AP ESB Build WIP

Sorry Guys. I'm still trying to get organized in the house. replaced the fridge today. Have to get unpacked and put things away. To top it off my cat got a hairline fracture exploring the tops of shelves in the basement so that set me back a bit... I'll try to get back at it as soon as I can.

Ā 

I keep seeing all this stuff about this kidney notch. ABS paste and all this nonsense I made some myself do I need to do the same thing for ESB?

• Like 1

Sorry Guys. I'm still trying to get organized in the house. replaced the fridge today. Have to get unpacked and put things away. To top it off my cat got a hairline fracture exploring the tops of shelves in the basement so that set me back a bit... I'll try to get back at it as soon as I can.

Ā 

I keep seeing all this stuff about this kidney notch. ABS paste and all this nonsense I made some myself do I need to do the same thing for ESB?

You don't have to go to the extent I am with my kidney notch mate - I just wanted to try and make it look the best that I can for Centurion. I have seen people just cut the notch and leave the indentation that remains as well as another who filled the rest in with paste.

Ā 

You're a skinny guy so you may not need to do anything at all!

Ā 

If you are going Centurion you are required to have the 22mm X 22mm notch.

Ā 

If you are going 501st approval then the only thing required is a separate kidney and posterior armor which is part of the AP armor so you're set.

Ā 

As for your build progress - don't worry - plastic spacemen can wait and we are always here

• Like 1

The one item is was pondering in using for the notch was that "Fix-it Stik" epoxy stuff you used for your eyes but was concerned about polishing after and the sheen of the plastic.

• Like 1

The one item is was pondering in using for the notch was that "Fix-it Stik" epoxy stuff you used for your eyes but was concerned about polishing after and the sheen of the plastic.

Ā 

Yeah that is definitely an interesting thought. It's pretty great stuff and for 8 bucks it will last you a while the problem is it is not white. you can sand it and polish to a nice sheen though. I'd definitely try it out on some scrap brother.

• Like 1

As you can see I am going extremely slow on the ears... Maybe I should try another part of the armour.... Ā Better safe than sorry... again

20160301_221837_zpsief8k8ix.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Also I', trimming exactly on the mold lines from Mark (AP)'s inside and let me tell you follow these it make it a lot easier

Ā 

20160301_223548_zpsukaz7oki.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

And here's some Mesh lol

Ā 

20160301_230510_zpsfqmxlvbq.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Also what do you think I sanded the hell out of this thing to get it alright...

Ā 

20160301_230321_zpslapbksuq.jpg

20160301_230327_zpsojfalbmn.jpg

If you can score some red and green handled tin snips it will allow you to cut under control the major parts leaving some meat behind for you to fine tune out with a dremel and or micro file

• Like 2

Exactly I have those snips and I was following your lead Aaron, I saw you using this technique on your build thread

Ā 

If you can score some red and green handled tin snips it will allow you to cut under control the major parts leaving some meat behind for you to fine tune out with a dremel and or micro file

• Like 2

Correct use the inside trim line and earsĀ should fit almost perfect, the only areas which will require a bit of extra trimming is only the back side of the ears to conform to helmet tube shape as show in photo.

Ā 

Ā 

ear%20trimming.jpg

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

Correct use the inside trim line and ears should fit almost perfect, the only areas which will require a bit of extra trimming is only the back side of the ears to conform to helmet tube shape as show in photo.

Ā 

Ā 

ear%20trimming.jpg

Exactly Mark. I will work slow and trim little by little. The back may need a little extra to close off the gap but your form lines are spot on!
  • Like 2

Like I said I'm going super slow on this literally a mm at a time, fitting the ears marking where to trim next, fitting and repeat. I probably still have 3 or 4 mm of meat still on there

• Like 1

Like I said I'm going super slow on this literally a mm at a time, fitting the ears marking where to trim next, fitting and repeat. I probably still have 3 or 4 mm of meat still on there

You're doing great Dave - I just didn't want you to cut yourself again Keep it up mate!

• Like 2

Thanks man, it's very frustrating not to get instant gratification for this, but rushing as well as over thinking has proven several times to be a dangerous enemy.

• Like 2

Thanks man, it's very frustrating not to get instant gratification for this, but rushing as well as over thinking has proven several times to be a dangerous enemy.

Those two things always are and lead to anxiety... Go slow, no worries

• Like 2

I also think starting with the helmet might have been a bad decision. At the same time perhaps working with a part as intricate as this might make the other parts of the armour more manageable. Heck easier even lol.

• Like 2

Patience for quality is a fair trade - I can relate to watching others pass you on the build schedule can be discouraging however it's not a race (as you already know) - it's the personal drive and determination to our goal of joining the old dawgs of the 501st that eats at us.

Ā 

When I went to school for my Journeyman Test, I was the last to finish, as a matter of fact 1 hour after everyone else, funny thing was I got the top mark in the class in my weakest area (fabricating sheet metal fittings).

Ā 

We will get there my friend and remember: you're not alone climbing this mountain -

Ā 

Whoo-Wahhh!

• Like 2

Patience for quality is a fair trade - I can relate to watching others pass you on the build schedule can be discouraging however it's not a race (as you already know) - it's the personal drive and determination to our goal of joining the old dawgs of the 501st that eats at us.

When I went to school for my Journeyman Test, I was the last to finish, as a matter of fact 1 hour after everyone else, funny thing was I got the top mark in the class in my weakest area (fabricating sheet metal fittings).

We will get there my friend and remember: you're not alone climbing this mountain -

Whoo-Wahhh!

And the Legion will always be around, even if you finish next year or two lol
  • Like 2