well I pulled the trigger already.  Did alot of research with whom I could find.  I went with RS Propmasters TK.  I'm in trouble now, I've never in my life built or tried to build anything like this.  Feeling a little intimidated but I have all winter + Covid to build this.  Right now I need to find the right glues and cure sprays and magnets here in the States.  Oh and probably an undersuit, neckseal.  Tried looking for a balaclava on Ebay but really not looking for something warm and hot for winter riding...  :D  I need so much more stuff now. Not even looking for boots.  Gonna be a long, grueling build for me.  Oh BTW, the painting looks really hard.  Would you suggest that or go find some decals?  I should probably handpaint to stick to the ANH theme.  Gonna be working with PVC rather than ABS.  So yea - I'll have alot of questions :)

Thats awesome!

Albeit I do not have my armor yet, the reviews and recommendations from others for RSP is overwhelmingly positive.  Are you doing the "build your own" or did you order the fully commissioned? The reason why I am asking is, the Neckseal, and undersuit from RSP were designed to go with the complete set when they put it all together.  They do sell the soft parts separately as well... including boots.  

If you got the build your own, you shouldnt need to paint much.  Also there are build threads like the one @TKSpartan linked, in which some have the "how to make your own ABS glue" to other things like "best places to buy the decal stickers" instead of painting.

Looking forward to seeing your build thread too!

• Like 1

You really can't go wrong with either build.
Both will probably cost about the same; Just do what makes you most happy. That is the ultimate goal when cosplaying.

Good Luck on your research and on your build.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome aboard everyone.   So yea I got a slow start to the costume.  Still have yet to pickup some lexan scissors.  Inquiry sent to Darman on his neck seal.  I sure hope I don't screw up this costume.  My first time. 

1 minute ago, Zinfer said:

Thanks for the welcome aboard everyone.   So yea I got a slow start to the costume.  Still have yet to pickup some lexan scissors.  Inquiry sent to Darman on his neck seal.  I sure hope I don't screw up this costume.  My first time. 

Research is the key, if you don't know ask, many are on the forums ready to lend assistance, also check the gallery sections, full of screen references