EIB Paint Requirements for Hero Helmet Hovi Mic Tips Correct?

Hi, everyone:

xScVl0F.jpg

I've just sent off my application for basic approval ANH Hero and am getting ready for EIB.

One of the requirements for the Hero helmet is to paint the inside and the rims of the hovi mic tips white:

• Correct 'Hovi mic' aerator tips are present. Screens used shall be

of a wide type mesh, with the rim of the mic and the inside white or painted white.

Based on my research, conversations with other armor makers, and pouring over images from A New Hope, I'm unsure if this requirement makes the helmet more screen-accurate. In fact, it might be just the opposite. From what I can tell, most of the hovi tips for Hero Helmets were black, with wear and tear on the rims forming white or silver sections. Screens were the wide type and either silver or black.

St8t27N.jpg

Here are mine:

BORCa71.jpg

Here's a great site with many hero helmet images as a reference: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-hero-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

I'm curious what you think and if there's any consensus to perhaps broaden or revise this particular part of the requirement? Three armour makers I'm aware of use black tips for the hero helmets already, and again, there are many screen captures you can reference that support this. Seems like a petty thing, but it's one of the few requirements I'm wresting with right now as I prepare for the next level.  Thanks for you input, help, suggestions, and friendship fellow troopers! 

Peter

• Like 1

Good spot. I’m with you on this, Peter. It does appear that hero helmets, for the most part, had black hovi tips (with the exception of the little white cap inside (covering the screws with most helmets). As you said, there is some wear and tear so some to have white / partly-white rims, however, the inside walls are black.

I would imagine this is a copy and paste error from the Stunt CRL.

Black inner walls clearly evident below.

9738eac2866c547e9f6d2c7341a94f83.jpg

6bcac3ec37a2b26d564e36fec0d8814e.jpg

The mesh does indeed appear to be painted black, also.

Great spot on this, Peter.

I have no issue if the interior sides are not painted white, but the rear "nipple" should be white, as should the rim (at least a little).  I also see no problem with the screen being painted black.

AKA1j5A.jpg?1  PoqnGMA.jpg?1  wTclguk.jpg?1

• Like 2

I believe the original hovi’s were white/off-white and painted black, and what you see is the paint wearing off as mentioned.

I think rewording the CRLs as some kits come with black and others white hovis, to avoid confusion, maybe?

• Like 3

Great topic for a 2020 CRL update thread. Can one of you staff move the discussion there so we can start work on it. This goes beyond a simple wording update in my opinion.

I've unlocked the thread

• Like 1

Reason the original tips were white is because many were cast in resin from the original plumbing pieces, and yes, then painted black.

What i do think is the mesh should either be black or unpainted for uniformity, choose one and go with it rather than movie or production errors.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, Harbinger said:

I believe the original hovi’s were white/off-white and painted black, and what you see is the paint wearing off as mentioned.

I think rewording the CRLs as some kits come with black and others white hovis, to avoid confusion, maybe?

I would agree with this, Harbinger. I wanted to present this point only because the photos seem to indicate otherwise; however, I'm acutely aware of all of the inconsistencies in helmets/armour within ANH. For someone like me, a noob, having some more specific guidelines would help. "Hovi-Mix tips can have the interiors painted white or black, with some weathering on the rim to show some white and/or black." Just my two cents from an unauthorized, uncertified, unclassified noob, LOL!

Edited by 4Runner

• Sly11 pinned and unpinned this topic