Phat Rob

My first ANH TK Build-Assistance Welcome! (ATA)

Thanks Mario for the awesome reference! Arm work this time around consisted of sanding the tops and bottoms of all bicep pieces. I've kept the butted ends unsanded until I get a nod for gluing. The cover strips were measured at 15 mms across.

RCSCOhu.jpg

BrNftSj.jpg

Pretty short n sweet for this post. If everything checks out I await anyone's recommendations or approval for gluing the front areas.

As always, I appreciate your support, time and help.

Hi Rob! Here is an image/link from my own ATA build which might be helpful to you, although I know Mario already fixed you up with a good image. I find that visuals are always helpful.

49918632598_8c926b15d2_o.png

Additionally, here's a note regarding the bulge at the top of the bicep; it's recommended that it actually be removed. Here's are some photos from and link to Joseph's guide to return edges.

ZhIF9UI.jpg     hPArXvJ.jpg

"Additionally, here's a note regarding the bulge at the top of the bicep; it's recommended that it actually be removed." Hey thanks for that catch, Caleb. I'll remove that bit and get to sanding the butted edges. Also, considering you can slide your whole arm through the affixed bicep pieces, is it recommended to glue both the front and back cover strips to the bicep parts or just for the front cover strips? Thanks as always guys!

4 hours ago, Phat Rob said:

Also, considering you can slide your whole arm through the affixed bicep pieces, is it recommended to glue both the front and back cover strips to the bicep parts or just for the front cover strips? Thanks as always guys!

All armor pieces and coverstrips are glued front and back with the exception of the rear of the shins which are open. 

As Glen says, with the exception of the rear-facing calves, all butt-joint limb pieces should be glued, including front-facing and rear-facing, and outer and inner (if used) cover strips.

For the calves you would glue the forward-facing outer cover strip, and it is highly recommended to also use an inner cover strip on the front to reinforce the clamshell movement. The rear-facing outer calf cover strips should be glued only to the outside edge (the side closest to your smallest toe).

Generally there are three types of rear calf closures: Adhesive velcro, bra hooks with elastic, or magnetic. Velcro is easiest, the hooks are most screen-accurate, and magnets are the cleanest-looking. If you opt for the magnet route, definitely check out Christine’s (Cricket) tutorial. A link is included in my TK reference thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

All armor pieces and coverstrips are glued front and back with the exception of the rear of the shins which are open. 

Thanks Glen, for that input! Regarding the calf closures I am leaning towards magnets. I need to do a bit of research. Thanks again Caleb!

While I create and apply my inner bicep support-strips I have a quick question regarding cutting the edges of the forearm pieces.

R1Wv1J6.jpg

3msEZ8n.jpg

Is it recommended to cut along the very edge of the flattened section or can you leave a rounded edge as indicated on the green outline? Thanks as always for your time and help!

On the wrist end of the forearm you should follow the red line and make sure there is absolutely no return edge for L3. @justjoseph63 has an excellent return edge tutorial thread. On the elbow end of the forearm you can trim to comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What's up fellas? Today is really just an arm dump with a few questions. Ok, firstly I have removed that troublesome bulge at the top of the bicep. Are there any other corners/bulges that need nipping?

7jRwlah.jpg

VeO4kGQ.jpg

1JHUVzd.jpg

0fYQOs7.jpg

Next, we've got some forearm trim pics. To my knowledge I have shaved off all of the return edge from the wrists and trimmed all along the middle "hump(?)" at the top of the forearms. This was to keep the shape consistent with the wrist shape. Do the forearms require any more trim that you can see?

NSGLVDT.jpg

p53Qt86.jpg

Lastly, the last few pics are my forearm cutouts after fitting on my...forearms? lol

BAW7jSL.jpg

wJ8xVsL.jpg

Alrighty then, I 'm moving on to the chest and back pieces (FINALLY!) next and await any suggestions or corrections that this community may have. Sincere appreciation for your time and expertise as always!

Looking good, with the forearms it's a bit hard to see the front trimming but you don't want any return edge at all, even in the step areas.

I have pretty skinny arms so I sized to the minimum for cover strips and added some foam inside to stop any rotation on the forearms, the glove fills up the front area.

You may also notice once you have them assembled that one forearm will look oval the other round, I used a little heat and put some pressure on the sides of the rounded forearm and made it a little more oval, gives a better appearance.

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

it's a bit hard to see the front trimming but you don't want any return edge at all, even in the step areas.

Yeah looking at my step areas on the wrists I think I can go a little closer as there does appear to be some return edge showing. I'll post some pic updates. Thanks Glen!

• Like 1