AP ANH Stunt Build

Steaditrooper

I've painted the first layer of grey. I started cleaning up the black and found some places still a little tacky so that will have to wait until tomorrow. 

wiF3PSSl.jpg

I will go over the lines with a very thin brush tomorrow to straighten everything out.

2H7X8HLl.jpg

Overall, I am pretty happy with how this is turning out. I think I might have these two done by my troop on Thursday. After that I will pull the cheek and brow stickers off and paint those. My final troop of the month is on the 21st so I should have time to get it all done for that. 

• Like 1

I'm watching closely as you work on your helmet. I've been impressed with all of your modifications so far. The hand-painting is certainly difficult looking. Can't wait to see the "final" product (I know you said it will always be a work in progress...but you know what I mean)!

-Dana

57 minutes ago, QuartZ said:

I'm watching closely as you work on your helmet. I've been impressed with all of your modifications so far. The hand-painting is certainly difficult looking. Can't wait to see the "final" product (I know you said it will always be a work in progress...but you know what I mean)!

-Dana

I'm watching your build too! Ha! You inspired me to go ahead and make those reenforcing strips and countersink my screws. However, your 3D printed work is fantastic. I just hacked my way through it :D. I've been wanting to paint once I started building my armour and got comfortable with the process. It feels like the right thing for me to do. I feel really positive about what I can achieve with hand painting. Never thought I would ever say that. Ever. Look what this forum does to people!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 9:55 AM, Sean said:

I'm watching your build too! Ha! You inspired me to go ahead and make those reenforcing strips and countersink my screws. However, your 3D printed work is fantastic. I just hacked my way through it :D. I've been wanting to paint once I started building my armour and got comfortable with the process. It feels like the right thing for me to do. I feel really positive about what I can achieve with hand painting. Never thought I would ever say that. Ever. Look what this forum does to people!

I know you've been watching my thread (you post there). I've been watching yours but realized I haven't said anything, Creeper alert! Anyway. Seriously you're doing great work. Did you get any more paint work done on the bucket?

-Dana

5 hours ago, QuartZ said:

I know you've been watching my thread (you post there). I've been watching yours but realized I haven't said anything, Creeper alert! Anyway. Seriously you're doing great work. Did you get any more paint work done on the bucket?

-Dana

I only did the second coat of grey. Not much different and not worth pics. Today I will do the stripes. Then there will be pics.

• Like 1

All that confidence I was feeling before kinda slipped away this morning as I was painting the stripes. I know I can get this done but wow, it's hard. I'm sure I could become quite good at this after, say, 20-30 helmets. My OCD is getting the best of me this morning. That's ok. I'm learning. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna be good at clean ups by the time this is done.

n8tamDwl.jpg

First, I measured the length of the stripes, 22mm, on the stickers I removed. I also measured the distance from the bottom of the sticker, 7mm.

YZ5Kku0l.jpg

The stripes on the stickers have a somewhat square end so I decided to tape the top and bottom as a guide.

Df4dm5Xl.jpg

I made sure the spacing was correct.

xAKjDDIl.jpg

I penciled in the 12 lines I needed to paint.

GRkozRBl.jpg

And...clean up in aisle 7. Some aren't too bad. Some need a bunch of work.

lnPPKI3l.jpg

It's just the first pass. Getting this done before Thursday is going to be tight.

• Like 2

After waiting about an hour I took the tape off. I won't need it for the cleanup. Doesn't look as bad as I thought. There's a bit of work to do yet but I'm feeling ok about this.

WMO4yaMl.jpg

QvZhj33l.jpg

Certainly looks hand painted. LOL.

26 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

That looks awesome!! Nice work! Who needs stencils? :) Oh wait... I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I should have waited another hour before painting to let my morning coffee wear off a little more. Just when I thought I was painting a straight line my hand would shake and...dang it! Try again and...Dang it! The tears are really going to be a challenge. Look what you made me do! Haha.

15 minutes ago, Sean said:

Thanks, but I should have waited another hour before painting to let my morning coffee wear off a little more. Just when I thought I was painting a straight line my hand would shake and...dang it! Try again and...Dang it! The tears are really going to be a challenge. Look what you made me do! Haha.

He he.  To be honest, there were a few moments when I was trying to get the stencils placed just right that I thought I should free-hand the whole thing using masking tape for the top and bottom edges like you did.  Next time... .

Can you balance out the caffeine shakes with a beer?   :)

16 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

He he.  To be honest, there were a few moments when I was trying to get the stencils placed just right that I thought I should free-hand the whole thing using masking tape for the top and bottom edges like you did.  Next time... .

Can you balance out the caffeine shakes with a beer?   :)

I don't/can't drink beer, so no, unfortunately. Good idea though.

Something else I did last week that was on my list was reshape the right shoulder strap and heat/bend the back to better fit me. In my Expert Infantry submission I can see the strap and back issue. I'm much happier with it now.

fKyAY0Ll.jpg?1

Before. 

81fGUCpl.jpg?1

After. Much better.

• Like 2

I purchased the holster from AP. The straps that connect it to the belt are black so I went to a local craft store, bought a piece of leather, cut it, punched it and installed the new straps to the holster.

I've been reading through the Centurion checklists and hadn't seen this detail. Good to know!

On 12/21/2017 at 7:15 AM, wook1138 said:

Great news, Sean.  I'm sure it will happen before Feb.  You'll probably be Centurion by Feb ;)

I'm not tying to be a narcissist by quoting myself... just sayin'.

• Like 1

I put my application in for Centurion yesterday. Glad to get this in before I start work on the 29th. Hopefully I won't need to do much or anything to be approved. Fingers crossed. 

On a surprising note, I finally got an email from Anovos saying they are finally issuing a refund. It only took 3 months. They are saying I will see it in 2-5 days. I guess on their timeframe that means about another month. Ha. I will believe it when I see it.

Edited by Sean