The Ep. VII Blaster you've been waiting for... (Limited Run)

I love your willingness to update your current offer with extra accuracy enhancements! Blaster looks even nicer than before, and I'm glad those stickers worked out.

Just one thing, the rear section of the scope rail (the bridge starting from the rear sight) should be silver. It seems to be white at the moment.

Ya know, I'm on the edge on whether to change that or not. Griffin-X mentioned it in his feedback, but i've seen versions without it floating around the net. Not sure if there was a lack of consistency amongst the prop designers over at lucasfilm in that area. 

Here's an example: Knmbx0R.jpg

from wookienet. 

Of course, that version has some insane chrome paint going on too :P 

Indeed, consistency seems to be a real issue for those TFA blasters. I guess that with the wide amount of blasters they have made, it was inevitable.

I went back over my reference pictures and some of them seem to have a white scope rail indeed. But the major part of them appears silver ;):

--------------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 1/27/2016 at 4:18 AM, The5thHorseman said:

Indeed, consistency seems to be a real issue for those TFA blasters. I guess that with the wide amount of blasters they have made, it was inevitable.

I went back over my reference pictures and some of them seem to have a white scope rail indeed. But the major part of them appears silver ;):

-----------------

Those pictures look like lighting differences in that area, not necessarily color differences. Hmm. I think that may be part of the confusion, since we have such limited documentation, the lighting where the guys show up with them as well isn't perfect causing some distortion and obvious imbalances on the color. 

Notice the shadow cast from the black part on the end in this pic: http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/12/31/04/96/star-w11.jpg

The rear part of the scope is directly over that area, as well, so that could be a huge contributor to the shadow cast over the area, especially in this one: 

http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/12/31/04/96/blaste10.jpg

I am inclined to think it's gray, though, since that's what others say here. It just makes sense for it to be white, especially since that whole part seems to be connected with the other upper white parts, and the only grey/silver parts seem to be on major details of the gun like the scope, flashlight, rear end cap, and slide. Wouldn't make sense for just a part of the frame to be grey in that area. 

I think I will leave it white for now, given the evidence that points to it being white, unless someone has a very clear shot of it being grey/silver. Even if there is a clear shot, with the obvious inconsistency that still makes me unsure of what to do. 

Perhaps I need to go see the movie once more and focus on the blaster a bit to get a good idea for myself. 

Edited by gmrhodes13

Should also mention specifically for this one-------------------

Wasn't that taken on-stage at E3 or something? There's a few things to note about the lighting. Stage lighting has huge racks of lights, the purpose is to cover most of the stage in consistent amounts of light. If a shadow is cast over an object in front of one light, chances are another light, perhaps further down the rack and not pointed directly at the subject, will make-up for that shadow. This can often times cause color distortion, especially if there is a gel being used over the light - not that i think this is the case in this situation. 

Took a theater class in school, know a thing or two about stage lighting. I think that is the case in this image, we're seeing it being lit up less and that's causing it to look grey, since the rest of the blaster that doesn't have a shadow cast over it appears to be ice white. That part of the blaster has several objects around it that could cause a shadow to be cast as well, so it seems only in situations with permitting lighting do we see clearly that the blaster is white in that area. 

I think it's white. I'm almost positive it's white. Someone get JJ abrams on the phone, this is bugging me. :P 

Edited by gmrhodes13

OK this bugged me way too much, admittedly. I had the blaster around so I said frack it, I'll conduct a little experiment. 

Got all the lights turned off in my room, and put the blaster underneath the only directional lighting in my room - my desk lamp. This would simulate the directional spotlights that are present on stages, in conventions etc. 

Sure enough, the results point to it: 

nMVZxel.jpg

And for the smoking gun: 

suW514x.jpg

I am now 100% sure it is white, and this is the case we are seeing. 

so I guess it's good to wait for me to buy then :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, since if any updates occur to the blaster then they will be added onto yours before it ships. This is what I have been doing with all the orders, including the etsy ones. Waiting only makes your spot further back in line, which we are quickly approaching the first 20 orders... 

You can believe me when I say they're silver, I've been real close to what seems to be the real thing. And by "real close", I mean close enough to take pictures like that :):

12193610.jpg

Now I reckon they're promotional blasters, but all the other details were matching the ones we know were screen-used, so I think they're reliable in term of referencing.

12208310.jpg

• Like 2

You can believe me when I say they're silver, I've been real close to what seems to be the real thing. And by "real close", I mean close enough to take pictures like that :):

Now I reckon they're promotional blasters, but all the other details were matching the ones we know were screen-used, so I think they're reliable in term of referencing.

Man and my lighting theory was so convincing to me. :P I'm glad we have a clear photo of that now! Off to make amends... 

• Like 1

I dig what you have done with the updates. Personally, the scope rail on mine is going to be silver. I know there are inconsistencies (as with most onscreen props), even the Wired photos show an end cap upside down. Those of us who do costumes can attest to little differences here and there, too (greeblies missing on some scouts, etc). It's just my preference to baseline it and silver is the direction I'm going with mine.

However, the white option allows a customer to easily paint theirs silver, if so inclined. So either way I think your product looks nice man. Kudos!

• Like 2

Hey Heston,

Fantastic work!  I had a couple of questions.  From all the pics it looks like the front grip can pivot down but I didn't see any specific pics so I wanted to know if it can or if it's stuck closed.  Another question I had was about the ability to fit Electronics to light up the Henslinger counter and possibly the clip.  Wondering if the counter can be modified with slots so the LEDs can shine through if installed...  something to think about.

Hey Heston,

Fantastic work! I had a couple of questions. From all the pics it looks like the front grip can pivot down but I didn't see any specific pics so I wanted to know if it can or if it's stuck closed. Another question I had was about the ability to fit Electronics to light up the Henslinger counter and possibly the clip. Wondering if the counter can be modified with slots so the LEDs can shine through if installed... something to think about.

yes it can pivot down. how well it can pivot down depends on your own handy work. I think it's mentioned in the very first post.

for the counter, I dremeled through the 3 slots (carefully) to make lights shine through.

*edit* I was mistaken and thought this was another thread I was subscribed to.

but yes, see below comment :)

Edited by chosendragon

Hey Heston,

Fantastic work!  I had a couple of questions.  From all the pics it looks like the front grip can pivot down but I didn't see any specific pics so I wanted to know if it can or if it's stuck closed.  Another question I had was about the ability to fit Electronics to light up the Henslinger counter and possibly the clip.  Wondering if the counter can be modified with slots so the LEDs can shine through if installed...  something to think about.

I can't believe It totally slipped my mind to mention the functioning grip! It absolutely does swivel back and forth and has a locking lip. Attaching a pic - 

gaFR1nnh.jpg

The clip could certainly be modified, but not the henslinger necessarily since it isn't hollow by design. If you attempt to drill into the henslinger, you will hit the infill on the print and things will likely end up very messy... 

I am working on a version that includes electronics for a special person here, no word on the price or anything just yet. Hopefully I'll have some pics to share of that soon ;) 

• Like 4

I am working on a version that includes electronics for a special person here, no word on the price or anything just yet. Hopefully I'll have some pics to share of that soon  ;)

Hey Heston, just to let you know that I'm now totally fine if you want to use my hollow version of both hengstler and magazine. I'm working on an update now, but should be online today of tomorrow if you want to have a look.

• Like 3