Sean's WTF ANH stunt build (first time builder!)

Seansull

Hey Sean,

Can you post a picture of the side of the bucket? I am working on my WTF and want to make sure of placement before I drill the rivit locations.

Lou

3 hours ago, LTM said:

Hey Sean,

Can you post a picture of the side of the bucket? I am working on my WTF and want to make sure of placement before I drill the rivit locations.

Lou

Yes Lou.  I have a ton of photos that I have been trying to post, but was limited by the site max kb.  I'm in the process of uploading everything to google photos, then I should be able to post everything.  I'll try to get them posted ASAP.

Thanks!

Yes Lou.  I have a ton of photos that I have been trying to post, but was limited by the site max kb.  I'm in the process of uploading everything to google photos, then I should be able to post everything.  I'll try to get them posted ASAP.

Thanks!

Hiya,
The Tapatalk app is a really easy way to upload your forum posts, if you’ve not tried it. Makes uploading images really easy. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya,

The Tapatalk app is a really easy way to upload your forum posts, if you’ve not tried it. Makes uploading images really easy. :-)

Listen to the cable guy. It took me a bit to get on tapatalk, but it has solved many issues for me. The build is looking great. Still waiting on my ANOVOS kit, but it should be coming anytime now.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have discovered that assembling the armor is only 1/2 the battle. Fitting/adjusting everything is a whole new endeavor. I think I finally have my arms the way I want them for now.
08a76d580ada758fa7b260d2dd5735cc.jpg2a7939adfe7f99d037577c53416fcc3b.jpg

As you can see in the second photo, I decided to lower the cod area by .7 inches. This made a world of difference in overall fit!

At this point, everything is built, it’s just needs to be assembled and tweaked.

Here are a couple of 98% finished bucket photos....
eeb72b63d7b97d8fcace002129210328.jpg248fb3da9fe0853329affb0e426b3402.jpgf926c4c8135c47566816b290aa7aa528.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 2

Well done Sean. It could just be a photo issue but it looks as if some of the cover strips may be extending past the armor, specifically on the biceps. 

Helmet looks awesome.

Well done Sean. It could just be a photo issue but it looks as if some of the cover strips may be extending past the armor, specifically on the biceps. 

Helmet looks awesome.
Tony yea at least the left bicep looks that way to me as well.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I basically finished, fitted, and adjusted my TK this past weekend. I decided to make some finishing touches before final polishing my entire armor.

What happens next is horrifying!!! In my infinite wisdom, I decided to put a drop of thread lock on the strapping bracket nuts. Upon returning to the garage today, I am completely devastated. My midsection armor is ruined.

Apparently, the micro amount of thread lock that came in contact with the plastic had a violent reaction over time. It’s has shattered the plastic around most of my strapping screws.

Here are some pictures....
f1b8d1c248a5b580f0ef115b54b028a8.jpg

601c832a05f66a251969890fa4fb0aa8.jpg

1d4acc61d1d9f3478ed0b8a3caec3c69.jpg

db75b80383309494c7b19456bf107dde.jpg

6fed25f7f0a1c7fc579673c89b97890a.jpg

Needless to say, I’m not sure where to go from here. I think all of the flanges will have to be reinforced with ABS, followed by extensive ABS paste filling, sanding, and polishing. I glued one chunk of the back plate corner back on but the remaining pieces just crumbled.

I am asking myself many questions right now....

Is it even possible to recreate a large section like this with paste? Will a fix like that hold up long term?

After I try to repair everything, is my armor going to be so beat up that it looks crappy? (I was going for a new polished TK look)

If I order new parts, I’m looking at 2 months minimum and a lot of extra $.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE THREAD LOCK ON YOUR HARDWARE.

I will be using a dab of paste on V2.0 when I decide what that is.

Thanks for allowing a frustrated Builder to vent.

Sean

Man that is a downer, not seen this issue before.

So fixes, as you say you could try to add pieces of ABS behind those sections, glue then fill the outer cracks with ABS paste. It will be a lot of work, trying to sand flush and polish back to a nice finish. I doubt it will be 100% perfect, normally you can still see a little difference with the ABS paste BUT it's worth a try.

I find that ABS paste is great for small areas but does not seem as strong over larger sections.

If all else fails you still have the option of replacement pieces.

Wishing you good luck with this, hope you have some success.

understatement but that sucks! I would immediately contact Rocky at WTF and ask if they have any replacements (at your cost) or other solutions as well. See if Walt can help first. 

I guess a TD or HWT may be in my future.....haha.  I'll play with it. I am going to boil some abs reinforcement pieces and form fit to the inside before gluing.  Then, the ABS paste hell will begin.  My biggest concern is the missing back corner (I'll have to totally recreate that), and getting enough gloss on everything to blend the repairs.

According to Rocky, it will probably be cheaper to buy an entire kit and build/sell the helmet to offset the cost.  However, with all of the mods I had to make for my size, if I start at square one, an RT-Mod kit might be a better option. Either route, I'm looking at a number of months before I could have the parts.

Such a frustrating scenario to have to contemplate.

Edited by Seansull

Repairs going better than expected. I reinforced all of the return edges where brackets will be reinstalled. The extra ABS served as a nice base for paste touch up. I am particularly pleased with the broken back corner fix.

Everything is rough sanded and ready for polishing phase. Here are do. Photos of the repair so far.

38d5f36b157522ab482e0a6b1cea986d.jpg8984964b328316846bb9dcb7847ef377.jpgf6ede9a7c67d6217dd769ceec2d68796.jpgb57ba1c46d453818486f30d36ca25c28.jpga140ad612e9ee7f54a043c3727893147.jpg

It won’t be a fresh off the assembly line TK, but that might be nice.

• Like 1

Repairs going better than expected. I reinforced all of the return edges where brackets will be reinstalled. The extra ABS served as a nice base for paste touch up. I am particularly pleased with the broken back corner fix.

Everything is rough sanded and ready for polishing phase. Here are do. Photos of the repair so far.

38d5f36b157522ab482e0a6b1cea986d.jpg8984964b328316846bb9dcb7847ef377.jpgf6ede9a7c67d6217dd769ceec2d68796.jpgb57ba1c46d453818486f30d36ca25c28.jpga140ad612e9ee7f54a043c3727893147.jpg

It won’t be a fresh off the assembly line TK, but that might be nice.

Wow that looks really good. I’m impressed! Almost back on track.

My repairs are complete and I’m pretty pleased with the results. One thing for sure, my bracket system is way stronger now.

Here are a few overview photos of the major repair areas.

052346365d63e4b06794961616d29d12.jpg2313fdbb4164f66e89f827d445786405.jpgba73b2832d9ead5079651176922758da.jpg

At this point all I lack is abdominal button paint, and my replacement knee ammo pouch from rocky. As soon at that arrives, I’ll submit for pre approval.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Wow nice work! I'm really impressed with your repairs.

Also this feedback is coming late, and it's just personal preference, but your ears seem a bit thick to me. Reference photos here: http://starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

7 minutes ago, Seansull said:

I just realized I've been posting my build in the general ANH form not builder pages.  Can a mod move this to the correct place?

Thanks!

Done!

• Like 1