Master Replica's Collector's Edition Stormtrooper Helmet

Is it Worth it?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying and MR CE helmet worth it?

• YES
    • NO

teh.... whatever dude.... ;)

i think this is a good idea. based on the pull results, and the fact that i have lots of time on my hands, i think i'll give this a shot! :)

good luck with that dude ;)

I think the real question here for all us Nu-B's isn't "Is it worth it?", it's where does it fall in the scale between screen acurate and the R*b!3s/Don Post products?

I have to say that getting a 1st time bucket that isn't universaly hated by the 501st (or so it seems, not really sure) for 120, then modding it seems like a great deal, especially for those of us on a budget. Can't exactly swing 450 for the completed TE2's, that's more then some armour kits.

I have to admit, shamefully, but only out of ignorance, that untill 3 days ago I was considering buying the current "Officaly Licensed Delux CE" lid for $60. It seems that everyone agrees that those are absolute junk. On that note, many, many, many thanks to ALL OF YOU for posing so much information on TK gear for us new commers.

I think the real question here for all us Nu-B's isn't "Is it worth it?", it's where does it fall in the scale between screen acurate and the R*b!3s/Don Post products?

I have to say that getting a 1st time bucket that isn't universaly hated by the 501st (or so it seems, not really sure) for 120, then modding it seems like a great deal, especially for those of us on a budget. Can't exactly swing 450 for the completed TE2's, that's more then some armour kits.

I have to admit, shamefully, but only out of ignorance, that untill 3 days ago I was considering buying the current "Officaly Licensed Delux CE" lid for $60. It seems that everyone agrees that those are absolute junk. On that note, many, many, many thanks to ALL OF YOU for posing so much information on TK gear for us new commers.

Are you referring to the MRCE? How is it a piece of junk?

Whith the required mods it looks great. The only hitch is that it's face is symmetrical i.e. idealized, which is what some troopers also strive for. Yeah TE2 and Ap look way better, but the MR-lids are far away from being junk.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Adam - wow how did u come to that conclusion? Hope u arent talking abt the MR CE. To clarify - when u say "officially licence deluxe CE" - sounds like u are talking abt a Rubies. Now thats a completely different kettle of fish as it ISNT 501 acceptable, and does look like a piece of junk!

bottom line is that the MR CE is 501 acceptable with some minor mods AND like all the helmets available today, have their supporters and detracters.

No one can really make the decision for u whether its worth it or not. Its something, again like all the available kit for armour out there, that u have to make urself based on preference, cost, availability.

Pro - cost, pretty decent lid if u can accept it symmetry (I actually like its symmetry, and was so glad when I heard it was 501 acceptable!)

Cons - too symmetrical, mods(and time) required, strange looking ears (note - not required to mod for clearance)

Alain - I agree with Noel. I know everyones time is precious, but I do white armour as a hobby. For me the journey is half the fun. I've took over a month to do my MR CE mods - and still have traps and forwn to do!! - as I have to balance real life with hobby. Has it delayed clearance - definately, am I bothered? Not at all. Having all the gear on sometimes makes me a little sad, as I've completed that particular project. Besides, even after completion; I keep looking at my MR CE and keep wondering, wot would it look like if...... rofl. Maybe its a left over from when I didnt have the cash to spend on gettin a completed or nicer kit; but I do like the personalised bits eg a little wonky drill hole for the frown, or a run in a hidden corner, weird little scratch in a lid that no one else can see, but u are convinced its like a HUGE gorge over the left eye.

But like I said - to each his own, and theres nothing wrong with that!

Nate

I know everyones time is precious, but I do white armour as a hobby. For me the journey is half the fun. I've took over a month to do my MR CE mods - and still have traps and forwn to do!! - as I have to balance real life with hobby. Has it delayed clearance - definately, am I bothered? Not at all.

Very well said man!

I think that's it for me too... and yeah, I took like 2 months to finish mine.

I'm glad so many agree with me... that's always nice to see.

Message board acceptance... ahh... can life get better? :D

I think you missed the point of this thread Adam :unsure:

The reality of the situation is that there is a minimum bar that the 501st accepts. Some people are OK with staying at a minimum bar, others do not. The 501st is home to both, which means the FISD is home to both. In other words, if you're an accuracy snob you better learn to tolerate your basic brothers as they're equal members too. And if you're just at the minimum bar, you better get used to people always wanting to be more accurate.

However I do notice that people who just want to get a basic suit and move on don't spend much time on detachment boards once their suit is put together (this or any other detachment, so FISD is not unique). So while we're here to help, please forgive the membership if they always nudge folks to be more like themselves. :)

However I do notice that people who just want to get a basic suit and move on don't spend much time on detachment boards once their suit is put together (this or any other detachment, so FISD is not unique). So while we're here to help, please forgive the membership if they always nudge folks to be more like themselves. :)

Not sure what camp I fall into on that one. :D haha

Heck, or me either. One one hand I want every TK to be welcome here. On the other, I have a hard time with people who are lazy with their costumes and have no desire for improvement of any kind, while other costumes in the 501st get better and better.

OK, at the expense of sounding like a noob, which I am :D , does the MRCE have enough room in it for fans and a mike? Having asked that are there any helmets that don't have space for fans/mic?

I am thinking of going the MRCE route because it seems a little better than the bobble head FX but still within my poor college kid budget. And though I have found info on every helmet I hear about I seem to keep forgetting it...hmm, need to put it in a spreadsheet or something.

The reality of the situation is that there is a minimum bar that the 501st accepts.

how crazy is it that the FX bucket is good to go, but the MRCE reqiues mods! :lol:

ultimately, if your after the screen accurate look, just spend your money once.

once you buy a full FX kit, then MRCE helmet and all that you could have just started with a SA suit.

my $700 billion bailout $.02

The reality of the situation is that there is a minimum bar that the 501st accepts. Some people are OK with staying at a minimum bar, others do not. The 501st is home to both, which means the FISD is home to both. In other words, if you're an accuracy snob you better learn to tolerate your basic brothers as they're equal members too. And if you're just at the minimum bar, you better get used to people always wanting to be more accurate.

aw man, I just want everyone to be accuracy nuts like us Paul :(

how crazy is it that the FX bucket is good to go, but the MRCE reqiues mods! :lol:

Because there are a bunch of old timers who can't be bothered to spend $.10 on screws, $3 on tube stripes, and 10 minutes cutting out a few teeth. It's called "grandfathering". And yes, they're the "backbone of the Legion". :P

Because there are a bunch of old timers who can't be bothered to spend $.10 on screws, $3 on tube stripes, and 10 minutes cutting out a few teeth. It's called "grandfathering". And yes, they're the "backbone of the Legion". :P

here- here! :pint1:

TK 3840 said:
OK, at the expense of sounding like a noob, which I am :D , does the MRCE have enough room in it for fans and a mike? Having asked that are there any helmets that don't have space for fans/mic?

I am thinking of going the MRCE route because it seems a little better than the bobble head FX but still within my poor college kid budget. And though I have found info on every helmet I hear about I seem to keep forgetting it...hmm, need to put it in a spreadsheet or something.

Check out the last pages of my mod-thread. I´ve got for fans in there, no prob!

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Like some others, I really like the idealized symmetrical look of the MR CE. Although, a movie screen accurate wonky helmet has definate merit in my opinion and a special place in my heart as well.

Just to nerd out for a moment though, since costumes from Lucasarts games are considered 501st worthy, let's keep in mind that video game "screen accurate" stormtroopers at least since Rebel Assault in 1993 have all had symmetrical helmets. In particular I believe the new "Force Unleashed" title is even commonly accepted as official Star Wars canon. :P

I've got a foot in both worlds here. I like symmetrical just because the thought how it "should" have been. But in my mind, if I'm going for idealized I would take it all the way with loads of electronics and whatnot.

I currently have the MRCE, but will change it up for an AP to begin with (was going with TE2, but the white paint I've come across so far doesn't match the ABS good enough in my opinion).

I like the wonky look mostly because it has some charm and gives the face of the bucket more character (or something like that). It ads a little personality to the face.