Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

It's a pretty small piece to fill in. I'm almost looking forward to the challenge! :) It's only after EIB, so it's not something we need to do right away, at least.

Are you sure you don't have pieces 22x22? The surface texture can be made fairly irrelevant if you use ABS paste and sand it perfectly smooth. I've seen others get a mirror finish over ABS paste, so it must be possible.

Regardless be sure to save all of your scrap. You never know how much color-matched ABS paste you're going to need down the road!

The problem is my only smooth piece of scrap I have that is smooth is only as long as to the top of the notch

Sent from my Imperial communicator using Tapatalk

Also that requirement seems strange since the notch looks much better lining up with the butt plate

Just sayin'

I know it seems trivial and for the most part I agree. Unfortunately it is what it is at the moment, sorry peeps

• Like 2

I know it seems trivial and for the most part I agree. Unfortunately it is what it is at the moment, sorry peeps

I wish it were otherwise, but it's not a big deal. I can do this! :D
  • Like 2

I wish it were otherwise, but it's not a big deal. I can do this! :D

Yes we can!!!!

Jar? ABS? Acetone? Check, check, check.......Goooo!!!!

• Like 3

Hi Tony. Your thread has been extremely helpful throughout my build, so first. Thank you.

I was wondering about shin height placement on my leg. Should the top of the shin line up with the bottom of my knee cap?

Thanks

Jon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi Tony. Your thread has been extremely helpful throughout my build, so first. Thank you.

I was wondering about shin height placement on my leg. Should the top of the shin line up with the bottom of my knee cap?

Thanks

Jon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hey Jon, it should line up with the bottom of the thigh or even over lap it.

• Like 1

For those of you still in the market for 2" white elastic for the shoulders, I ordered the only huge roll available on Amazon.

I don't mind cutting it up into 8" long pairs for others, after a nominal fee to cover my time and shipping. Probably no more than $1.

PM me if interested.

PM sent ;)

Internal strapping question. I have an abs sheet that is thin that I have applied a couple of snaps to it. I noticed that the snap post doesn't seem to sit flush with the abs when done. Will this effect the ability of E600 to get a good bite? I am including a photo of my test glue up on one.

Should I just use elastic on all snaps and apply them to the armor that way too? This is what I was thinking. b35860223df01efce547c42fb3a2ece3.jpg

I basically got my measurements using the Velcro supplied by anovos but now I want to make things a bit more permanent as I will be trooping with my local garrison a bit soon.

71e687853896c685ccf611d871753d1b.jpg

Thoughts? Help? That ANOVOS Velcro worked for about four troops. Lol. So I definitely need to do this now.

Sent using Imperial channels via Tapatalk

Internal strapping question. I have an abs sheet that is thin that I have applied a couple of snaps to it. I noticed that the snap post doesn't seem to sit flush with the abs when done. Will this effect the ability of E600 to get a good bite? I am including a photo of my test glue up on one.

Should I just use elastic on all snaps and apply them to the armor that way too? This is what I was thinking. b35860223df01efce547c42fb3a2ece3.jpg

I basically got my measurements using the Velcro supplied by anovos but now I want to make things a bit more permanent as I will be trooping with my local garrison a bit soon.

71e687853896c685ccf611d871753d1b.jpg

Thoughts? Help? That ANOVOS Velcro worked for about four troops. Lol. So I definitely need to do this now.

Sent using Imperial channels via Tapatalk

Hey Chris, check out my post on Countersinking snaps, it may help you  :D

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36142-countersinking-snaps/

• Like 2

Hey Chris, check out my post on Countersinking snaps, it may help you :D

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36142-countersinking-snaps/

Awesome!!! That totally was where I started going too I just wasn't sure if it would work or not. I'm gonna try the boiling water method as well.

I didn't think that gluing the black strapping directly to the armor would work that well. I have not seen that done yet.

791c514579bb3032f0f64de5cf3782e1.jpg

Awesome!!! That totally was where I started going too I just wasn't sure if it would work or not. I'm gonna try the boiling water method as well.

I didn't think that gluing the black strapping directly to the armor would work that well. I have not seen that done yet.

791c514579bb3032f0f64de5cf3782e1.jpg

I have heard that glueing the black strapping with snap attached straight to the armor with E6000 works too but have not tried this myself so can't vouch for it!

Also that requirement seems strange since the notch looks much better lining up with the butt plate

Just sayin'

Agreed. Especially since the whole point of the notches is to get the back plate to line up with the butt plate. Seems silly to require the notch be moved entirely away from the butt plate. But, as has been stated, it is what it is.

• Like 1

Agreed. Especially since the whole point of the notches is to get the back plate to line up with the butt plate. Seems silly to require the notch be moved entirely away from the butt plate. But, as has been stated, it is what it is.

This is a great topic that can be debated on the Anovos discussion thread.  :D  :duim:

• Like 1

Regarding the Kidney notch/shim situation, from a film production standpoint, if you were in charge of wardrobe on set and had to accommodate troopers with different sized waists I think one of two things would happen:

1. Extend each side and leave the notch as-is.

2. Split the back, widen it and reshape the sides.

I highly doubt that production would take the time to deal with covering up the current notch, shimming, and making a new notch. It's just too time and labor intensive for something that is never really seen on screen. As we all have learned - these suits were pretty much thrown together and never intended to be heavily scrutinized. There was no home video when Star Wars came out so they were more free to do what they had to do to get stuff on screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the Kidney notch/shim situation, from a film production standpoint, if you were in charge of wardrobe on set and had to accommodate troopers with different sized waists I think one of two things would happen:

1. Extend each side and leave the notch as-is.

2. Split the back, widen it and reshape the sides.

I highly doubt that production would take the time to deal with covering up the current notch, shimming, and making a new notch. It's just too time and labor intensive for something that is never really seen on screen. As we all have learned - these suits were pretty much thrown together and never intended to be heavily scrutinized. There was no home video when Star Wars came out so they were more free to do what they had to do to get stuff on screen.

This is a great topic that can be debated on the Anovos discussion thread.   :D   :duim:

• Like 2

7f. Thigh Ammo Pack installation

In this section I'll be installing the thigh ammo pack. The thigh ammo pack is located on the right thigh for those who do not know this. By this time your ammo pack should be trimmed and ready to install except for creating the mounting hole. I'll be using Cap rivets to mount the belt to the thigh.

Reference images

gallery_12157_59_38956.jpggallery_12157_59_273.jpggallery_12157_59_55140%201.jpg

Ammo pack after trimming

IMG_7184.jpg

Starting with the left side of the thigh lower return edge, measure approximately 1/4" from the back left corner forward. Note: The goal here is to center the ammo pack rear edges on the thigh. You should have an equal distance between the left and right rear corners of the thigh and the ammo pack. The front of the ammo belt will not be centered with the cover which is normal.

IMG_7186b.jpg

Drill 1/8" holes at the predetermined location set by Anovos

IMG_7185.jpg

Install cap rivet to secure the left side ammo pack to the left side of the thigh

Inside view

IMG_7188.jpg

Outer view

IMG_7202.jpg

Wrap ammo pack around the front of the thigh. Mark the thigh through the ammo pack mounting hole. Drill the mounting hole in thigh then secure the right side with a cap rivet.

Inside view

IMG_7190.jpg

Outer

IMG_7201.jpg

Paint. Using white paint, paint the outer rivet heads

IMG_7207.jpgIMG_7206.jpg

Final note, the ammo pack can be straight or angled upward a bit. Either way is accepted at all levels of approval. You might also want to add a dab of E6000 between the thigh and ammo pack as well to help prevent the ammo pack from falling down over time.

Done!

Tony, just a quick couple of questions on the thigh ammo pack:

1) back edges are centered, NOT the ammo packs themselves, right? Would it be unacceptable to center the middle pack on the cover strip?, because my OCD really wants that

2) What is a cap rivet? What you installed looks like small Chicago screws to me but I can't tell. Is there a downside to using the Anovos supplied split rivets?

This is probably obvious to you experienced builders, but us first timers don't find all of these details to be so obvious

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey Tony, looking at your thigh pieces, I noticed I maybe have made a mistake. Looks like on my left thigh I trimmed too much of the outer half, so the inner half has that flat part up top. They look fine when I have them on and fit perfectly, just wondering if that's ok or I should figure out a way to fix it.

Hi Tony.  I just recently posted on my FB page.   Otherwise, i wish to let you know my Anovos TK build was completed last March 31st.

I received the (pleasantly surprising) basic approval from GGG April 1st.   :smiley-sw013:

I wish to express my undying gratitude to you.  You have been instrumental to my journey.  Your instructions are a million times better than those supplied by Anovos (which I hardly referenced since I discovered your build thread, since I came to know you).

Your patience with and answering noob questions is amazing, your coolness in light of spirited dissenting opinions is impressive.  As precious as your time is, you unselfishly shared it with us.

You truly embody the spirit of Troopers helping (in this case, would-be) Troopers.

Let me say that knowing you (and some of my new friends from GGG) made me not only want to finish the armor, but be really a part of the 501st.

I'm sure I share this sense of gratefulness with countless others who were (or are still) in a similar journey as I was.

Cheers to UKSWRATH! 

thanks%20ukswrath_zps79i7vtjn.jpg

Edited by RickyBoyBlue
  • Like 3

Hey Tony, looking at your thigh pieces, I noticed I maybe have made a mistake. Looks like on my left thigh I trimmed too much of the outer half, so the inner half has that flat part up top. They look fine when I have them on and fit perfectly, just wondering if that's ok or I should figure out a way to fix it.

Hey Hector do you have a picture?

Hi Tony.  I just recently posted on my FB page.   Otherwise, i wish to let you know my Anovos TK build was completed last March 31st.

I received the (pleasantly surprising) basic approval from GGG April 1st.   :smiley-sw013:

I wish to express my undying gratitude to you.  You have been instrumental to my journey.  Your instructions are a million times better than those supplied by Anovos (which I hardly referenced since I discovered your build thread, since I came to know you).

Your patience with and answering noob questions is amazing, your coolness in light of spirited dissenting opinions is impressive.  As precious as your time is, you unselfishly shared it with us.

You truly embody the spirit of Troopers helping (in this case, would-be) Troopers.

Let me say that knowing you (and some of my new friends from GGG) made me not only want to finish the armor, but be really a part of the 501st.

I'm sure I share this sense of gratefulness with countless others who were (or are still) in a similar journey as I was.

Cheers to UKSWRATH! 

thanks%20ukswrath_zps79i7vtjn.jpg

Wow Ricky, thank you for the kind words. I'm delighted to know this tutorial has helped others like yourself. I encourage everyone that learned something from it to pay it forward. Be a mentor to others and lend a hand to those in need. At the end of the day we're all just hobbyists looking to spacemen.

Cheers my fellow GGG brother :salute:   

• Like 3