ImperialBrewer’s first TK ANH stunt build WIP

imperialbrewer

I received my RWA ANH TK armor kit today and of course couldn’t wait to get cracking! I’m doing my best to take it slow and be careful but it’s also hard to curb my enthusiasm here.

So here’s my WIP thread, aiming high for Centurion and hope to start trooping before spring starts — I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me!

Day one gallery:

http:// https://photos.app.goo.gl/38faRqczJdfZbRM33

c348a398121cb65da9837e0a624a84e3.jpg

f8fd96e337ab0d9c06947f6c3cca7adf.jpg

cedf2745539d40492c79f473d2f0e87f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, imperialbrewer said:

it’s also hard to curb my enthusiasm

Totally know the feeling, about to start my 3rd build but the excitment is just as strong as the first time and like Brien said: Enjoy your build:D

Edited by TheSwede

I thought it was a Smurftrooper at first...
have fun, we’ll be eagerly watching.

Funny because half of my sorta nerdy friends said the same thing — “so....are you supposed to be a Smurftrooper? Because that’s what that looks like right there...”. “Yes, we’re going to smurf those rebels with our smurfy smurfers right in the smurf.”

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

A trooper AND a drummer - were we separated at birth? ;-) lol

Truth be told, I'm a guitarist that just tries to play drums LOLOL!   I used to play music a lot more in the past but just don't have the kind of free time to devote to it like I used to. I used to write my own material, sing, play guitar (and other instruments) and record my own material; also used to be in a few bands — but kids happened.  :P  Kids tend to throw a wrench in one's free time.  

• Like 1

QUESTION: Have any of you primed/painted your helmets?  If so any recommendations?

Background:  in my enthusiasm for obtaining a kit from RWA, I had Ross sign the interior of my helmet — a nod to the artist like the signature on a painting.  I wanted to have a personal memorial inside to the man behind the kits.  Well, the idea sounded great at the time until I saw that the writing is visible through the 1.5mm ABS.  *sigh*  So I'm thinking of spray painting the lid with Krylon's matte white all-in-one primer/paint (multi-surface, works with plastic).  I did test it on a scrap piece and it seemed to mask the marker quite well, but I'm still extremely cautious about doing this.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

2 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

It might not show when your head is in there blacking it out, tape it together and try it on first:)

It still comes through pretty clearly — I held the front and back together and trying not to allow any light into the lid (as to avoid backlighting the interior) and it still comes through plain as day.  :\  

Hi mate,
Don’t panic. I’d recommend black, self adhesive EVA sheets. I used it and am really pleased with the results. I now can’t see the writing at all, but can remove the EVA if I wanted to. :-)

cdd0d256ce1c0f38e50513192da8329b.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

I used it and am really pleased with the results. I now can’t see the writing at all

So you had a similar situation with permanent marker writing on the interior of your helmet?  What's the thickness of your ABS?  

Edited by imperialbrewer
including another question

So you had a similar situation with permanent marker writing on the interior of your helmet?  What's the thickness of your ABS?  

Indeed. I asked Ross to sign my lid. Mines 1.5mm ABS. :-)

• Like 1

Say @CableGuy — I've been poking around the forums and Centurion build info, and saw that you hooked up your own cooling system.  I've been poking around with my own as well, two small 5 volt fans, both hooked up to one tube-shaped USB battery pack with both a switch and small LED power indicator light.  Did you run two battery packs, one for each fan or did you run both off of one battery pack?  At first glance they both seem to work hooked up to one battery pack, but I'm unsure about the implications of doing so — i.e., reducing the lifespan of the fans (which are dirt cheap anyway) and/or the USB battery pack.

OZo-S3cwKHxsW950DGrylrUSIQdjc1hvcxBrKLFk

Say [mention=31976]CableGuy[/mention] — I've been poking around the forums and Centurion build info, and saw that you hooked up your own cooling system.  I've been poking around with my own as well, two small 5 volt fans, both hooked up to one tube-shaped USB battery pack with both a switch and small LED power indicator light.  Did you run two battery packs, one for each fan or did you run both off of one battery pack?  At first glance they both seem to work hooked up to one battery pack, but I'm unsure about the implications of doing so — i.e., reducing the lifespan of the fans (which are dirt cheap anyway) and/or the USB battery pack.

OZo-S3cwKHxsW950DGrylrUSIQdjc1hvcxBrKLFky4bpySkz7hnYILAqv-WN94chFLlzC23JRUBaIgZrXevWmJf5-3A7Cxb4Uzv6z7JxG3w77elRVkU5jQ3pxcUq7miZWQCjHE-gncxmwgiPoey7yPVFgn3OZTkCMUyNDor8Rs05hWM_oY7FgQgeJvXOs63Axu6F2PjHaWM4ApesJRaDM3EMdMqM3zDGDA0EdT_aOpr5VBRqw9po0B4AaLueKVbRR2ZWD63fx6xMwDUbtKPMo1yoHj69tuzXMnNKYm2_GTrRCVD8eP4daBSnmIEtFcwR7ihxwT6Q7HjL0YgDuVPavbLEhQ474acqWghtWBXHTlcAXnzEc_nACCIknn6Bacv8u59Sf5p-3CJ0U4GajYjHbJs7VsCZ12miYByBE2_zeqzjYns44J7n_kHW9LLUPMveF0nBGDVV05UlIawD4qIEUwvG-3YuipdtHyfHnPkxSAHUI3mpbM_V545MYRE3Tj7sex5cPP27zsrI10cKVhTerrHJQOJLmu-b1XKx87x3AE-gv7SIfzhEOrlZJQrKy3DJMuJXy8MiLA0I_uyUThKVbWru_zzMJBEto0iY=w971-h728-no

Hi Michael,
I checked the draw of he fans and just went for one battery pack. 6200mah if I remember correctly.
However, I did wire individual switches for each fan so I have choice of running one or two. So far, one works well for short periods.

02365b6ccc237cf22daa20e7d6276c91.jpg

FYI, keep that autograph- Ross was a first order trooper in TFA. Not sure how many other fan based armour makers have been in one of the movies. :-)

• Like 1

QUESTION: Have any of you primed/painted your helmets?  If so any recommendations?

Background:  in my enthusiasm for obtaining a kit from RWA, I had Ross sign the interior of my helmet — a nod to the artist like the signature on a painting.  I wanted to have a personal memorial inside to the man behind the kits.  Well, the idea sounded great at the time until I saw that the writing is visible through the 1.5mm ABS.  *sigh*  So I'm thinking of spray painting the lid with Krylon's matte white all-in-one primer/paint (multi-surface, works with plastic).  I did test it on a scrap piece and it seemed to mask the marker quite well, but I'm still extremely cautious about doing this.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  
IMG_5433.jpg.7700304540990ac3fc0de8c6c8f17a0e.jpg
IMG_5436.thumb.jpg.4e55d8470d1d654b3785f5c3c0eae36d.jpg

Slight aside but are you aware that Ross was one of the 6 UKG troopers who were a first order TK in The Force Awakens?

http://www.ukgarrison.co.uk/news/item/79-the-force-awakens-the-ukg-6-from-episode-vii.html
  • Like 1

FYI, keep that autograph- Ross was a first order trooper in TFA.

Oh yeah, it’s not going anywhere. If anything, I’ll probably rig up a hinged EVA plate to make it easier to show others.

Also good to know on the one-battery pack. I don’t have a power meter to verify anything, but when I tested the level of air being pushed through with one versus two fans on one batter, I really didn’t detect any noticeable difference.

• Like 2