Pyrates AP Build and Journey to The 501st

May need to trim more, so,as to get more plastic for snap plates?

Lots more trimming to do for snap plates as well as cover strips.

I decided to just take it easy tonight and work some more on my helmet - both eyes are now fully cut out and sanded. Started the other side of my teeth making sure they're square - cheers Jason.

Also got a chance to catch up on some fellow AP recruit threads which is stellar to see come to fruition.

What a great day with some great conversations - cheers to all!

• Like 2

Lots more trimming to do for snap plates as well as cover strips.

I decided to just take it easy tonight and work some more on my helmet - both eyes are now fully cut out and sanded. Started the other side of my teeth making sure they're square - cheers Jason.

Also got a chance to catch up on some fellow AP recruit threads which is stellar to see come to fruition.

What a great day with some great conversations - cheers to all!

This sounds quite painful, and it's all self inflicted? I hope we are still talking about armour lol
  • Like 2

Looking good mate, just wondering, did you stick something under the ab button plate to pack it out in order to stick it to the ab plate?

Unfortunately, I forgot to do that in my haste to clamp the panel on back on after my dry test. The plate is on there pretty snug but wish I had remembered to put the support back in for piece of mind.

Unfortunately, I forgot to do that in my haste to clamp the panel on back on after my dry test. The plate is on there pretty snug but wish I had remembered to put the support back in for piece of mind.

Wait until it falls off, then add support later?

Right then, I just wanted to share this little trick from my biceps to help make it easier for others regarding making false return edges. The CRL picture shows what looks to be almost no return edges on the bottom of the bicep and a return edge on top - PLEASE NOTE - There is no written requirement for return edges on the bicep. I have seen other builds with and without return edges so I draw the conclusion that this is a personal preference (possibly due to variation in armor molds).

Take your first trimmed bicep and lay it over the other, trace it while holding the two together tightly. Presto! Line transfer for easy cutting.

175B43B0-8E9A-4D97-91AA-F47A505C28DA_zps

1FCB2DA8-0FCA-41FA-ADF3-32DDBCFE71ED_zps

06D19EC5-ACA1-4953-8624-4138DFE34D81_zps

3775E187-451E-48C1-8673-21EEE8D16E04_zps

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 4

For ANH biceps, the top of them will be covered by the shoulder bell... May want to keep this in mind...

Aye Danimal! - I'm simply doing it to err on the side of caution. I'm a "It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" person. Mike (TrooperBay) does it in his videos but he's also not trimming AP armor.

• Like 2

I was up till midnight last night, and all but 3 teeth left to trim. I'm finally happy to report that all preliminary trimming on the armor is done. Now to start finishing touches phase - one spot I noticed when sending supernaut11 a picture of my inner thigh so I will be going over everything like I did when preparing for kit inspection in the army while trying to channel Andrew and Tony through my eyes - should be fun lol.

• Like 1

Time for the "never-ending sanding" phase? ...just when you think you're done, you find another spot to sand.... Aaaaahhhh, the smell of sanded ABS, I remember it well. :)

Happy to report that I have been sanding after trimming mate - that's why my trimming took longer - the belt cover buttons I found the hardest due their size (my thumb and index finger are hair trigger sensitive now and may be a while before I have fingerprints again lol)

• Like 1

Good plan! However, I would be surprised if you don't find a few areas to re-sand... I was borderline OCD about sanding my kits...

You are totally right as my OCD and commitment to Centurion have me pulling out the magnifying lens