Helmet brow trim -- where and how to cut it

A.J. Hamler

I've been looking at the archives and OT screen shots, and comparing to current troopers' helmets from 501st photos and the build threads, and have two questions about how the black brow trim on the helmet is cut --- is there any hard-and-fast rule about...

1)...how you cut the ends?  I've seen them cut square/vertical, and I've seen them cut at an angle -- sometimes at the same angle as the back edge of that first trap, sometimes at other angles.  If there's no rule, I'm assuming it's just a matter personal taste.  

2) ... where exactly the end of the trim should be?  In screenshots and modern day troopers and the builds here, I see it all over the place: even with the back edge of the trap, just beyond the back edge of the trap, somewhere between the middle and back edge of the trap, etc & etc.  Again, any rule to this?

Thanks!

A.J.

I don't think there are any rules about how to cut it.

I made mine follow the angle of the trap. It gives it a clean look. I've seen some cutting it straight too. It's a preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

I’ve always understood this to be a preference thing, since screen references show the brow trim ends angled and cut in all different ways. Interested to hear what the DOs say. Here’s what I did:

50695761567_eeb3634a34_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I’ve always understood this to be a preference thing, since screen references show the brow trim ends angled and cut in all different ways. Interested to hear what the DOs say. Here’s what I did:

50695761567_eeb3634a34_o.jpg

I agree that looks better but I was impatient and cut mine at a 90° angle and a little shorter since I believe I saw that most often.

• Like 1

No doubt the DO's will chime in when they have time but just to add some images to this thread for others who may be interested, going on past EIB feedback the brow trim is angled cut following the trap. What also comes up quite a lot is the brow trim to stop before or at the end of the trap and not going any further.

This is one of those items that we see all different examples of, cut angled, cut straight, stops at the edge of the trap, stops before.

Here's just a few images from the DO's used references

cdQh0Oa.jpg?2  qsArnTf.jpg?1  z2qWgDL.jpg?1  2hTGbQy.jpg?1  eHvOe3J.jpg?1  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2  Zv2GgW5.jpg  3AEYmqw.jpg      P3XfbwR.png    QnJoTZ4.png

EIB suggested trimming by DO's

07IXO0K.jpg?1 yE5xuk7.jpg?1   PqTXpTa.jpg    ps0FjHB.jpg 

I06HP14.jpg  vuZPYIC.jpg    fLrO3qQ.jpg   hWznzCs.jpg 

O2ojJae.jpg   PtgcApS.jpg           

Personally I prefer the angled cut at the end of the trap as it's a cleaner look

• Like 1

It has been a preference thing for a long time. Mine are cut vertically as per the reference images I used at the time. We use multiple frown paint references as an example, with the only stipulation being keep the paint off the gums, I see the brow trim as no different with so many references showing a few variations.

As long as you don't cut it too short in length and it doesn't look good/right, then everything should be fine.

Also note that the last image shared above is cut vertical and not angled and states perfect, so angle or straight you are good to go.

• Like 1

I usually suggest that it be squared off (or at least angled) with the rear line of the trap, as all the references seem to point that way.  A bit too short is better than a bit too long and an easy fix.

Note on a lot of ESB buckets that it was VERY short.  Since many were re-used from ANH, I chalk this down to shrinkage in the 3 years they sat in storage.

On the 50+ new buckets made for ROTJ they left it quite a bit longer, extending beyond the rear trap line.

ANH 

kv5HTTy.png?1  w7IfWkF.jpg?1  ASEKfOp.jpg?1

ESB

ShLR5gS.jpg?1  7Hrp29Z.jpg?1  cSpRikb.jpg?1

ROTJ

7LfyjAk.jpg?1  H9ymUEs.jpg?1  t25eSjA.jpg?1  FqUjULM.jpg?1  sKxMiA2.jpg?1  gKwLCRd.jpg?1

12 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I personally prefer the squared off end, (see references above), but either is fine.  It's all a matter of preference, and as long as it doesn't extend beyond the trap line (for ANH ESB) It's all good!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Reviving this old post again like Justin did in January to get a ruling for L3 purposes. @Deployment Officer Team would you guys simply mention the straight cuts on a Centurion app, or would it actually hold up approval? In reading this thread, and especially in light of the lined photos by past DOs that Glen posted above, I was thinking that angled cuts would be fine for L3. However, the more recent (May) discussion on Luca's ESB conversion leads me to believe that the brow trim would need to be cut straight vertically. Then again, it wasn't mentioned on his EI app with notes for Centurion.

Asking for a friend. A friend that hopes to submit this Fall. Who actually already replaced his angled trim with straight-cut trim, rendering this a possibly moot question anyway. :smiley-sw013: