Bucket Philosophy

Cool! you're getting it!

The indentations on the forearms....Always wondered what they were...Perhaps a number of holes that can accept clip-on attachments like boba-fett style rocket launchers or climbing claws like Batman?

The OII on the back? wow...er....life support contorls??

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to pick a part that I thought about alot it would be the bucket and neck seal. The bucket would contain all the sighting and electronics like a HUD, and the rebreather. The suit would have to be sealed, and the thing pressureized.

Now why on earth did one blaster bolt take em out? And the flunkies in the movie failed marksman training.

I also think that ideal stormtrooper armor is perfect. No flaws. Just like it came from the Blastech factory...(or what ever low bidder won the gov contract) :D:blink:

If I had to pick a part that I thought about alot it would be the bucket and neck seal. The bucket would contain all the sighting and electronics like a HUD, and the rebreather. The suit would have to be sealed, and the thing pressureized.

Now why on earth did one blaster bolt take em out? And the flunkies in the movie failed marksman training.

I think, when reading a description for Space Troopers, that normal Stormtrooper armor has a basic protection from space or something. I don't remember where I read that, though.

It could also be that the armor is just a uniform designed to differentiate the Empire troops from Ewoks and Wookies and whatnot, with no real defensive benefits whatsoever! :o

I dunno though, don't quote me on this.

I think, when reading a description for Space Troopers, that normal Stormtrooper armor has a basic protection from space or something. I don't remember where I read that, though.

It could also be that the armor is just a uniform designed to differentiate the Empire troops from Ewoks and Wookies and whatnot, with no real defensive benefits whatsoever! :o

I dunno though, don't quote me on this.

The Star Wars Visual Dictionary claims that Stormtrooper armor protects them from "the vacuum of space". For short periods anyway. :huh:

Now why on earth did one blaster bolt take em out?

If your shot wearing a bullet proof vest it will still knock you on your a very impolite person, same with being shot by a blaster in TK gear. It may not kill you but it will knock you for six.

Thats my theory anyway, but it could be coz its just a film. :P

but it could be coz its just a film. :P

Yup, that's the best philosophy to have. None of this was intended to make sense, and most of the "back stories" that are created are just fluff and make no sense whatsoever.

I saw the film when ot came out in '77 and prefer to stick with what Lucas wrote and envisioned at the time, not the dross about TK's that was created later.

• 4 years later...

Just a footnote: people respond to facial symmetry very positively. In psychological tests, symmetrical faces are considered prettier than ones that are not, most likely because symmetry is a sign of genetic health. The stormtrooper helmet, were it truly symmetrical, would probably not convey quite the sense of subliminal menace that it does in its current misshapen form.

I'm in general agreement with the post's author that the filmmakers were shooting for an ideal that they lacked the funds or technology to reach completely, but I think that, in this particular case, the movie benefited from it. In fact, I think that one of the real advantages of practical (as opposed to digital) effects is that you end up having to make design compromises that enhance the overall realism of the effect. It's the girl-next-door syndrome applied to imaginary worlds. If they're too perfect, you don't believe they are real.

Don't spend too much time on the asymmetry. It's there and we "feel it" but it's not the reason why we prefer it to other helmets that are mirror symmetrical. The others are just failed attempts to design or sculpt an equally menacing helmet and asymmetry won't help.

The Stormtrooper helmet inflicts a similar effect on us as H.R. Giger's xenomorph. It's a hybrid human-mechanic skull-like face.