MissionTrooper's First Build

MissionTrooper

Depends on how long your straps are, they need to cover both front and back of the armor, screen used had 1 large tab and 4 to 5 smaller tabs on the chest but as I say it depends on your kits strap length.

What I find works is to tape the front of the straps to the chest and  then put on the chest and back then tape together, you can then mark with a pencil how the sides sit so they cover both chest and back, sometimes you need to twist how the straps are sitting on the chest to align them to sit over the back plate, then mark with a pencil remove and glue.

Chest Plate 02

Chest Plate 03

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skookumshot said:

So, basically as long as they are evenly spaced front-to-back and straight? 

As glen mentioned if possible 4-5 rungs on the chest plate, how many that remain on the back doesn't matter really so log as they're relatively centered on the back plate tabs.

21 minutes ago, Skookumshot said:

With 4 on the front there are 2 on the back. If that's acceptable, then I will glue them on that way.

That sould be fine yes

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I also really appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm trying to glean as much as I can from ukswrath's build thread, other build threads and Centurion submissions so I don't have to ask too many questions.  When I do ask a question, people are very quick to jump in and help. I really makes a person feel welcome. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

If there’s ever a question ask away. Someone is usually quick to jump on it. That’s what makes FISD the best detachment ever (says me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ^^^^

21 hours ago, Skookumshot said:

I noticed that some people paint the inside of their buckets black.  Is it just for looks, or is there some functional reason?

It reduces the amount of reflected light is inside the helmet, makes it a little easier to see and not be seen ;) 

• Like 1

Advice on the shoulder straps - Reinforce them with a backing strip.  They tend to snap...  Two of us with AP had them snap in the same place on the same day.   White duct tape to the rescue. 

2 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Advice on the shoulder straps - Reinforce them with a backing strip.  They tend to snap...  Two of us with AP had them snap in the same place on the same day.   White duct tape to the rescue. 

Thanks, I will do that. Back them with ABS or white canvas strap?

Use ABS for that, Andrew, BUT... as Tony suggested they could use a hot water bath to give them more of an arc first.  If you decide to do that, bend the reinforcing strips to the same exact shape before attaching them underneath.  If you don't, the reinforcing strip will straighten them back to their original shape.

If you decide to paint or use Plasti-Dip inside your bucket, I would highly recommend the following:

Sand the interior using 120 (or so) grit sand paper first and then clean it thoroughly.  This will give whatever product you use something to better adhere to.  The reason being is that if you decide to attach anything inside (fans, battery packs etc.) using Velcro it will not peel off the product nearly as easy when you want to move (or remove) it.

If you decide to use Plasti-Dip (a rubber-like coating) it will smell awful for a day or two but will dissipate after that.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Skookumshot said:

I noticed that some people paint the inside of their buckets black.  Is it just for looks, or is there some functional reason?

I've never understood this but apparently as Glen mentioned there's a reason behind the hype. I don't do it personally

A couple of pics showing how filling the thigh seams with ABS paste turned out.  Not perfect, bit you really have to look close to see where they've been filled 

FrQDZHG.jpg

D0O50Tj.jpg

Edited by Skookumshot
  • Like 1