Authentic Props Stormtrooper Armour

Hello everyone! 

My name is Devyn. I am 19 years old and live in Canada. I have been wanting to get stormtrooper armour for a while now and I decided that I am going to finally purchase one. I am new to this community and everyone has been a lot of help and given me advice on different armours. I have decided to go with a Authentic Props armour. Anovos and ATA were close but I feel that AP is the best because of all the good comments and that I live in Canada which is where it's made. Even though I have decided which armour I want, I still have a few questions like...

-Is it easy to build? (cut lines)

-Does it come with soft parts, boots, helmet?

-How long will it take?

-Easy to get approved by 501st? Many modifications to do so?

-Pricing/Levels?

Also, does anyone have pictures of the armour on someone? I really haven't seen that many.

Thanks, Devyn

Edited by gibbygilbert48

Hi Devyn, and welcome to FISD. You have already started your research, so you are ahead of the game. I also purchased Mark's AP armor, and I love it.

To answer your questions:

- With the proper tools and a little patience, the armor is not hard to work with. AP is nice and sturdy, so a little effort is needed, but you will find it is easier as you get used to it.

- My armor set came with the helmet and body parts. Soft parts and boots had to be purchased separately. You can get a lot of recommendations on suppliers to check out on the forums here.

- How long depends on your knowledge of the tools you use, and the spare time that you have. :)  As a complete newbie, it took me about two months to put mine together. I had spent quite a few months prior to that just reading through different armor threads, trying to be sure I understood how it all worked. Although you purchased AP, almost any thread will give you the general knowledge that you need. Each armor has its own quirks, and you will pick that up in the threads as well. 

- Again, approval depends on how much attention you put into your build. I was able to get approved for the 501st as soon as my armor was done, with no "mods" needed. 

- Pricing is up to the supplier - only Mark can answer that. 

My recommendations are to research, research, research here. Learn all you can before that big brown box shows up on your doorstep. Ask questions, use the search function, and learn all you can. When it does show up, start a thread in the Armor Build area, and ask more questions. Post pictures as you go. You will find there are several troopers here that will be more than happy to help and make recommendations.

Depending on what part of Canada you are in, see if you can find the local garrison and attend an armor party. You can get hands on help in that case, and its always fun to meet the people you will be trooping with in the future. 

Best of luck!

Welcome to the FISD!

Not much to add to the great info you just got but to say check out the Advanced Tactics section and look at some Centurion application's that used AP. It will be in these [ ]. Aiming for Centurion is easier from the start rather then modding later. The benefits show, trust me!

Just take your time. You doing your best makes Us look our best!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Centurion is the highest level of movie accurate.Which is above Expert Infantry which is the first level of achievement. It's all in section. We are all brothers and sisters but it is nice when a fan tells you how awesome you look. Then it is worth the effort. For the fans to feel you walked off the screen.

• Like 1

After doing my research for many months, waiting for anovos to send my tk kit I've come to the same conclusion.  I'm going straight for centurion level. That way I get the best looking armor without spending extra time and money later to make it look as good as can be. I'll be spending my time and money building a second.  Probably a TD. Sandtrooper. 

Good luck, and read a lot of tutorials while you wait. 

I have an AP, and it's fairly easy to build. One of the issues I had was how the left shin is slightly misaligned, so when you glue the sniper plate, it'll be crooked. There is a workaround for this. No other issues. If you are skinny like I am, you are gonna have a lot of trimming to do (I am 180lbs), but it was the best armor I could get since I am 6'1"

Good luck!

Edited by Albaz

Hello and welcome aboard.

A lot of our Garrisons TK came from AP. And no issues with them. They are easy to build and looks great. You will not regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Albaz said:

I have an AP, and it's fairly easy to build. One of the issues I had was how the left shin is slightly misaligned, so when you glue the sniper plate, it'll be crooked. There is a workaround for this. No other issues. If you are skinny like I am, you are gonna have a lot of trimming to do (I am 180lbs), but it was the best armor I could get since I am 6'1"

Good luck!

Yep.... I've just ran into this exact same problem!  I had to get rid of the entire return edge on the bottom and even sand away at the corners (slightly) to get it to sit "flush".  Held down with about 8 clamps and gorilla duct tape... now it looks great!

I'm currently building my armor as well and it's AP.  Mark was very thorough with his order and mine arrived earlier than expected.  I've just finished the strapping and I'm making the belt and Thermal Detonator... once this is finished it's submission time! :D I intend to go full centurion as well!!!!

I will also say this... if you get stuck with a piece set it down and work on something else and come back to it at a later time.  Take your time and do not rush things :) 

My siggy below has the link to mine and I'm going to be updating it shortly (possibly this weekend).  I've got about 20 or so photos that i'm having to sort through and fix to prep for adding to my thread.

I will also say this, I have experienced a slight problem with only a few of the stickers Mark sent, obviously, on the bucket cheek traps.  Slight wrinkle, but it's nice for right now.  Once it comes off I'll paint it on.  NOW the only other sticker I had a problem with is the blue ab button.  That sticker does not want to stay and has come off so I am painting that one on.  

As others have said, soft goods I do not think there was an option for.  I DO REMEMBER however, there was an option for pieces already cut or not cut.  The price was a LOT more for the already "trimmed" pieces so I opted to trim/form them myself... and glad I did lol.  Of course I did get a kit, which included a untrimmed helmet.  Was fairly simple to put together, but it was nerve wrecking lol (did not want to ruin anything)

No complaints on mine, it's been great to work on and I just love how it's turning out!  Good luck out there :D 

Edited by Btabc

Welcome aboard!  First things first, below is my build thread that I hope can be of some value.  As if building one set of armor wasn't enough, we're tackling 3! 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42075-fencingcorvettetroopers-triple-trooper-build-ap-anh-stunt/

But, they're all AP and so far, it's been great.  As noted, there are a couple of quirks, but Mark has been FANTASTIC with providing insight and information to supplement what we've seen on various build threads.  Given the time we had available and the fact that there were three suits to build, we opted for the slightly more expensive pre-trimmed kit in order to provide us a good head start.  At this time, the only additional work or mod we have to do is some additional trimming for one of the suits, as my brother is slightly shorter and thinner than my son and I (we're 5'10", 170-180 and he's 5'6", 150).

As others have stated, we are building with Centurion in mind as well, and Mark's kits are all easily approved at that level as long as you build to those CRL requirements.  Looking forward to having another AP TK join the ranks!  Good luck, have fun and don't be afraid to ask any questions!

• 2 years later...

I would suggest having a look through some of the build threads, many post what they use in the helmets and armor in regards to electronics ;)