Wook's First Build - ANH Stunt TK (AP)

wook1138

Great job on the paintwork!

One question on your shoulder straps ... did you fill the back of the first bump on the straps with abs scraps?

I ask because without filling the back, you have a large void with either air or glue back there. This is a weak spot, and the strap might come loose after some troops.

If the back of the strap (large first bump) is filled & E6000'd level with abs straps and left to dry, then glue the strap to your chest plate, it'll never move. 

3 minutes ago, 68Brick said:

Great job on the paintwork!

One question on your shoulder straps ... did you fill the back of the first bump on the straps with abs scraps?

I ask because without filling the back, you have a large void with either air or glue back there. This is a weak spot, and the strap might come loose after some troops.

If the back of the strap (large first bump) is filled & E6000'd level with abs straps and left to dry, then glue the strap to your chest plate, it'll never move. 

No I didn't.  I thought about adding some scraps and decided to just glue the strap on with lots of E-6000.  Filling the void with E-6000 is a great idea.  If (when?) they do come loose, then I will certainly try this.  Thanks!

Yeah, without the scraps in the void, there isn't much gluing surface. I can't predict when they'll come loose, but they will. And they will at the least opportune time (3 minutes before your troop starts :56pullhair:).

You're better off peeling them off now and re-gluing them (providing you used E6000 in the first place).

9 hours ago, 68Brick said:

You're better off peeling them off now and re-gluing them (providing you used E6000 in the first place).

Yeah, I guess it has been about 72 hours since I had to tear something apart and re-glue it - so I'm due.  It pains me, as those were a bugger to get lined up.  I guess good advice is not always good news :salute:

Thanks!

So I have a question about the belt - I think I messed something up.  I used the measurements for drilling the holes in the ab as provided by ukswrath and others on this site - and I'm fairly close as far as i can tell.  I centered everything.  I've marked where the ABS connecting rivets will go and where the snaps should go (by holding the belt up to the ab).  Now the snap locations are not perfectly centre - which is fine.  But they seem shifted over.  The backs of the female snaps that go on the canvas part of the belt are not completely behind the bump part of the ABS belt (if that makes sense).  Will this cause an issue?  Will the ABS not sit right on the canvas?  I could drill new holes on the ab - which would be the only way to fix this.

8Jbbqp0.jpg?2

21 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Yeah, I guess it has been about 72 hours since I had to tear something apart and re-glue it - so I'm due.  It pains me, as those were a bugger to get lined up.  I guess good advice is not always good news :salute:

Thanks!

Yikes. I didn't fill mine either. I might do that this week. I do have white duct tape in my bin just in case, but... 

Can you just pull up the big flat front part and kinda wedge something in there and fill it with E6000 without pulling it all off? I might try that.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Yikes. I didn't fill mine either. I might do that this week. I do have white duct tape in my bin just in case, but... 

Can you just pull up the big flat front part and kinda wedge something in there and fill it with E6000 without pulling it all off? I might try that.

That's worth a shot. I think I'm gonna steal another one of your ideas, Sean. :)  

• Like 1

The wife has imposed a build-ban until after Christmas.  Something about spending attentive and quality time with family or whatever - I really wasn't listening that carefully as I just downloaded TrooperTalk and was trying to figure it out.  :D

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

• Like 4

The wife has imposed a build-ban until after Christmas.  Something about spending attentive and quality time with family or whatever - I really wasn't listening that carefully as I just downloaded TrooperTalk and was trying to figure it out. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

She obviously doesn’t understand the power of the dark side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually people cut a notch in the elastic when that happens, however your snap looks dead-center of where the elastic should go.

Moving the snap would be the sturdier dolution, but way more work. If you cut around it do you have enough elastic left to hold the dropbox?

39 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Usually people cut a notch in the elastic when that happens, however your snap looks dead-center of where the elastic should go.

Moving the snap would be the sturdier dolution, but way more work. If you cut around it do you have enough elastic left to hold the dropbox?

Dead centre it is. I might try cutting a slot to allow the elastic to wrap around the snap - that was my wife's suggestion. Otherwise, there is not a lot of elastic left after cutting around it - some, but not much. I've seen other builds where a notch is cut - not this bad though.  I really have a talent for buggering things up extra good. :)  

I would loop the elastic around, tape it to the dropbox to see exactly were it interfere with the snap and if it in fact is dead-centre I would follow your wifes suggestion, if not then I would cut a notch out and as long as the elastic is connected it will be fine, you will glue it to the belt anyways....and...is that 1"? The reason I ask is because it looks smaller, hence less material to work with.

Is there any reason you can’t use a wider strap than 1 inch? What about strapping like the shoulder straps where you could get away with a hole dead center and still have material around it. Could you then trim down the strap to 1 inch where it’s off the belt top and bottom to look authentic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I would loop the elastic around, tape it to the dropbox to see exactly were it interfere with the snap and if it in fact is dead-centre I would follow your wifes suggestion, if not then I would cut a notch out and as long as the elastic is connected it will be fine, you will glue it to the belt anyways....and...is that 1"? The reason I ask is because it looks smaller, hence less material to work with.

Actually, now that you mention it - it is 3/4".  I guess I could use something a little wider.

19 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Screen accurate is 1", using that instead should sort it:) 

Thanks!  I just ran out and bought some 1" elastic.  It has been -30°C to -40°C here for a few days - so leaving the house for supplies has become a nuisance - but... you know... for the Empire.  I should be building snowtrooper armour.  I guess I shouldn't complain, it has warmed up to -25 today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Thanks!  I just ran out and bought some 1" elastic.  It has been -30°C to -40°C here for a few days - so leaving the house for supplies has become a nuisance - but... you know... for the Empire.  I should be building snowtrooper armour.  I guess I shouldn't complain, it has warmed up to -25 today. 

Ha ha! Really cold in Toronto too. The thought of a Snowtrooper has crossed my mind several times. Seems appropriate. Grate White North indeed. That 1" elastic should help, I think. I don'y know why I didn't have that problem. Perhaps my girth? Um... Darn you Christmas goodies!

7 hours ago, wook1138 said:

It has been -30°C to -40°C here for a few Days

Yeez.....here in Sweden the winter is absent so far, more like prolonged fall:duimomlaag: altough I wouldn`t want it to be THAT Cold:smiley-sw013: 

3 hours ago, Sean said:

I don'y know why I didn't have that problem. Perhaps my girth? Um... Darn you Christmas goodies!

I think you can enjoy the good life of Christmas with a clear conscience, my bet is that you put the snaps slightly closer together or didn`t trim the edges of the plastic belt as much thus making the drop boxes further apart steering clear of the snaps....or both:)