WTF ANH STUNT TK Build Thread

StrmTRPR85

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the shins.  From what I was able to research and ask questions there is still much debate as to if it is short:short long:long or short:long short:long for the shin assembly.  I opted to go for the short long assembly.

F_1o5uft9aoGy63MF1JqA7GyUgb-9EtyItR9TB5NlATh-upx9gGfhSyzs7zCt8Rg_GuAernEl-5pUsQG-EqnkFPjMcd3FhBYeJoWm5Xn3qzgWzR108_9aRlR-IlzqXEe0pq7MlW0CqD2TqJkyOUHDts0vF5rp12P

I began with trimming the shins and leaving a good portion of a return edge on the top by the knee.  I left some return edge by the ankles but I will probably be removing all of this for comfort.

by1mCyGbE8zKireSxCjH3AOMJXZspGBX4HCwiAFgaqEkyFuVbw9ZHMvw4BxxmAhIIYawz2mjmzxzDwMP

For cutting the front of the shins the 20 mm cover strips works great for my sizing in the front so I went with that and trimmed them the return edge 10 mm on each side.

YUA6Kp_qN0poqGn15XCk3aOahXdkSe3C5gLmU6pj

Two shins glued in together with the front cover strip!

w59IDk2jBkO5aWEMT2hWqWisH4FEm16AsV7z-dLm

The shin on the right picture I have trimmed in the back, hence why it does not bow out as much as the shin on the left.  I am still determining if it should be long on the inside or long on the outside.  I am leaning towards the long on the inside as that appears to have the calf curve.  I still need to trim the ankles so that the arch is more uniform but the tops are lined up so this is normal I am told.

16 minutes ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

Thank you for the feedback Coastertk!  How much return edge should remain on the ankles?  I am thinking none

I attended an armor party last weekend and a few TK's commented to remove all or risk tearing up your boots. Consensus with that group (none had built a WTF) was to have the longer part on the outside

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTM said:

I attended an armor party last weekend and a few TK's commented to remove all or risk tearing up your boots. Consensus with that group (none had built a WTF) was to have the longer part on the outside

Thank you LTM!  I thought that if there were any return edge it would tear up the boot.

I have seen many back and forth as to which side goes on the inside or the outside.  I slide mine on last night and it felt right with the long on the outside.  I am going to try it again after I remove the return edge and trim the arch to be more uniform on the front.

7 hours ago, tydirium1 said:

I used the short , long, assembly.  The sniper knee seems to fit best that way , assuming you correctly place the long side on the outside.

From what it sounds like the Council of WTF TKs demands it goes on the outside :tkrotj:

• Like 2

It is so funny about these shins. From Walt standing in his shop I was told when I picked up my kit. Long piece is outside. I've joked with him about all the back and forth about it. I recommended they should label them in the future. But they are so busy it might not always get done. Part of the fun in becoming a TK!

4 hours ago, troopermaster said:

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the WTF shins. I have never seem them in person but I do know about the original armour it was cast from and I can tell you that you have them assembled incorrectly in this photo. The one on the left is two inner halves and the one of the right is two outer halves. The original armour it was cast from didn't have the inner left but Walt seems to have picked one up along the road. See this photo of the original leg armour and you can clearly see they are two outer halves and the left is shorter than the right - just as you have the right shin assembled in your photo. It appears Walt has extended one of the outer left parts for some reason but I have always suggested that people glue both longer parts together for the right shin and both shorter parts together for the left leg. None of the original parts are the same size left or right. Hope that helps :)

5y3vWRC.jpg

Well everyone seems back and forth which is which.  I already trimmed the back for the closures how I have them glued no going back now.  Thanks for the reply though troopermaster

16 hours ago, troopermaster said:

See this photo of the original leg armour and you can clearly see they are two outer halves and the left is shorter than the right - just as you have the right shin assembled in your photo.

Are you saying I have the right shin assembled correctly based on the hard evidence?

I'm really confused by the statement 

"See this photo of the original leg armour and you can clearly see they are two outer halves and the left is shorter than the right - just as you have the right shin assembled in your photo"

From that it sounds like my right shin is assembled correctly based on the photo.

All in all, I already trimmed the back of the calves and have also received confirmation from other WTK builds that is how they assembled it.  I do not believe this will prevent me in getting approved.

I'm not saying your wrong Troopermaster, and I do appreciate the feedback but I'm not able to go back at this point to reglue them :)

Just got off the messenger app with Walt.  Shins are assembled correctly and confirmed with the same picture above.  He states do not go off of length but go off of the curve in the calf.

So in my instance my "long" will be on the inside due to the calf bend:cantinabandf:

• Like 1

I am 100% right but I am totally done helping this group from now on.
Sorry to read that. I have the same kit and struggle for pictures to help build. For me with assembling two different sized calves is just not going to look correct. If the legs were correct, seems you would always be walking in a circle with one small and one long :-)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk