Pyrates AP Build and Journey to The 501st

(Big frustrated sigh) so I just tried a dry fit with inner strip on - ya that ain't gonna work. Started cutting off circulation and I refuse to take a heat gun to the parts. I don't want to bug Andrew or Tony again as those guys have enough to do already - maybe I'll just leave the forearms as is once they are glued again. I'll be ready when the big red marker comes out, I just don't know how it can be corrected and I don't have extra parts to experiment on. Buying other parts to mix and match is not an option either as I'm completely tapped out after my hand guards... ugh maybe I'm just overdoing it - I just want to ensure that my Centurion represents the title and makes both me and my FISD proud.

Regrettably my friends I think I need to AWOL for a bit. I'm not giving up, but this labor of love has started to wear on me with having to adapt and adjust everything to work.

I'm running out of back-up plans and options with a new problem around every corner. I know it can be done but there has to be some leeway at some point. I'm only 6' for goodness sake - it's not like I'm that much taller than the standard trooper.

Cheers mates, I'll be back again after some down time - frustration is just part of the journey and it's how we choose to react to it that steers our path.

Keep calm and FISD on

• Like 3

Aaron - Deep relaxing breath..  Listen to this. It helps me sometimes.

Listen, I don't have a lot of experience but I have been reading thread after thread of builds, tutorials, videos, and talking to everyone I can as well as watching you guys progress in your builds. What I can say is that all comes in time. This is a "Journey" to the 501st and it's part of the whole process.

Don't be afraid to reach out to Tony and Andrew.. I doubt you are bugging them. FISD Is about troopers helping troopers and Members of the 501st are like a family willing to help. They were once where you are now. Besides I have to bug someone when I'm stuck in my build don't I?

I understand the money thing.. but why do you have to do everything at once?

With my Armor not here I have been trying to clear up the little things that I'll need and spreading out the spending money wise. If I run into issues.. well it's just one way to say slow down. Nothing is ever perfect.

Everything can be resolved in time. This leads me back to a very good quote from someone in all of our Pasts... Sir Winston Churchill wrote "If you are going through Hell, Keep going". I've lived by those words through many challenges in my life.

Keep your chin up, take a step back, re-evaluate, and move along forward.. :)

• Like 2

Take your time mate, we will be here. Sometimes taking a break does help. Try looking up forearm suggestions from other threads, it may give you some ideas... Although I'm pretty sure you've done this, as you seem to be pretty thorough on your own.<br><br>

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is... I'd try to help, but a little confused as to why they are cutting off circulation. Take whatever time you desire, and hope you get back to putting it all together again soon. We are all here for you.<br><br>

Reach out to Tim, Tony, and Andrew, maybe others will chime in too.

• Like 2

Aaron - Deep relaxing breath.. Listen to this. It helps me sometimes.

Listen, I don't have a lot of experience but I have been reading thread after thread of builds, tutorials, videos, and talking to everyone I can as well as watching you guys progress in your builds. What I can say is that all comes in time. This is a "Journey" to the 501st and it's part of the whole process.

Don't be afraid to reach out to Tony and Andrew.. I doubt you are bugging them. FISD Is about troopers helping troopers and Members of the 501st are like a family willing to help. They were once where you are now. Besides I have to bug someone when I'm stuck in my build don't I?

I understand the money thing.. but why do you have to do everything at once?

With my Armor not here I have been trying to clear up the little things that I'll need and spreading out the spending money wise. If I run into issues.. well it's just one way to say slow down. Nothing is ever perfect.

Everything can be resolved in time. This leads me back to a very good quote from someone in all of our Pasts... Sir Winston Churchill wrote "If you are going through Hell, Keep going". I've lived by those words through many challenges in my life.

Keep your chin up, take a step back, re-evaluate, and move along forward.. :)

Beautifully said and concur part of my problem is my self inflicted high standard and expectation probably a by product from the army.

These Centurion standards are created so that they can be achieved and I will achieve it - I just don't want the frustration to take away from the journey

After what my family and I survived last year nothing is going to stop me from joining the ranks - I just need more clearly defined guidelines on what's acceptable for larger troopers.

And I assure that after all of this I will make a guidelines thread so that others don't have as difficult of a time.

• Like 1

Forearm looks good!<br><br>

Personally, I used the extra cutoff as the inner strip, so that it was nice and thin, as well as letting me see if the size was right before applying outer strips. I figured if I had to destroy an inner strip, that is less noticeable/more easily fixed than an outer strip.

Take your time mate, we will be here. Sometimes taking a break does help. Try looking up forearm suggestions from other threads, it may give you some ideas... Although I'm pretty sure you've done this, as you seem to be pretty thorough on your own.<br><br>

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is... I'd try to help, but a little confused as to why they are cutting off circulation. Take whatever time you desire, and hope you get back to putting it all together again soon. We are all here for you.<br><br>

Reach out to Tim, Tony, and Andrew, maybe others will chime in too.

Danimal - my Captain and my friend - I will get a hold of the powers that be and also look into that app that the guys use to illustrate where the deficiencies are so I can better show my problems and get more support and advice.

You know I don't give up so easily, maybe I'll deem my forearms "Dan II"

• Like 1

Forearm looks good!<br><br>

Personally, I used the extra cutoff as the inner strip, so that it was nice and thin, as well as letting me see if the size was right before applying outer strips. I figured if I had to destroy an inner strip, that is less noticeable/more easily fixed than an outer strip.

Stellar advice mate - thank-you truly I will experiment with that!

After a few days off to regroup and plan my next attack.

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Danimal - my Captain and my friend - I will get a hold of the powers that be and also look into that app that the guys use to illustrate where the deficiencies are so I can better show my problems and get more support and advice.

You know I don't give up so easily, maybe I'll deem my forearms "Dan II"

There's an app for that??
  • Like 1

Yea you're bugging me, REALLY!? I thought we were close, ya know brothers man, where's the love? lol  :laugh1: As Angie said breathe... we good? ok let's tackle this thing.

Are you saying your forearms are too snug, even without inner cover strips? Which I hope you know are not required btw. 

Looking great btw Aaron. 

• Like 4

Yea you're bugging me, REALLY!? I thought we were close, ya know brothers man, where's the love? lol :laugh1: As Angie said breathe... we good? ok let's tackle this thing.

Are you saying your forearms are too snug, even without inner cover strips? Which I hope you know are not required btw.

Looking great btw Aaron.

Sorry Tony, I just don't like to impose (big brotherly hug) - I have a lot of respect for peoples and their time.

The forearms - at the elbow - where the cover strips are secured are biting into the top muscle and bottom muscle of forearm due to the shape of the mold being more oval than round.

• Like 2

That's the way they're molded - so once I get the cover strip back on unfortunately that's the best I can do and rest is out of my control.

No need to round nothing, human forearms are not round to begin with, mine anyways LOL!,  lately I've been seeing alot of overdone mods which actually make armor more innaccurate :(  make your research and check photos of the real suit before doing any mods.

check original ANH forearms  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/3163-imgp0111/

To loose forearms you can increase the inner forearm arch.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 3

A-A-ron, if you need a little bit of space gap it some. So what you'll do is put the finishing strip on but not to the edge of the ridge line, then glue to the other side the same way. Or if you don't want to have extra ridge exposed, use a larger cover strip on the backside. Do you have your forearms scalloped some? I had to fine tune mine to eliminate some bites I was getting when I bent my arm. 

• Like 2

No need to round nothing, human forearms are not round to begin with, mine anyways LOL!, lately I've been seeing alot of overdone mods which actually make armor more innaccurate :( make your research and check photos of the real suit before doing any mods.

Mark (AP)

Cheers Mark! I appreciate it good sir - yes I pride myself on my research. I'm not going to modify anything that's formed (with the exception of converting my helmet to a hero and the kidney notch which is easy peasy stuff lol now) as you and I both know what happens when we say the word heat gun. I do however have to ensure comfort and really believe I have to increase the size of the forearms and cut new cover strips to accommodate. I'm just trying to keep everything proportional and uniform. Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

A-A-ron, if you need a little bit of space gap it some. So what you'll do is put the finishing strip on but not to the edge of the ridge line, then glue to the other side the same way. Or if you don't want to have extra ridge exposed, use a larger cover strip on the backside. Do you have your forearms scalloped some? I had to fine tune mine to eliminate some bites I was getting when I bent my arm.

Thank-you my 2 I/C, what do you mean by scalloped?

Sorry Tony, I just don't like to impose (big brotherly hug) - I have a lot of respect for peoples and their time.

The forearms - at the elbow - where the cover strips are secured are biting into the top muscle and bottom muscle of forearm due to the shape of the mold being more oval than round.

As Mark mentioned the armor is asymmetrical. He also mentioned human arms are different also. In some cases the two have difficulty fitting correctly. In this case you may need to give them a hot water bath to even things out, not for aesthetic reasons but for the comfort. Something you may have to consider.

Note: If you can roll the forearms around your arm and find the sweet spot of comfort then the water bath may be a good idea, if not you may to take the cover strips back off, create some space between the two halves then reinstall the cover strips.

• Like 3

As Mark mentioned the armor is asymmetrical. He also mentioned human arms are different also. In some cases the two have difficulty fitting correctly. In this case you may need to give them a hot water bath to even things out, not for aesthetic reasons but for the comfort. Something you may have to consider.

Note: If you can roll the forearms around your arm and find the sweet spot of comfort then the water bath may be a good idea, if not you may to take the cover strips back off, create some space between the two halves then reinstall the cover strips.

(Smacking my forehead) brilliant!

Truly grateful - I only need a little space so I will give that a go!

Now can I do that with cover strips on, as I'm thinking that the heat will affect the E-6000?

Silly question that I think I know the answer too but want to be sure.

• Like 1

Now can I do that with cover strips on, as I'm thinking that the heat will affect the E-6000?

Silly question that I think I know the answer too but want to be sure.

Yes however, (disclaimer lol) as long as the cover strip glue has had ample time to cure, your water isn't above the boiling point and you don't leave then in for too long you should be ok, if not they come loose depending on how much stress you exert in a specific area. If they come loose in the process you just have to reinstall them, whatever. 

• Like 2