How much $ Should I have for this?

So I'm a J.R.O.T.C. Cadet who just turned 18. Been wanting to join for a long time. 

I have always loved Star Wars, and specifically the Empire. I've always wanted to portray a Stormtrooper and get to do this type of awesome stuff.

I however am broke. I have a PoS $500 Car and a ridiculously high Insurance Bill. 

At the end of it all I have about $250 saved up. Is there any remote way I could get a used suit or set of armor? Idk. Sorry if this isn't allowed and go ahead and remove. :p

Edit: I just fully realized how tarded this sounds. I don't know how to delete this post. Sorry lol

Edited by jonbelcher10

19 minutes ago, jonbelcher10 said:

So I'm a J.R.O.T.C. Cadet who just turned 18. Been wanting to join for a long time. 

I have always loved Star Wars, and specifically the Empire. I've always wanted to portray a Stormtrooper and get to do this type of awesome stuff.

I however am broke. I have a PoS $500 Car and a ridiculously high Insurance Bill. 

At the end of it all I have about $250 saved up. Is there any remote way I could get a used suit or set of armor? Idk. Sorry if this isn't allowed and go ahead and remove. :p

Edit: I just fully realized how tarded this sounds. I don't know how to delete this post. Sorry lol

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. 

For $250, there isn't really anything you can do with that, besides some the non armor stuff.

Although, one of the cheapest kits out there that is pretty accurate and popular is ATA.

Make sure to check out the vetted sellers list.

In terms of a total price, it can range from around $800 - $2,200.

Now keep in kind the lowest price can vary depending on what supplies are used and how much DIY is done, and the $2,200 would be for something like a commisioned build. Overall, I would recommend a kit over a completed build (1. Because it is waaay cheaper and 2. It will likely fit better and 3. That's just part of the fun).

So my advise in the end, if this is what you want to do you'll find a way to do it, as well as search the forum and ask plenty of questions.

We did a poll awhile back and the average was about $1200 when all was said and done.  Some people were able to complete their TK for about $700 or $800 or so, but we're talking the lowest price kit they could find, making their own belt, neckseal, doing everything themselves.   Get a set of TM armor and a de-activated Sterling E-11 and you can go to $1800 and some up as high as $2500 if they have someone else do the build.

This is not a cheap hobby I'm afraid.  Even an Imperial Crewman - probably the cheapest entry costume along with a Jawa - is $200 to $250.

Perfectly normal question. Personally if it was me and I wanted to get involved I’d join my garrison and help out. Through that you’ll make friends and learn some tricks while saving your money. I don’t think anyone should put themselves in financial danger for this hobby. Although I love doing it, I waited until I had the money to build armor. I’m set in my job and could afford the cost. Had I know about helping out on troops as a non costume person I would have joined earlier. And if it’s not being in a costume that bothers you, you’d probably be able to pick up a cheap Officer outfit used somewhere. If you want to troop with a covered face I’d say go the Jawa route to start. I got one custom made to CRL standards for my daughter for $350 plus the cost of a cheap pair of boots. You could do that and eventually sell it when you have the money for a TK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello Jonathan,

My 2 cents, just as the guys said above it’s not going to be cheap. But you can start by combing through all the recent built threads on this forum first, this will certainly take you some time, but after that you will be fairly familiar with all the tricks and the get-arounds for building a TK costume.

Use this extra time to save up, and check out our buy and sell section on a regular basis, you might be able to find a pre-owned but not yet build kit for a little less than what it cost originally (sometimes people just let them go due to lack of time to start a project or other issues). Planing and actually building a costume till it’s ready to troop will takes months (if not years, from somome I know from my garrison).

Just a warm reminder on joining the Legion, it's not just about getting into a costume and look cool, it’s also about your love for Star Wars and to share this love with others, and while doing so, give a little back to the community (you have to be prepared to give up some time for charities and stuffs).

Good luck.

• Like 2

At 18 you can start handling. Find your local garrison.

Save for a few months.  Or a year. Dont buy the cheapest thing you can find, it will be regretted.

Start with a reserve pilot or crewman.  Then save for a TK.

I agree, join a local garrison and you might be surprised once the word gets out that you are in the military and on a budget as someone might have some old armor around that you can get cheap. Also keep an eye out in the junkyard here. The last thing you want to do is wast money on something that isn't approved.

When I first got into the hobby I bought the Anovos Tier 1 kit for $350 with no knowledge of the 501st. With boots and a blaster and supplies I probably have at most $700 into it and I don't think there is any way you could do a basic to centurion build any cheaper than that but unfortunately that same kit is now $1,100 and overpriced in my opinion.

I have been getting interest from friends to join the 501st for cheap and the best I could find is someone in the Georgia Garrison was approved as Kylo Ren "Matt the Radar Technician" from the SNL sketch. I have not seen the CRL but apparently there are 3 now approved and it is super cheap and hilarious. Aviator glasses $15, Gray Dickies overalls $35, Black work boots, First Order patches for the shoulders $20, wig $15 and the most expensive piece is the orange utility vest on eBay for $50. So you would have an approved costume for $135.

12931190_10209199597845804_6381459354813117817_n.jpg

Edited by mikidymac

• 4 weeks later...