Windlass Studios TK

FIVE

So what's everyone's thoughts on the Windlass TK armor that's going to be coming out this next year?

What I've heard...

1) It's going to be fully sculpted armor

2) It's going to be a "mesh" between screen accurate and idealized. (No gaffers tape in other words.)

3) It's going to come with boots, underarmor, gloves, helmet, the whole thing.

4) It's also going to have a custom bin, plus "shoulder tote" for your bucket.

5) It's going to be priced between $1,500 to $1,800 (maybe more)

6) It's going to be made of "FlexArmor"... some new concoction they've developed that will allow the armor to be rigid yet "flex" with you for a more comfortable fit.

So, what have others heard?

Are you excited, scared, worried, happy, doppy, sneezy, bashful, doc?

Personally I'm kind of excited about the possibility of a really good set of authorized armor. I do not think it will cause there to be a huge influx in the 501st membership. (If the amount of $$ we spend now keeps people out then that price surely will.) I also think the 501st should allow people in that get it — IF it is good obviously.

I know I'm proud of my armor, and proud that I put it together. I'm especially proud of my modded MR CE... but, I have to admit if there was a licensed set of really good armor out there I would be very tempted to buy it.

A big part of me is hoping its crappy.

But, a big part of me is excited to see how good it is.

I mean I hope that no matter what it only makes the 501st better and better and better!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have heard the same, Fully ready to wear and top notch.

Two things I see though.

Price.

Like you said. It will be complete, so 1500 isnt that far off from what I read. That price might also dictate that it is a limited supply, I cant see shelves and shelves of armor that might not sell. Not to many will fork out that change.

Fit.

Not all people are cookie cutter. So, there will have to be adjustments, and thats where things could go wrong. How do you trim "Flex rubber"? What will go into the set being worn?

I will take a seat and wait and see. These might be display queens, might be wearable. No one has seen one that I know of, so I am hoping they destroy Rubies. But as with all mass produced stuff, Time will tell.

I have heard that the armor will be made of a spray in mold material that will be flexible and light. So right there it isnt accurate. If its great looking it will be a nice alternative for sure. The price is ridiculous however, given the caliber of what you can buy from the armorers here in the threads. They are much cheaper. I dunno. it will be neat to see. They have some really nice costumes already, so we'll see.

That is funny :D:D:D

I had heard about $2k per set. Add this to the fact that they are going to have to make compromises due to the mass-production environment (and that theyre licensed, pay taxes, have to please shareholders etc. etc.) suggests to me that UNLESS the "LFL official" tag is important to you, you're going to be able to get something a lot cheaper and more accurate from one of the leading fan-made producers

Cheers

Jez

• 2 weeks later...