Xan's ANH Stunt Build [ATA]

2 hours ago, Xanthais said:

Quick question. I've never used rivets or snaps before. I assume you pre-drill the holes for them?

What size drill bit do you use?

Sent from my MSE-6 droid using Tapatalk

Yes but you can also use a punch tool, soldering iron or pretty much anything that makes a hole depending on preference and material as I wouldn’t recommend using a drill on soft materials. And size is to use something making a hole just big enough for the post to go through, soft materials as webbing and elastic has a tendancy to frey so a soldering iron would be my choice for that as it seals it when making the hole. And it works great on plastic to :salute:

• Like 1

For drilling holes in ABS, I suggest a 5/32 size bit.  For the nylon/elastic strapping, I have found a soldering/wood burning iron like this one  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weller-Electric-15-Piece-Wood-Burning-Kit/3402984 works great.  It seals the edges of the holes preventing fraying.  Here is a tutorial that may help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44617-snap-setting-101/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xanthais said:

Quick question. I've never used rivets or snaps before. I assume you pre-drill the holes for them?

What size drill bit do you use?

You can also buy snap kits already made. 

https://trooperbay.com/line-24-ez-snap-tabs-and-elastic-straps-set

• Like 1

If you do use nylon or elastic I would suggest using a soldering iron to make the holes, just helps to seal the edges around the holes and prevents the snap from pulling though ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

If you do use nylon or elastic I would suggest using a soldering iron to make the holes, just helps to seal the edges around the holes and prevents the snap from pulling though ;) 

Yep. I use a leather punch to create the hole then a lighter to cauterize it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xanthais said:

Got my trooping crate. And no sooner did I get home than I got an email from ATA that my armor has shipped!

Great to hear!  While waiting for you armor, I recommend heading to Joanne's fabrics (or something similar) and picking up some 1 inch thick sheets of foam to line your bin sides/bottom with.  Bins get knocked around a lot, and this will protect your armor from getting banged all to heck during transport.  Just cut them to size and use a heavy-duty spray adhesive to hold them in place.

• Like 2

Nothing better that a BBB full of shiny white, good luck, looking forward to the progress :D

• Like 2

As a side note, I enjoy my real firearms, and the notion of ANH holster being on the left side, even though all the troopers in the movie shoot right handed, and the thought of drawing with the left and transitioning to my right hand, makes my OCD ping like crazy. Hahahaha. No wonder they can't hit anything! LOL

Oh, and gonna go for Centurion right out the gate!

As a side note, I enjoy my real firearms, and the notion of ANH holster being on the left side, even though all the troopers in the movie shoot right handed, and the thought of drawing with the left and transitioning to my right hand, makes my OCD ping like crazy. Hahahaha. No wonder they can't hit anything! LOL

Oh, and gonna go for Centurion right out the gate!

I hear ya on the left to right transition. Straight to centurion that is what we like to see. I did the same on mine, just waiting on my EIB application so I can move forward towards centurion.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So before I bust out the shears and start cutting, I have seen very few ATA build threads.

Is there anything about ATA that makes it different from any others to where if I follow instruction on say an Anovos build, I'll be in trouble?

I mean I assume all manufacturers are not made the same so there will be differences correct?

ATA is pretty much like most, it does have a round and an oval forearm, most apply a little heat once assembled to make the oval one a little rounder to match, other wise one looks huge in photos.

It is also a lot thicker than most other armor, score and snap will work with cover strips once you give them a few passes, but you won’t score and snap the armor pieces, better off getting a dremel (or knock off version), I use 3 of them with different heads, drum sander, cutting disk and drill, saves a whole lot of time trying to cut with sheers ;) 

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed some of the pieces were close to almost 1/8" inch thick in some trim areas. I have a dremmel which I used the drill bit and cutting bit on my bucket for the eyes and teeth.

Good to know on the forearms. I will be trimming off excess and hopefully taping things together for initial sizing this weekend with photos.

• Like 1