Wook's First Build - ANH Stunt TK (AP)

wook1138

1 hour ago, Frank1769 said:

I did my tube stripes twice before I gave up and did decal. Yours looked exactly like mine. Never did the tooth pick come across my mind the simplest things. I’ll have to remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, I had read about it a long time ago and forgot until I read it again in Sean's AP build tread (I think it was Sean's thread).  However,it is a bit worrisome just how easy the paint does come off.

yeah, I had read about it a long time ago and forgot until I read it again in Sean's AP build tread (I think it was Sean's thread).  However,it is a bit worrisome just how easy the paint does come off.

I agree it came off way too easy and it did worry me if it got scratched but the decals aren’t much better. I like the paint cause it’s one more thing that “you” did personally to the costume. I haven’t tripped but I doubt anyone but other troops notice deals vs paint.

34 minutes ago, TheSwede said:
51 minutes ago, Sean said:

...here comes that urge to paint again.

Do it...give yourself to the dark side of the force...

Ha ha.  I think it was about the 5th or 6th try at getting the stencil just right on the right-hand tube that I thought, "This is bull-Sith.  I should tell Sean to stick with the decals".  But yeah, go for it. The cleaning up is pretty easy.

"Bull-Sith."  Yeah, I'm hilarious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank1769 said:

I agree it came off way too easy and it did worry me if it got scratched but the decals aren’t much better. I like the paint cause it’s one more thing that “you” did personally to the costume. I haven’t tripped but I doubt anyone but other troops notice deals vs paint.

Oh yeah.  Especially from a distance where most people are going to see you.  But yes, I'm glad I did it.

I don't have any stencils. I might just free hand it. Not the tube stripes though. I have a troop on Thursday and I'm scared I wouldn't be finished before then. Maybe just one at a time. Hmmm.

Man that’s cutting it close. Take it nice and slow

Oh yeah.  Especially from a distance where most people are going to see you.  But yes, I'm glad I did it.

If I could have made one of the attempts work I would have and honestly if the decals I have get messed up I’ll try the paint and tooth pick method.

Right thigh question. The inside half looks low. The lower return edges line up, but it looks off to me. Opinions?

44f8a5e5d61450bf655d5b608a00bd37.jpg

Anyway. I’m gluing the lower half first as the seam is slightly curved to match the return edge. I also put a inner cover strip in. I did curve the cover strip a bit with a hot water bath to help fit when I glue the top half. I’ve redone this piece at least 3 times for various reasons. Mainly, the lesson is don’t build when you are tired

More fine tuning the fit of the torso.  I am moving the placement of the base plate for the outer strap to the posterior to help with butt flare.

c78825c9147588bfa056580aed06e9ce.jpg

Base plate moved and I also gave the ends a little hot water bath to bend them in a little.
6baaba36b9eb86239794cf6e5167137e.jpg

To stiffen up the left ab to kidney seam, I am gluing in some thicker nylon strapping.  I'm not sure if this will help, but I guess we will see.  E-6000 is my ticket to be stupid.
dd96ff1af6329e1ece77c57cb140e762.jpg

I altered the baseplate for the right ab to kidney snap.  I added thicker nylon strapping, moved the baseplate closer to the seam, and attached a thin piece of styrene to the back of the strap for a more rigid connection.  I also ordered some black plastic sheets so I can create a tab and slot connection for the lower part of this seam.  I haven't had much time to work on building the last little while - so I'm not sure when I will get to that. 
f9d7c1319804c2156de9c96d61c06bcb.jpg

Edited by wook1138
add text

19 hours ago, wook1138 said:

To stiffen up the left ab to kidney seam, I am gluing in some thicker nylon strapping.  I'm not sure if this will help, but I guess we will see.  E-6000 is my ticket to be stupid.
dd96ff1af6329e1ece77c57cb140e762.jpg

I like this idea. I think I'm going to try this. My nylon straps have stretched and I do not like the small gap that has been created.

16 hours ago, Sean said:

I like this idea. I think I'm going to try this. My nylon straps have stretched and I do not like the small gap that has been created.

It seems to have worked - or at least it is helping (no picture).  I left a little gap because I'm trying to prevent the ab from subducting under the kidney, but I think it would work well to keep the parts closer together too.  I find that I need to "rough up" the nylon a bit to pre-loosen the fabric.  I've the same issue with the riveted nylon - it stretched more than I thought it would after installation.  I can see me re-doing those split rivets one day. 

Yeah, those split rivets. Hard to find for me. I'd like to redo my straps but can't without split rivets. Hmm. I think if we had return edges on our ab to kidney joins the overlap wouldn't happen. Didn't affect my EIB though and nothing was mentioned for Centurion prep comments either. The gap on the split rivet side is clearly visible in my photos as is the overlap. Good tip about roughing up the nylon.

Greg, have a look at a Centurion approval. There will be some great pics of how the thigh should look. Yes, your cover strip should be cut, and you might be able to cut off the top of the thigh for a smooth look ... but I'd wait on that until you can get kitted up a bit to check spacing between your thighs and your cod.

About the split rivets, they don't need to be functional, they only need to exist. If you can line things up with another method, go for it.

8 minutes ago, 68Brick said:

Greg, have a look at a Centurion approval. There will be some great pics of how the thigh should look. Yes, your cover strip should be cut, and you might be able to cut off the top of the thigh for a smooth look ... but I'd wait on that until you can get kitted up a bit to check spacing between your thighs and your cod.

About the split rivets, they don't need to be functional, they only need to exist. If you can line things up with another method, go for it.

Thanks Brad.  Yeah, I'm not touching those upper edges on the thighs until I know I have everything fitting nice looking right.  I've checked out the Centurion pics - until I get my ammo belt on, it is kind of hard to tell.  I guess if my ammo belt looks totally crooked... well, what is the saying, "fourth time is the charm"?  I'll try to temporarily attach the belt and take a pic sometime this weekend to see what it looks like. 

On 1/11/2018 at 10:53 AM, Sean said:

Yeah, those split rivets. Hard to find for me. I'd like to redo my straps but can't without split rivets. Hmm. I think if we had return edges on our ab to kidney joins the overlap wouldn't happen. Didn't affect my EIB though and nothing was mentioned for Centurion prep comments either. The gap on the split rivet side is clearly visible in my photos as is the overlap. Good tip about roughing up the nylon.

Yeah, the rivets are hard (i.e. impossible) to find locally.  I ordered an extra set from Justjoseph way back before I even received the kit from AP.  I think Pyrates (Aaron?) will be selling them in Canada if you need more.  I checked out some of the other Centurion pics regarding the gaps and overlap - yeah, I'm not as concerned as I once was.  I'm still going to add the tab/slot connection on the right-hand side - I now have the material I need to do it - I just have to find the time :)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 68Brick said:

Looking at status requests... We can do this? Just in case the belt looks crooked. 

tiyorxa.jpg

I hope you are just holding that there with your hand. :blink:

The rivet (closest to camera) has to go on the squared off area at the bottom of the thigh (I can see in the pic that the other side (closest to husky box) is correct).

If you've riveted the one closest to camera in up the side of your thigh, you'll need to remove it and fill the hole with ABS paste.

2 minutes ago, 68Brick said:

I hope you are just holding that there with your hand. :blink:

The rivet (closest to camera) has to go on the squared off area at the bottom of the thigh (I can see in the pic that the other side (closest to husky box) is correct).

If you've riveted the one closest to camera in up the side of your thigh, you'll need to remove it and fill the hole with ABS paste.

Not mine.  I found the pic on a Centurion status request.  Perhaps I read it wrong, but I think it passed.  Regardless, I won't do that. :salute:

So, I tested some of my tweaking.  This is the new left ab to kidney connection - no overlap at all.  All is good.

c741b6dbdcd240f9dc5e93ef0f0a2627.jpg

The connection on the right side rotates when I lift my arm a bit - so I get this.  I haven't added my tab and slot solution, so that should fix this up.
e6dce757f7afa59dddc5c2602a6c4f46.jpg

I adjusted the shoulder straps and this looks a lot better.  the back is much more snug to my body and raised a bit.  I am just snapping in test pieces of strapping to fit - I am doing this alone so it is kind of hard to size.  The wife as had it with the whole process so I guess I need to call a friend.
6dad24bab51cd80f67b1564cae7a1146.jpg

Excuse the seemingly vulgar pose.  I was just checking to make sure the thighs would fit and how much black is showing at the top.  they need some trimming for size (from the back - I've cut away some already but I could stand to remove some more) but otherwise look alright.  I was worried that I glued the inner part too low compared to the outer part, but I think it looks ok.
97d71332ae5fba238842def8619ccd76.jpg

The thighs - just need to do some more trimming at the back for size, and then clean up the upper edges (after final fitting of all armor).
30bf2cabf649dde16b101240d163689e.jpg

Button plates.  Something that I seem to keep forgetting to do.  So I did it tonight.
eafd53060a5263587dcfc6e14534f924.jpg

2ab2d14aa146802125cc8b4bf8f1f901.jpg

random shot from the closet in my office.  Using my toys from the 70's as reference just isn't cutting it.
bd369c7c7e20095c2788d2ef914953ff.jpg

Edited by wook1138
add text
  • Like 1