E-11S - Sniper Rifle

When this thread was posted a little while back, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32527-sniper-blaster-rifle/I thought "cool, gotta build myself one of them just for fun". So I've started. Not being a canon weapon within Star Wars, I'll post it here in the General Section and see if there's any interest to what I'm doing.

This is the inspiration:

E11s_sniper_rifle-EtU_zpsrg5ifwlk.jpg

Step 1: Acquire about 1500mm long piece of 38mm aluminium pipe, lay templates and proceed to drill 296 holes!

P1030277_zps3irkmy4u.jpg

P1030279_zpsudkaptcr.jpg

And so the saga begins..... Feel free to check in, like, leave comments, whatever and I'll keep the build log going...

Cheers

• Like 4

Super, super cool, I'll be watching this one. Just be ready to make changes, as there are problems with that concept sketch. It has a butt stock AND a folding stock, which, I might add, is ridiculously long.

A quick Google image search of "E-11s" shows multiple interpretations of what it should look like, but I think I like the old Battlefront one the most, which is almost a DLT-19 with a super scope of some kind.

Good luck!

Bill

Holy cow! That was a whole lot of holes to drill. Looks like this is going to be a really cool weapon. Excited to follow your build Ian! Best of luck on this.

Haha, thanks Brian. 2 weeks after drilling the holes I'm still getting grief from my wife who keeps stepping on metal shavings in the garage...

Super, super cool, I'll be watching this one. Just be ready to make changes, as there are problems with that concept sketch. It has a butt stock AND a folding stock, which, I might add, is ridiculously long.

A quick Google image search of "E-11s" shows multiple interpretations of what it should look like, but I think I like the old Battlefront one the most, which is almost a DLT-19 with a super scope of some kind.

Good luck!

Bill

With you there Bill. I guess I could have just made the folding stock fixed to keep the 'look', but I've decided to ditch it in favour of other goodies. When you google sniper rifle, the above pic comes up together with the slightly modified DLT, so this build will be a bit of a combination of everything - E-11, DLT, F-11D, chinese eBay stuff......

Edited by Sith Lord

Bulk of the resin parts I'll be using are from a free (Thanks Chris) DVH kit. I'm guessing it's a version 1 kit as it's different to my other E-11 build and has the 2 piece grip. I won't go into all the details and pictures other than to say this kit needs A LOT of clean up. It has some very good details, but some terrible ones too. Hengstler counter will be from a Doopy Doo part as the DVH was beyond use.

First mod - the trigger. Hah, not really, just a lot of green stuff to bring it back into shape. That's the sort of stuff I'm dealing with. Hey, it was free :)

P1030341_zpsgzyd09kt.jpg

Will post up more later tonight

Disclaimer - These are pretty crap pieces so will have a lot of green stuff and putty/filler on them. Pics won't look super great until primer is on. Stay with me....

First mod - The Magazine release catch. Yes, totally pointless, but I like things that move and click :). After seeing the mod done recently (I won't name names, as I'll probably forgot who did it first or who did it best, but you know who you are...). Found these lamp switches at Jaycar. Seemed to be about the right size for what I wanted.

P1030345_zpstao6sohd.jpgP1030344_zpsgaayxkng.jpg

Cut whopping big hole in magazine housing
P1030358_zpsygm4g89c.jpg

Trim down switch so above hole can be smaller
P1030357_zpskqt6xacx.jpg

Switch in and green stuff around opening
P1030362_zpsqruk5rjz.jpg

Button up
P1030367_zpskvsdqkdh.jpg

And down
P1030368_zpse9pinktm.jpg

Ejector was still drying, so retaining screw will be drilled in there shortly..
Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 2

This is awesome!!!  :salute:

You knew you were probably going to get "non-canon" comments, but this rifle seems like something that could have existed.

Good for you for having the courage to create something cool!

I have a suggestion for the double stock "problem"...

Since this is a sniper rifle, why not keep the folding stock the original length and split it down the middle to make it into a bipod?

The pivot becomes a more complicated to allow the "legs" to fold out, but there has to be a piece you could steal from another rifle to make it work...

You would still have the classic Sterling/E-11 profile, but have a functional reason for the front mechanism.

For the buttstock, I would opt for something like the AR15 collapsable stock.

If you found the right size, this part could literally be inserted into the back of the Sterling receiver.

Just a thought.

More updates soon?  :)

Aaron

Trust you to come up with a good idea Aaron! And thank you Chris. Glad you could stop by :)

Hmmm, I was thinking something along the lines of this:

wm_1387646_zps77eg7euj.jpg

with a folding tactical grip (like the one in front of the magazine above), with perhaps a bipod up front - DLT19-esque. But could I make a standard folding stock into a bipod? I'm not very clever when it comes to that. Making something that works from scratch while maintaining the strength it will need. Can I buy a bipod and put the folding stock section onto the legs? Let me think on that one some more.

And yes, and update to come tonight :)

Yep, you've got it!

I like the tactical grip idea - that fills in the gap.

Instead of one really long folding stock, you could have two pieces that appear as one piece when folded.

Part of the original folding stock could be the bipod legs and the rear portion could be the tactical grip.

Wicked fun!

Trigger: Inserting a ballpoint pen spring to act as the trigger spring has become common practise these days, but I wanted something with a bit of noise! Why not use the same switch as I did the Magazine release button. Something like this:

Two piece grip has made it a little easier to work with :)

P1030342_zpsfpz3n6n9.jpg

Time to bust out the dremel to get that sucker in there

P1030346_zpsfbnqqstt.jpg

P1030347_zpsrxjw3id0.jpg

P1030348_zpsk738l41y.jpg

Forward/Back

P1030349_zpssn7gxkqy.jpg

P1030350_zps4aim8vqn.jpg

Puttied over and loosely put back together

P1030371_zpszuhkqy71.jpg

And a bit of Youtube action (turn your volume up!)

Other minor grip mods coming up in a few minutes....

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

My previous selector switch http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29089-dvh-pipe-build-with-extras/page-3?  was nice but a lot of work, so I took an easier option for this build. A 2.5mm jack connection:

P1030352_zpsx2l7enru.jpg

The obligatory dremel carving

P1030353_zpspav5kgrf.jpg

P1030354_zpsgtykgvu4.jpg

Male pin epoxy'd in:

P1030355_zpso39hwbiu.jpg

The pieces about to go together

P1030370_zpsvxu6bqoj.jpg

And together

P1030371_zpszuhkqy71.jpg

More good things about this kit are the 2 piece grip, as mentioned earlier, the way the trigger guard goes on - it can be installed without glue! Although it's a bit loose, so I probably will glue it.

Ok, so waiting for a few parts to come in, Tino's completion set, and some drawings to do on this stock/bipod idea.....

Thanks for checking in. Any feedback welcome.

Ian

Edited by Sith Lord

That 2 piece grip really is an advantage when it comes down to mods like this. Wish I had such a grip too.

Your "clicking trigger" seems to work fine and you've done a good job to get it working like that. Very nice idea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More progress being made, slowly.... Got lots of parts on order, patiently waiting.... Got Tino's completion set in today. Only got a few items as a lot of the detail isn't required in my build, but most helpful. And those famous jelly's! Thanks mate. Main thing I'm waiting on which a lot of other ideas are reliant on, is my rear Stock. Awaiting this to be 3D printed for me. Will post pics when I have something half-exciting to show.

Also got a bit sidetracked as we have a troop coming up in a couple of weeks - a Convoy for Cancer where motorcycles and trucks convoys to raise money for Cancer. And I've decided to ride in Snowtrooper kit, so I'm trying to make my motorbike helmet look like a snowtrooper! Pics to come :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Post those pics when you get your helmet finished. Sounds like a super troop for a great cause.

A couple of pics here Brian

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35263-convoy-for-cancer-australia/