Installing Wyatts cloth Imperial gaskets to FOTK undersuit

ukswrath

In this HOW TO I'll be illustrating how to modify and attach Wyatt's Imperial cloth gaskets to a FOTK under suit from stormtrooperundersuit.com.  

After receiving my gaskets from Wyatt my first impression was they appeared flat in thickness in comparison to the rubber gaskets. No disrespect to Wyatt's wife for making these excellent gaskets however, being I can never leave well enough alone I decided to add to the perfection and increase their thickness. 

Something that also frustrated me about most the gaskets out there was having to buckle the left and right arms together or velcro the gasket to the armor. I wanted something that would basically be part of the under suit itself so that I could step into my armor with less effort, like with a OT TK. To do this I found it easier to just sew the Imperial gaskets directly to the under suit. 

Items needed:

Cloth Imperial Gaskets

Under suit form stormtrooperundersuit.com

2" x 6" black Velcro (sew in type)

2 yards of 1/2" polyester filler

2 yards of fabric backing to seal in the filler

Tools:

Scissors

Exacto or similar (split seams)

Fabric pencil or similar

Sewing machine

Imperial gaskets

IMG_20150714_124738202_zps9iubd7tt.jpg

IMG_20150520_130017_555%201_zpsliakx35j.

Stormtrooperundersuit.com under suit

Undersuit.jpg

Starting with the legs, measure, cut and sew filler and backing to underside of knee gaskets.

IMG_7128.jpgIMG_7132.jpg 

Next, remove stitching from shoulder gaskets seems

IMG_7146.jpg

Sew in filler and backing.

IMG_7147.jpgIMG_7148.jpgIMG_7149_1.jpg

With the shoulder gaskets turned inside out, sew the seams together that you separated earlier.

IMG_7625.jpgIMG_7626_1.jpg 

Before

IMG_7150_1.jpg

After. Notice any difference?

IMG_7151.jpg

Returning to the legs.

Locate the center of the leg gaskets.

IMG_5427.jpg

Cut a 2" x 2-1/2" section of velcro. Note This only applies if you currently have velcro retaining your knee cap armor. If not you may want to switch or find a way to incorporate your mount into the gaskets. 

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

Place the velcro on the fabric and outline

IMG_5428.jpgIMG_5429.jpg

Sew in place

IMG_5430.jpg

At this point there's two ways you can go here, either sew the seams together creating a round gasket where the outer diameter is the same at the top and bottom, or you can taper it, like the shape of your leg.

If you want to taper it, using a fabric tape ruler measure the upper and lower legs where the gaskets will reside when finished. Cut the fabric accordingly giving yourself 1/2" extra for the sewing seam. Another way to do this is to turn the gasket inside out, wrap it around your leg overlapping one side, using a fabric pencil mark the over lapped section. Don't forget to add 1/2" for seam.  

IMG_7133.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

Sew the seam.

IMG_7140.jpg

After

IMG_7141.jpgIMG_7143.jpg

With the armor knee cap.

IMG_5444.jpgIMG_5443.jpg

With under suit

IMG_5437.jpgIMG_5439.jpgIMG_5442.jpgIMG_5438.jpg

With armor, test fit

IMG_5432.jpgIMG_5434.jpg

Ready to sew in place

IMG_7633.jpg

Install leg and shoulder gaskets. Mark under suit and gasket locations.

IMG_7630-crop.jpg

IMG_7154-cropb.jpg

IMG_7631-crop.jpgIMG_7632-crop.jpg

Sew in place. Cut of shoulder gasket connecting straps as they are no longer needed

After, front side

IMG_7643.jpgIMG_7644.jpgIMG_7645.jpg

After, back side

IMG_7646.jpg

Finished

IMG_7639.jpgIMG_7636.jpgIMG_7641.jpgIMG_7642.jpg

FB_IMG_1458505605297.jpg

I'll try to get a few more pictures with better angles.

• Like 9

Nice! Awesome modification, easy to follow tutorial.  I like!  :jc_doublethumbup:  

Side note - Nice closet/fitting room :lol:

Thanks

Man cave AKA wife's old office  :laugh1:

How are you attaching the forearms, biceps, shins? They stay put without any Velcro?

Biceps and thighs are connected to the armor suspension system. Forearms are floating. Shins are attached to the front of the boots with velcro. 

Aha - so you did sew in place! I was thinking of having the same thing done though your method is far better than what I was thinking. Awesome tutorial!

• Like 1

Aha - so you did sew in place! I was thinking of having the same thing done though your method is far better than what I was thinking. Awesome tutorial!

Yep lol. Thanks Paul

Speaking of making life easier (for me)....

Any tutorial on making "BIGGER" cloth gaskets for plus size troopers?   

I have a friend that wants to know.    :D

Always fresh new ideas from UKwraths!!<br>

Very nice to see you always modifying things. No shame in this idea and to each his own, but this new idea looks like a sweaty mess waiting to happen.<br>

Out here in the desert heat, we have started to minimize undersuits.<br>

Somtimes just wearing the gaskets alone with only a pair of shorts on.<br>

There really is no need for a undersuit when everything is pretty much covered with armor and gaskets. The only visual part would be the crotch area, and for that we can just use a nice pair of black shorts.<br>

So this is a option for those troopers that armor up in colder areas as opposed to troopers in hotter temperatures.

Always fresh new ideas from UKwraths!!<br>

Very nice to see you always modifying things. No shame in this idea and to each his own, but this new idea looks like a sweaty mess waiting to happen.<br>

Out here in the desert heat, we have started to minimize undersuits.<br>

Somtimes just wearing the gaskets alone with only a pair of shorts on.<br>

There really is no need for a undersuit when everything is pretty much covered with armor and gaskets. The only visual part would be the crotch area, and for that we can just use a nice pair of black shorts.<br>

So this is a option for those troopers that armor up in colder areas as opposed to troopers in hotter temperatures.

Oh yea I don't envy you desert folks. I'm kinda used to the undersuit but I also pick and choose whether or not to submit my self to tortuous heat. I have two undersuits from this manufacturer. They're actually pretty cool IMO. Again, hats off your you guys in LV  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:

• 3 weeks later...

Cool in hindsite but......how do you wash your undersuit then if everything is sewn to the body suit? I leave my fabulous, as is Rhonda gaskets attached to the calves with velcroe and then attach it to the thighs when I'm ready to wear them. I added an elastic strap with a snap to the bottom of each shoulder gasket then snap them into the side of the AB/ backplate. Holds really well.

Edited by TK265

Cool in hindsite but......how do you wash your undersuit then if everything is sewn to the body suit? I leave my fabulous, as is Rhonda gaskets attached to the calves with velcroe and then attach it to the thighs when I'm ready to wear them. I added an elastic strap with a snap to the bottom of each shoulder gasket then snap them into the side of the AB/ backplate. Holds really well.

Hand wash. Hang Dry. Neither the under suit or the gaskets attach to any armor pieces, the armor rests on top. 

• Like 1

Machine wash, hang to dry.

Machine wash on delicate, hang out to dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't think sewing it to a shirt is necessary.

It's just another option, different strokes for different folks I like to say. There's now two less buckles and one less thing for a handle to deal with. Just slip on the suit, then armor and go. 

• 1 year later...